The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 05' Super Duty for a few years now. I really like the truck, but the brakes have always been sub par. They work, but they just don't compare to any of the newer trucks I've driven. I've flushed all the old fluid out with fresh DOT4 fluid, I've flushed the hydroboost system out with fresh synthetic ATF fluid, I've put new OEM rotors and Wagner HD pads on the front along with new front calipers, and new rubber lines. I haven't done much with the rears except new pads.

Even after all of this, the truck just doesn't stop as well as I'd like. Don't get me wrong, it will come to a pretty quick stop if I really stop on the pedal.......but you really have to stomp on it if you want to stop in a hurry....I can stop just as fast in other trucks I've driven with a pretty light foot.

Is this just how these trucks are? Are the brakes just not as good as the newer trucks? Is there any other ways to improve the brake feel on these trucks?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
I have been happy with the stock brakes in my truck even when towing. I once replaced the front with frozen/slotted rotors and high performance pads. It was a noticeable difference. I believe the newer trucks have bigger rotors which might be the difference you notice.
DENNY

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been happy with the stock brakes in my truck even when towing. I once replaced the front with frozen/slotted rotors and high performance pads. It was a noticeable difference. I believe the newer trucks have bigger rotors which might be the difference you notice.
DENNY

I put a set of those power stop slotted rotors on my last truck, and honestly....they didn't help at all. If you think about it, the slots are for "outgassing".....something you would see on a track or race car when you get the rotors glowing not. On a street car/truck...all the slots do is give you less contact area for the pads to grab. If slotted rotors were really a great idea, factory trucks would come with them....but they don't.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts