The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gents, recently i noticed coolant leakage. seems to be coming from underneath water pump but hard to see. it also seems to be intermittent. happens sometimes but not always and seem to be coming more times than not. while watching belt system it looks like water pump pulleys are loose. i read a water pump going bad can leak from the weep hole. does this sound like the problem to you guys? also, i noticed today that the voltage meter was reading low (like just past the 8 on the gauge). it didnt look like the belt was slipping but is it possible these issues could be related? thanks

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
Yep, when the pump goes bad coolant will leak out the hole on the bottom of the pump housing. Plus generally you'll feel play from the bad bearing if you grab fan blades and wiggle them back and forth.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anything noteworthy on the replacement of water pump? Fan is reverse thread. Shorter bolts go up top. Anything else?

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
Basically it's like replacing one on any other engine. Remove the 4 or 6 bolts that hold the shroud on and move it towards the engine to get it out of the way. After cleaning off the old gasket, mechanics will go the easiest most efficient route by attaching the gasket to either the pump or engine surface with 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive (the yellow stuff), then coat the opposite mating surface with the Aviation Permatex gasket sealer (brown stuff). As a Permatex/Locktite rep said at one of our shop meetings, ATV sealer is to be used as a gasket replacer, not a gasket sealer. We've found gobs of it floating around cooling systems, stuck to oil pump pickup screens, etc. When you reinstall the fan hub (left hand thread) bolt it on fairly tight, if not as the engine shuts down it can come unscrewed and you end up with a fan through the radiator.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Take the new pump and trace it on a piece of cardboard, punch the holes out, when you unbolt the old, stick the bolts in the tracing, never a doubt as to where they go back in. Use a dab of Blue Loctite on the fan nut. These Diesels stop in four distinct places, due to the Hi compression they don't coast like a gasser, but the fan will coast, if the nut is not really tight it can unscrew.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
raining today. collecting the supplies needed. is this the right gasket sealer?

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80017-Aviation-Gasket-Sealant/dp/B000HBGGT6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477847724&sr=8-1&keywords=permatex%2Bgasket%2Bsealer%2Bbrown&th=1[/ame]

also, i picked up peak fleet charge for coolant. ok?

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
Yessir, that's the right sealer. If Fleetcharge has an SCA in it, it's what you want, I use Fleetguard myself. It's change interval is 150,000 miles in heavy duty diesels so it will just about last forever in a diesel pickup. It was discussed recently on another IDI site but they evidently think 150,000 translates to one million miles.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep, when the pump goes bad coolant will leak out the hole on the bottom of the pump housing. Plus generally you'll feel play from the bad bearing if you grab fan blades and wiggle them back and forth.

Is the lower pulley wet? That what I've noticed on mine and I plan to change the pump too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Is the lower pulley wet? That what I've noticed on mine and I plan to change the pump too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since the crankshaft pulley is directly below the water pump pulley, Yes it is pretty likely that it would be wet.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I just changed mine. The gasket that came with was cheap and is leaking. I just picked up a new gasket set and can tell the difference in quality so check yours so mabe you will not have to do yours twice like me. It is not bad only takes about an hour but it make a mess in my shop. I plan on putting a lift in next year.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Gasket paper form any parts store, and a ball peen hammer make good gaskets, and if made correctly don't leak.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey guys. i never followed up with this, but I did replace my water pump and so far (it has been a month or more) so good. I did everything LMJD said above. I was able to get the fan off with just channel locks, a ratchet strap and elbow grease. Also, i recommend putting some cardboard against the radiator to cover and protect it. thanks to everyone for their input and help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts