The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my last trip i was getting water in fuel lights. Stopped and drained the separator. I got about a 1/4 teaspoon of water and what looked like rust scale. Got the light again and had a mechanic drain it. He did into an oil drain pan so I have no idea what came. out. Got it again and I drained it. very little water but still to rust scale. I gave it an extra shot of Stanadyne and continued. The light came on again but went out shortly thereafter.

My question is what was that rust scale like matter I saw in the fuel. I did not touch it so I can not say for sure it it was in fact rust or algye.

I am home now and will drain the separator but could use some ideas as to what to look for.

The truck does sit for weeks at a time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can't help you as to where the rust is coming from, but when I had the persistent water light I cleaned out the water separator with brake cleaning fluid which cleaned out the flakes residing in the unit. I suspect there was some trash blocking/covering the sensor

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did you stop the fuel flow to have the separator clear to use the brake cleaner. I assume you allowed the brake cleaner to evaporate before replacing the plug.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts