The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Administrator
25,100 Posts
I use a dab of RTV mainly to keep the gasket in place. The gasket is an o-ring type and seals pretty well. Be sure to use some anti-seize on the water pump bolts. I don't think you'll have issues with seized bolts on the water pump, as most of them thread into the block.

· Administrator
25,100 Posts
No need to remove the radiator. Just the top hose has to come loose to allow the shroud (and fan) to come out. The fan clutch has to be removed in any case, and it's easiest to remove with the water pump still bolted in.
The last water pump I did was on the side of the road for a buddy who had an issue on the way to Valdez. He was an hour up the road and had me pick up parts for him on the way. We had to tow him about a mile to a wide spot and had him back on the road 3 hours after I arrived with the needed parts and tools. He had me pick up a radiator just in case, but we left his original in place.

· Administrator
25,100 Posts
How long has the fan been attached to the water pump? Will you have to fight the fan hub to get it off
It's a piece of cake with the proper tools. But pull the radiator if you feel the need.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts