The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I use a thin film of RTV in the o-ring groove, get the o-ring stuck in the groove, turn it over on a flat surface and let the sealant cure a couple of hours.
I use a couple of long bolts, with the heads cut off, as temp alignment slide pins. Screw the pins into the motor side and set the WP on the two pins and slide it easily straight on, then bolt it up. I don't believe that additional RTV on the WP joint would hurt and could help. However, I would put it on the outside of the o-ring pattern to get an exterior squeeze out rather than an interior squeeze in.
Two ways one can break off bolts on the install, to over torque them and or wrong length bolt in the hole.
Lubrication of a threaded connection significantly alters the relationship of torque applied to torque achieved. In aluminum if I am working with a dry torque factor I don't use grease or oil. I dip the bolt threads in a bit of diesel and that seems to keep it from gaulding, easy to remove next time and no need to make a calculation adjustment between wet or dry torque.

· Premium Member
2,189 Posts
"Engineers" do make mistakes. Anyone expecting human infallibility will always be disappointed with both other humans and themselves. One could make a convincing case that that the ratio of Engineering positives so outweighs the negatives that the negatives are proton size negligible. Most of us use, fly, drive on, in, live, eat because of, heat and cool with the benifit of Engineered products all day every day in some form.
In the case of the erroneous water pump bolt torque data it is more likely that it was a simple typo or cut and paste error not picked up by edit before publish.

· Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Perhaps 49 inch pounds, technical proof readers and engineering staff. Errors missed by many people.
OK, we have inventoried total of one two digit error, in that same manual how many correct instructional directives and depictions are there?

· Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Buy the 3 Ford factory manuals. Buy the two main big ones and the Powertrain and Emissions manual. I’m not certain about the wiring diagrams book. I have it but I rarely need that but the two big ones have a few. No, I’m not flipping through 6k pages to refind them to prove my point but I have come across them as many others have.
There was a "point"?

• Haha
Reactions: Greg687

· Premium Member
2,189 Posts
When I did my last water pump I loc tited studs into the housing. Installed billet housing and secured with nuts
Was there a reason you did it that way?

· Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Mine has been apart so many times over the years that I pull bumper and rad. Swing a/c condensor out of the way and have a seat. Health issues make it hard to lean over rad
I have had a back surgery, L4-L5 fusion, that limits my bending. I have to be careful to work slow and smart. I had no trouble changing mine over the top.

· Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Its not really that big an issue to do it my way, air tools and bolts that have previously been removed helps. I have parkinsons and bi lateral spinal stenosis so anything that makes life easier i do. Time is my friend
One does what one must the way one can. I salute you Sir for your tenacity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts