The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Super Moderator
9,040 Posts
While Navistar builds one great engine they sure fowled up when they decided to use smaller thermostat bolts and a stamped housing. You have to hate the bean counters.

Years ago when I first flushed my coolant system I replaced the housing with a billet one that at least came with bolts that have a larger head. I also put on the Ebay thermostat housing fix to distribute the down pressure on the housing evenly.

But before I pulled the original housing off I took a long ratchet extension and rapped on top of each bolt head with a hammer. I then crossed my fingers as I broke each bolt loose.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
9,040 Posts
That's part of the enjoyment of these older trucks, you can still work on them.

I dropped my truck off at a friends shop the first of the month to get the glow plugs replaced. He laughed at me when I told him what I needed done and asked why I wasn't doing them myself. I just told him that I had reached a point in life that I can afford having someone else bust their knuckles. That along with the fact that he has changed out thousands of glow plugs on the OBS and 99+ years trucks and knows all the tricks. I did have the glow plugs from when AutoZone was selling them for a penny each so he only charge me $400 and it only took a day or less.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts