The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Administrator
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform! We’ve worked hard over the past few months with a leading design and product firm to deliver a cleaner, faster and more engaging experience for you. Our goal is to provide modern design and technology to make the site run faster, smoother and more reliably. All of the valuable content within the community is still here, even though the layout may look different.

A Consistent Experience Across All Devices
The site is optimized for all screen sizes, including mobile. All features are available and ready to use on all devices.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Your home page now features the most active forums, trending discussions, featured showcases, and top contributing members. This will help keep you up to date on what’s happening in your community and eventually become a very personalized experience for our members with all the great content you love surfaced effortlessly for you.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, that will help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Easy to Use and Navigate
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

You can also navigate by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Clicking on your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Bookmarks
Now you can bookmark your favorite discussions! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations – Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase – Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
These are just a few of the great new functions and features to try on the site. Take a tour and look around! If you have any questions, please check out the HELP section for some quick FAQs about the new platform, Help Section

Please let us know what you think about the new experience, your feedback is important to us.

Thank you all for your support during this amazing journey!

·
Administrator
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will be here during your transition to the new platform, to help with any questions, help with navigation or how to do things, and to listen to your feedback so please don't hesitate to holler at me. I want to help.

I do want to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Cricket. When I was born, my father told his friends I was the ugliest baby he had ever seen, and that I sounded just like a cricket (yes, the insect) so I have been Cricket for 58 years now. I live just outside of San Antonio, Texas and spend most of my off time out in nature. I spend my vacation, in the fall, hiking and camping.

I have worked with VerticalScope for 5 years now. I won't always know the answers to your questions, but I can find someone who does, as needed. ;)

- Cricket

·
Administrator
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please don't be afraid to explore and test out things to see how they work on the site.

Although you can certainly use the "insert image" icon to upload an image to your post, you can also just drag and drop it to the text editor or even copy/paste it into there!

(I took this photo camp here in Texas.)

You can easily share videos just by adding the URL directly into the text editor!

Gif links from sites like giphy.com will display automatically just by adding the gif URL directly in the text editor. Try it!
I am also a huge fan of the dark mode for the community. What is your favorite feature?

I will be here to answer questions and to help you navigate, as needed. :)

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
8,657 Posts
OK, what happened to the FAQ's? There was a wealth of information in them and if you try to follow a link to what was there it just brings you back to the main page.

·
Premium Member
8,657 Posts
Also can you collapse sections that you are not interested in.

I could care less for the classifieds where no one post or has anything for sale or the vendors area. I know what vendors to use and don't need a whole section to find them and if needed I can restore them if I want.

So far from what I have seen you lost more than you gained.

·
Registered
10,576 Posts
I'll totally agree with Bugman! I personally hate this. Sidebar ads are annoying as all get-out and makes the screen too narrow. If we lost the links to the old info we used to link to, this site is almost useless. I could care less about drag-and-drop, etc. I hope the other diesel sites I frequent don't go to this as well. Change is not always better. I've been here since 2000 (actually longer before joining).

·
Registered
10,576 Posts
I guess you can't edit posts as well? Anyway, what will happen to the links in older posts for all the information we used to reference (probably broken now and forever)? This is all important stuff the old TSBs, Tech Articles, PCM Codes, Workshop and Owners Manuals, etc?

·
Premium Member
8,657 Posts
Patrick, I found the edit option. It is up at the top left of the post.

I also went through a lot of the links that I have for the old site. Some work and some don't but most don't. If it links to a post it is there but if it has anything to do with the old FAQ's it doesn't.

·
Super Moderator
25,179 Posts
Bugman,

I commented to Administrator about keeping the old links prior to the changeover. Hopefully they will get that content back online soon. Also was concerned about the older photos (not gallery, but the ones that used to be accessed by the photos (##) link below the username. That was broken before the changeover, but fixed prior to changeover. Still haven't found how to get to those. I had a bunch of photos there. Hopefully they're not dead and buried (they said they weren't going to be). [on edit] Found the photos - hover over your username, opens a box, and you can click on "media". Format is different, but they seem to be all there. Don't know about the old "gallery" feature, but I didn't use that.

·
Premium Member
8,657 Posts
I found the photos and gallery which are in "your account"

My biggest problem is with the links to and in the old FAQ's.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,179 Posts
Sidebar ads are annoying as all get-out and makes the screen too narrow.
Personally, I find the sidebar ads fairly easy to ignore. The ones that are really annoying to me are the clickbait ads that appear in the list of posts within a thread. I don't need to apply for a credit card here (or anywhere for that matter). I really don't feel that those are appropriate here.

·
Premium Member
8,657 Posts
How about some way to tell if there are new post in a forum once you open up the forum.

You can tell if there are new ones in the forum by the brighter icon for the forum, but once you open it up there is nothing to tell you what post have not been viewed. You can look at the date stamp on the right but it still doesn't tell you if you viewed it or not.

Another thumbs down for the new format. This is what you get when you have computer people design a forum for truck people.

·
Administrator
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, what happened to the FAQ's? There was a wealth of information in them and if you try to follow a link to what was there it just brings you back to the main page.
Let me look into this. Do you have an example link I can check?

If it was WIKI information, it couldn't be moved over but the information is not lost. They are looking for solutions to restore it for us.

Also can you collapse sections that you are not interested in.

I could care less for the classifieds where no one post or has anything for sale or the vendors area. I know what vendors to use and don't need a whole section to find them and if needed I can restore them if I want.

So far from what I have seen you lost more than you gained.
You can't currently collapse forums but you can choose filters within new posts to only display new post from those sections you are interested in.

Let me know if you are interested in more information on how to do that.

I guess you can't edit posts as well? Anyway, what will happen to the links in older posts for all the information we used to reference (probably broken now and forever)? This is all important stuff the old TSBs, Tech Articles, PCM Codes, Workshop and Owners Manuals, etc?
You should be able to edit your post for up to 24 hours. Near the timestamp at the top of the post, you should see an edit link if it is within that time limit. After 24 hours you would need to reach out to a mod/admin for assistance.

Time limits are used in order to preserve useful thread content, while also protecting the forum against spam. We have formulated the current times in a way to best prevent thread confusion and time gaps left vulnerable to spam.

Personally, I find the sidebar ads fairly easy to ignore. The ones that are really annoying to me are the clickbait ads that appear in the list of posts within a thread. I don't need to apply for a credit card here (or anywhere for that matter). I really don't feel that those are appropriate here.
Thank you for your feedback on the advertising layout. We aim to integrate the ads in the most seamless way to ensure that it does not block content and can be easily scrolled past if the offer or product is not something of interest to you.

While the complete removal of ads is difficult, ads help support the cost of operating the community, we are always looking at ways to optimize the balance between advertising and content. We are working with our development teams to also introduce a new premium membership for purchase in the coming months that will allow members to view the site ad-free.

How about some way to tell if there are new post in a forum once you open up the forum.

You can tell if there are new ones in the forum by the brighter icon for the forum, but once you open it up there is nothing to tell you what post have not been viewed. You can look at the date stamp on the right but it still doesn't tell you if you viewed it or not.

Another thumbs down for the new format. This is what you get when you have computer people design a forum for truck people.
Within a forum section, that titles that are bold have unread posts. The titles that are not bold have already been read by you.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
8,657 Posts
Within a forum section, that titles that are bold have unread posts. The titles that are not bold have already been read by you.
View attachment 157022
- Cricket
[/QUOTE]

On my side there is very little difference on it being " bold" or not. Even in your example there is no way to tell from one that hasn't been read vs the one that has.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
You can't currently collapse forums...
Let me know if you are interested in more information on how to do that.
Yes, interested. If you added forums for Toyota Celicas, Snapper riding mowers, and Lulemon collectibles, they would be exactly as interesting to me as the forums about the 6.0L, the 6.4L, and the new diesels. Forcing me to scroll past all those forums to see the FEW that I will ever be interested in will only cause me to delete this forum from my favorites.
You should be able to edit your post for up to 24 hours.
No, I should be able to edit MY POSTS always & forever. According to the user agreement that has been effective since I started using this site, my posts are my responsibility and my property. If you intend to prevent me from editing them as I see fit at any time now or in the future, you need to make that clear BEFORE that change happens so I can decide if I want to allow you to continue displaying them, and if I want to continue using your site.
Time limits are used in order to preserve useful thread content...
If they're useful, then they're valuable. And if they have value to you, AND you're collecting income in order to display them, then a substantial portion of that income belongs to those who actually generate the useful content that you're profiting from.
We aim to integrate the ads in the most seamless way to ensure that it does not block content and can be easily scrolled past if the offer or product is not something of interest to you.
I can make that really easy: I'm not interested in buying ANYTHING from a BBS. When I want to buy something, I search the site that sells what I want. I've never been googling cute cat pictures, seen an ad for hip replacement insurance, and realized that I urgently need hip replacement. Likewise: I'll never buy anything advertised on in the margins of a discussion forum for antique pickups - not even antique pickup parts (not that you have any advertisers for the high-wear parts that fit the oldest trucks that are being discussed on this BBS). How much ad revenue do you project when activity on this BBS plummets because you've made it too difficult & unwelcoming for the users with the answers?
...premium membership for purchase...
So you want us to pay you NOT to distract & interfere with us posting the useful information that you want to protect by locking us out of our own posts?
The titles that are not bold have already been read by you.
What about the ones that I've actually posted in? I used to be able to see that from the thread icon. How about restoring that functionality? And all the other functions that made this forum attractive & useful to those with useful info to add to the discussions? Right now, I can't even MARK ALL AS READ on the main forum list. And when I do try to mark one forum read, I get a nag popup EVERY TIME asking me if I really want to do what I just tried to do.

Before you go screwing with a popular BBS again, try ASKING THE USERS what changes they want. At least the ones that are most-active. (And no: I'm not placing myself in that group.)

·
Registered
337 Posts
No, I should be able to edit MY POSTS always & forever.
Obviously you're entitled to your opinion and I haven't read the user agreement, despite (presumably anyway) my having accepted it. I think your position is at best unusual and likely completely unreasonable. I agree that users generate the content but we come here for whatever gain we expect to receive and in return we generate the content. Allowing us to edit it forever is a silly ask.

I belong to another forum which used to allow that level of editing. They changed their settings after one long-term, very prolific and very knowledgeable member threw a hissy fit. He created a script which chugged its way through and deleted every single one of his posts. That was a huge loss to all the other members and should never have been allowed to occur. I belong to forums which have a 5 minute edit window which is long enough to correct spelling mistakes and bad links. IMHO that's all we need and all we should expect.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'll totally agree with Bugman! I personally hate this. Sidebar ads are annoying as all get-out and makes the screen too narrow. If we lost the links to the old info we used to link to, this site is almost useless. I could care less about drag-and-drop, etc. I hope the other diesel sites I frequent don't go to this as well. Change is not always better. I've been here since 2000 (actually longer before joining).
I can't say I am very fond of the new look either. All most makes me not wanting to come here.

·
Premium Member
8,657 Posts
Another not so nice thing that I have found. The bolder notification letting you know that there are new post in the forum are not shutting off. So when I come back to that forum it show that there is new post even if there are no new post.

Ain't this fun. I thought that you folks had this thing figured out before you changed over.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Changes. Most adults hate changes and as an adult I too sometimes hate changes. I am a creature of habit. Having changed my community software twice now I understand the necessity to keep software modern and up to date. I don't know what the motivation was for moving from Vbulletin to XenForo but I assure you there were probably several good reasons. If we all give it time we will adapt and find our way around and discover the functionality the new software offers. As for old content and broken links, it can be restored and links repaired. I had the same issues with the DTS site. Go give the admins some time to deal with this as they too need to become more familiar with the software. DO continue to provide feedback - they need to know what you want - they need to know how to improve/fix things. Overall it looks like a successful conversion. Kudos to the admins!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts