The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 Ford f350 7.3 My water in fuel light check engine light, and wait to start light come on and the truck dies there it's a clicking sound under the hood on the passenger side. It will restart after i give it a while.. it only does it when it is warmed up...I have changed the fuel filter, washed out the fuel tank, cause I thought I had water in my fuel..... but that's not the case.... I read that it was most likely a short over the driver side valve cover I couldn't find any bare wires there....I taped them any way.... I read that it could be the cps..... but it's not throwing any codes.... I am at a loss any one have any ideas.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Since you mentioned your check engine light is on but that your truck isn’t throwing any codes what type of scanner did you use? The code readers at the auto part stores won’t work, you’ll need to find someone who has a scanner for our Ford Trucks. Worth checking before assuming its a glitch along with the water in fuel and wait to start light.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
12V system.
How old are your batteries?
Have you checked their voltages after they have each sat disconnected overnight?

·
Premium Member
14,604 Posts
It doesn’t have to be a short in a wire. A sensor in the control voltage line that goes bad can cause this and based on your code, it likely is the EBP sensor. That’s actually one that frequently bites the dust. Unplug it and see if the engine stays running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried unplugging it.... it does the same thing.... could it be stuck or something? Do you know anything about the ROM error code?

·
Premium Member
14,604 Posts
P0605 in the manual says read only memory failure. It says to reflash the PCM and then try it again. If the code goes away, great - if not replace the PCM. My concern with doing that is what if the "failure" is that the voltage spiked during a read attempt and that was the cause. Which sensor did you unplug? The one at the tube in front of the water pump or the EBP valve at the base of the turbo?

Are you sure about P0693? That's not a 7.3 code. I think that has something to do with electric cooling fans. P0683 is a code which would show up on California trucks with a glow plug module failure. The P0472 is the code for the EBP sensor - indicates the values are lower than expected. That would be consistent with a sensor failure or a tube blockage or leak. P0476 means the valve didn't respond as expected, but that is measure through the change in the sensor's readings of pressure - which still points at the sensor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P0605 in the manual says read only memory failure. It says to reflash the PCM and then try it again. If the code goes away, great - if not replace the PCM. My concern with doing that is what if the "failure" is that the voltage spiked during a read attempt and that was the cause. Which sensor did you unplug? The one at the tube in front of the water pump or the EBP valve at the base of the turbo?

Are you sure about P0693? That's not a 7.3 code. I think that has something to do with electric cooling fans. P0683 is a code which would show up on California trucks with a glow plug module failure. The P0472 is the code for the EBP sensor - indicates the values are lower than expected. That would be consistent with a sensor failure or a tube blockage or leak. P0476 means the valve didn't respond as expected, but that is measure through the change in the sensor's readings of pressure - which still points at the sensor.
Ok so I have a bunch more codes and it started and than died and the batteries are all the sudden dead...
P0693 is me fat fingering the keyboard. It should be p0693 the KAM err..
So here are the new codes
P1316 injector driver
P1247 boost pressure low
P1218 CID high
P1278 cylinder # 8 to low side open...
P1294 injector high side open bank two..
Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so I have a bunch more codes and it started and than died and the batteries are all the sudden dead...
P0693 is me fat fingering the keyboard. It should be p0693 the KAM err..
So here are the new codes
P1316 injector driver
P1247 boost pressure low
P1218 CID high
P1278 cylinder # 8 to low side open...
P1294 injector high side open bank two..
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also replaced there fuel tank since it was degrading replaced fuel pump. Blew out lines.

Does if have a fuel pressure regulator? Could that be bad? Does that throw its own code?

·
Super Moderator
25,337 Posts
P1316, P1278, P1294 indicate problems with the driver's side injector wiring. Could be the Under Valve Cover Harness (UVCH) or external to the VC.
P1218 indicates a there may be a problem with wiring between the PCM and IDM. Any evidence of rodents or water getting at the harnesses?
The fuel pressure regulator is on the driver's side of the fuel filter housing where the return line connects. You won't get codes from the fuel system. It's not monitored by the PCM, other than the fuel pump circuit.

Get the batteries up to snuff and then deal with the injector wiring. With batteries low, some of the codes may be phantom codes. Once the batteries are good check the codes again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok changed the fuel tank and fuel pump.... getting same codes.....well the injector codes... can't run the KOER as soon as I plug in the obd2 the truck dies. And wont start again. If I wait 20 min or so it will start..... lots of smoke at start and runs rough..... those are new...

I am really at a loss.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No rodents or water. Do you have a diagram ti show me where the pcm and idm are? Also could you direct me how to test continuity between them?

Could fuel pressure cause any of this?

·
Super Moderator
25,337 Posts
Fuel pressure won't cause any of the codes you saw, but it wouldn't hurt to confirm you have adequate pressure.

The PCM is mounted inside the cab above the parking brake pedal. The connector goes thru the firewall and is oriented vertically. The IDM is mounted inside the driver's side fender where the F-X50 badge is. You need to remove the fender liner to get to it. As far as testing continuity, you'll need to get hold of a wiring diagram.

As I said earlier, that P1218 could be a phantom code. I would worry about the injector codes before anything else. Just take one step at a time.

By the way, I've consolidated your two threads into this one. Since it was the same problem, everyone needs to be on the same page.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked for continuity for all injectors and and glow plugs ay the 9 pin connectors..... 3.5 on all the injectors..... 1.5 on the glow plugs except the back 2 on the passenger side. The don't read anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I suspect the oil pressure sensor on the back of the engine is leaking would that cause any of this?

·
Super Moderator
25,337 Posts
I suspect the oil pressure sensor on the back of the engine is leaking would that cause any of this?
There's no oil pressure sensor on the back of the engine. There's only the ICP sensor on the driver's head just behind the alternator, and the oil pressure switch on top of the High Pressure Oil Pump reservoir.
There is a plug on the front and rear of each head for the HP oil gallery, that if leaking would possibly cause HP oil pressure to be too low to start. But a leak there would be evident by the puddle underneath the truck. And no, a leak wouldn't cause those codes.

On your glow plugs, the ones that don't read (your meter probably doesn't move on infinite resistance or open circuit). Those two are bad or the UVCH connector is loose. But if the UVCH was that loose, you'd probably have the injectors on those two cylinders inoperative as well, and your codes don't indicate that. Therefore, you have two dead glow plugs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So where does that leave me? Would the glow plugs cause the codes? What should I do next?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So from the 42 pin connector I have 8ohms on number 2 and 3.5 on the rest.... at the nine pin connector I had 3.5 on everything.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts