The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Go ahead and remove the radiator. It's just the hold down clamps on top. Three hose connections and few shroud bolts. Loosen shroud and push back over fan blades. Then lift radiator straight up paying attention to the bottom outlet as it passes by the shroud. It's a great time to inspect belts, belt idlers, and hoses. And everything else. I keep a bottle of copper antiseaze and use it on exhaust bolts and any bolt that goes into aluminum especially. Bolts in aluminum just need a snug feel. Very easy to over tighten.

· Administrator
25,100 Posts
No need to remove the radiator. Just the top hose has to come loose to allow the shroud (and fan) to come out. The fan clutch has to be removed in any case, and it's easiest to remove with the water pump still bolted in.
The last water pump I did was on the side of the road for a buddy who had an issue on the way to Valdez. He was an hour up the road and had me pick up parts for him on the way. We had to tow him about a mile to a wide spot and had him back on the road 3 hours after I arrived with the needed parts and tools. He had me pick up a radiator just in case, but we left his original in place.

· Registered
125 Posts
Many years ago I learned that just because you can do something, should you?

Can you change the water pump with out removing the radiator, Yes. But should you?

How long has the fan been attached to the water pump? Will you have to fight the fan hub to get it off when you know the radiator is tempting and begging you smash a hole in it? Murphy's Law.

· Registered
821 Posts
I changed my WP easily without removing the radiator. I guess I never have removed a radiator just to change a WP. I'm lazy that way.

Reactions: Oneof6

· Administrator
25,100 Posts
How long has the fan been attached to the water pump? Will you have to fight the fan hub to get it off
It's a piece of cake with the proper tools. But pull the radiator if you feel the need.

· Registered
318 Posts
Was there a reason you did it that way?
I previously had a partially stripped hole. Figured with the new pump that I would just try it and see

· Registered
318 Posts
Mine has been apart so many times over the years that I pull bumper and rad. Swing a/c condensor out of the way and have a seat. Health issues make it hard to lean over rad

· Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Mine has been apart so many times over the years that I pull bumper and rad. Swing a/c condensor out of the way and have a seat. Health issues make it hard to lean over rad
I have had a back surgery, L4-L5 fusion, that limits my bending. I have to be careful to work slow and smart. I had no trouble changing mine over the top.

· Registered
318 Posts
I have had a back surgery, L4-L5 fusion, that limits my bending. I have to be careful to work slow and smart. I had no trouble changing mine over the top.
Its not really that big an issue to do it my way, air tools and bolts that have previously been removed helps. I have parkinsons and bi lateral spinal stenosis so anything that makes life easier i do. Time is my friend

Reactions: Big Horn

· Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Its not really that big an issue to do it my way, air tools and bolts that have previously been removed helps. I have parkinsons and bi lateral spinal stenosis so anything that makes life easier i do. Time is my friend
One does what one must the way one can. I salute you Sir for your tenacity.

· Premium Member
1,300 Posts
On other trucks I have removed the radiator as cooling maintenance and hoses were overdue. I have no doubt it’s easier in the long run.
Things have changed, are changing..... I’m recovering from two recent strokes. No such word as “can’t”, Ill find a way! Great post Whiskyb😀

· Super Moderator
9,119 Posts
That's part of the enjoyment of these older trucks, you can still work on them.

I dropped my truck off at a friends shop the first of the month to get the glow plugs replaced. He laughed at me when I told him what I needed done and asked why I wasn't doing them myself. I just told him that I had reached a point in life that I can afford having someone else bust their knuckles. That along with the fact that he has changed out thousands of glow plugs on the OBS and 99+ years trucks and knows all the tricks. I did have the glow plugs from when AutoZone was selling them for a penny each so he only charge me $400 and it only took a day or less.

8,791 Posts
I break down my parts delivery boxes. I keep the stack under my bench. I put a sheet down when I’m going to do something sloppy like changing a trans filter.
When I do a water pump, I will put some down.
I remove the two fan should bolts. I will push the shroud forward and put a sheet in there to protect the fins. I then remove the fan clutch.
Problem is that I know that I will have to get rid of the sheets and replace with new ones so I hoard the things. Parts shed has a pile of sheets and am always having to fight keeping nice small ones. Oohhh, that little guy is NICE, you will need that!!! It’s a sickness.
BUT…. Yeah, they will save a radiator.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts