The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
8,791 Posts
I live in the salt belt. I see bolts seize in all sorts of places but if they don’t use salt where you live, you will probably ok as Kevin said.
I put the socket and extension on the bolt head. The bolt is flange headed so when you hit the end of the extension, you are applying inward force. This eases the tension between the threads of the bolt and cover that occurs when the bolt tightens against the pump. It also can upset any corrosion bond that has occurred to the threads if in fact it did occur. That upset effect will be pend on the amount of corrosion and amount of inward force. Regarding inward force… Don’t go full on Viking like blows. Those are aluminum threads those bolts are going into so tapping is the appropriate force. Do not use air or electric tools to turn the bolt. If you experience resistance the second the bolt breaks free, instantly stop, reverse direction, stop, reverse slowly, stop, reverse direction, stop, reverse direction. Try not to fight resistance in just one direction.

8,791 Posts
You should not sweat it. I’ve only seen it on trucks that are out in that stuff for days straight plowing. I’ve only seen it once on a regular truck.
As to the the thermostat housing, that it has a flared up perimeter on the topside. Years of road water and daily nighttime condensation runs down the shaft of those three vertical bolts into the threads. When you finish installing the new housing, spray it’s top with Fluid Film. This will keep water away.
You will need to buy or rent a tool kit to get your fan clutch off.
Wear leather gloves and watch the fan. I’ve seen some fans that were sharp as razor blades. You will also need a large 1/2 inch breaker bar for one of the tool in the kit that fits beside the heads of the water pump pulley bolt heads, that keeps it from turning.
Don’t sweat this.

8,791 Posts
Never underestimate the power of crossing the fingers. Often times I do that as well as crossing my piggy toes, although I tend to reserve that action for only the worse cases. Once I did that and it caused horrible arch crapping. Customer rolled up and I’m in a chair with me shows off and I am grinding my fist into my arched, massaging and cussing. Customer asked, What the flip did you do? I said, Don’t ask and back off for a few minutes.
One must use extreme caution when attempting to cross all of the piggy toes.

8,791 Posts
Buy the 3 Ford factory manuals. Buy the two main big ones and the Powertrain and Emissions manual. I’m not certain about the wiring diagrams book. I have it but I rarely need that but the two big ones have a few. No, I’m not flipping through 6k pages to refind them to prove my point but I have come across them as many others have.

8,791 Posts
I break down my parts delivery boxes. I keep the stack under my bench. I put a sheet down when I’m going to do something sloppy like changing a trans filter.
When I do a water pump, I will put some down.
I remove the two fan should bolts. I will push the shroud forward and put a sheet in there to protect the fins. I then remove the fan clutch.
Problem is that I know that I will have to get rid of the sheets and replace with new ones so I hoard the things. Parts shed has a pile of sheets and am always having to fight keeping nice small ones. Oohhh, that little guy is NICE, you will need that!!! It’s a sickness.
BUT…. Yeah, they will save a radiator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts