The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have coolant dripping (slowly) from the seam where the water intake tube (bottom radiator hose) meets up with the water pump.

No noise from water pump when engine is running.
Temp stays in normal range. But there is that annoying drip.

About two weeks ago the radiator overheated and blew coolant/steam. The top plastic header on the radiator cracked. I temporarily jbwelded it and just drove it home. Got parts and replaced:
Radiator, thermostat, thermostat gasket, lower radiator hose, and upper radiator hose.

There is nothing dripping from the waterpump weep hole. Researching the forums, there is a ponderous amount of issues with thermostat housing leakage but little mention of the water intake issues.

Is there an o-ring I should replace or is this a water pump replacement?

Owned the truck 1 year (1997 f350 powerstroke xlt) and don't know when the pump was last replaced.

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
I'd just replace the pump.

·
Registered
783 Posts
^^^^ second that

The cooling system on these engines is pretty-much rock solid. Even though you replaced a lot of parts, I'd still be concerned about why it got hot. Keep a close eye on it for a while.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've PB blasted the retaining bolts three times daily for two days now. They simply will not release.

I'll be purchasing a new water pump. Any recommendations?

As for why the cooling system spazzed, I've been under the truck trying to budge the bolt holding the water inlet. I noticed that there is an excessive build up of dirt and dark colored gunk on the left side but only typical light brown road dirt on the right side (passenger).

My current theory is the seal has been leaking for quite some time although very, very slowly. The drip falls and hits/splashes down the left side and causes the grim to stick when I drive. Based on that information, I believe a new pump as recommended here should put an end to my troubles.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Don't get rough with it. The pump is mounted to an expensive, cast aluminum front cover. Break that and you'll likely be pulling the engine.

Rap on the bolt heads with a ball peen hammer - as if you are trying to drive them in. Don't hit them too hard. You're trying to send shock waves thru it to help break up any corrosion.

Stay on it with the PB.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
SeaFoam has a penetrating spray that I have found works MUCH better than Pb Blaster.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I found out when changing my water pump that there are at least two different ones. There is a one piece and a 2 piece pump. make sure you get the one piece. I ended up at napa for mine. the 2 piece pump has the bottom elbow attach with two bolts and a crummy lookin o ring. I figure it is just another place to start leaking later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts