The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Oh, and I do have one thing I would like to comment on - the post editing time - I agree that 5 or 10 minutes is WAYYYYYYYYYYY tooooooo short. There are some weekend mornings I make posts and then may come back to edit and add information as I look up specifications for example. Sometimes more things that I want to add come to me. Yes, I suppose one could just compose another post but I would rather be able to make corrections and additions to the original. May I guggest 12 or 24 hours before locking a post? JMHO

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Premium Member
9,711 Posts
From the amount of new post in the last day and a half it looks like the new style of forum went over real well : (

By the way, how about some emolies

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I do not like it....all I want to see are the topics on the 2011-2016......can not figure out how to show only them....and this forum is slowly dying...if it get more difficult to read threads on these trucks...might just cancel out and stay on on a few other boards...

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
We'll see if the links get fixed or not (not holding my breath). As for now, there are going to be a lot of links in posts we've made that are flat broken (which makes those posts generally useless going forward). I've been on this site since it was Jason's Powerstroke Page on Abingdon Online in 1999. Back when we "upgraded" to newer forum software around the early 2000's (???) we basically lost all the old posts and the ability to effectively search on them. Even the old Ford-Diesel.com info bugman and I are referring to was basically lost during a refresh, but at least someone figured out how to backdoor in to it since it wasn't directly shown with a link on the site. At least in the last refresh the sidebar ads were not in the actual threads (now they take up 1/3 of the width). A sample of links that used to have a ton of info, including other links:
This now comes up as the general FAQ for the new site where it used to be all the old site truck FAQs (general info, articles, TSBs, trouble spots, etc)

This was a link to the 1994 specific PCED.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
...completely unreasonable. I agree that users generate the content...
Well, according to the intellectual property laws in this country, and the (original) user agreement here: if you write it, you own it (for at least 50 years), and you have the right to deny anyone access to it (by deletion). Ask an IP lawyer. Making it public for any period of time does not reduce your rights to your work. If it did, once a movie was aired on broadcast TV, or a song was broadcast on radio, it would be free for anyone to copy, edit, and resell. But we all know that's not the case. The same is true of your content that you post to a BBS. Whether you realize it or not, that act doesn't mean you surrender your rights to that content to anyone for any period of time. The fact that other people find it useful is irrelevant to your right (or his) to delete it at any time.

·
Premium Member
9,711 Posts
How about adding all of the forums that are on The Diesel Stop to the filters when you click on the "New" icon to see new post? Then we can decide what forums we want to look at and if we want to look at all of them then we can just go to the main forum page.

I could care less about the 6.7, 6.4, and the 6.0 forums and am more interested in the 7.3's.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
You might consider restoring the original emoticons, emoji's, smilies or whatever you call them.

·
Super Moderator
26,656 Posts
You might consider restoring the original emoticons, emoji's, smilies or whatever you call them.
I agree. The new ones are pretty lame, and not very Dieselstop, or even forum specific.

Another item I just noticed is missing. When going back to a thread that was viewed previously, but had new posts in it, there used to be a button to go to the first unread post. That would be handy for avoiding wading thru posts that had already been read in a long thread to find the new ones. Please add that back in.
[on edit] I see that still works. I must not have been holding my mouth right before. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
Cricket,
I wouldn’t want your job of introducing change since not many of us like change...Lol

First day on the new site and I am using an iphone.
I see my signature at the bottom of each post I make and its inconvenient to scroll past. Is this only visible to me? Can I toggle my signature off while using the mobile site?

Thanks

Reactions: Administrator

·
Premium Member
9,711 Posts
ArcticDriver, are you using it with a browser or with Taptalk?

I us it with Taptalk on a phone and things are as they always were, a lot missing but usable. Now if I open up a browser on the phone then I can access and see just like I am on a computer.

Reactions: Administrator

·
Administrator
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Cricket,
I wouldn’t want your job of introducing change since not many of us like change...Lol

First day on the new site and I am using an iphone.
I see my signature at the bottom of each post I make and its inconvenient to scroll past. Is this only visible to me? Can I toggle my signature off while using the mobile site?

Thanks
Believe it or not, I am lucky enough to actually love my job. Since I am a creature of habit and not a fan of change, it helps me better understand what folks are dealing with.

I am going to add a signature tutorial below that covers everything including who sees what. :)

New Signature Tutorial

Your signature can include up to 4 lines, a maximum of 1000 characters and one link. An image counts as a line. Anytime you hit "enter" on your keyboard, it will automatically go to a new line. Images will automatically be resized to 300 x 200 pixels. You can see more options in your settings to collapse signatures, always view full signature, or to not see signatures at all. The choice is yours.

Both guests and members can view signatures.

If a user has their preferences set to the default they will see collapsed signatures as in the example below for them. (They can click to see more.)

If a user has their preferences set to always show expanded signatures it will look like the example below for them. Your image can be clicked to view full size.

If you want to adjust your preferences for signatures you can click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select account settings.

In the left side navigation, you will see an option for preferences. Click it.

Scroll down to content options and select your signature preferences.

If you have more questions, please let us know.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I agree. The new ones are pretty lame, and not very Dieselstop, or even forum specific.

Another item I just noticed is missing. When going back to a thread that was viewed previously, but had new posts in it, there used to be a button to go to the first unread post. That would be handy for avoiding wading thru posts that had already been read in a long thread to find the new ones. Please add that back in.
[on edit] I see that still works. I must not have been holding my mouth right before. ;)
Navigating Thread Listing

• Clicking the thread title will take you to where you left off, the 1st unread post.
  • Clicking the timestamp below the title will take you to the 1st post of the thread.
  • Clicking the timestamp above the last poster user takes you to the last (newest) post.
- Cricket

·
Administrator
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It does not look like the old smilies will be coming back at this time.

We currently use standard UTF-8 smilies. This helps greatly in keeping things fast loading and standardized across device types. We no longer run custom GIF files for every single smile which is terrible for web performance, and fast-loading websites.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
How about adding all of the forums that are on The Diesel Stop to the filters when you click on the "New" icon to see new post? Then we can decide what forums we want to look at and if we want to look at all of them then we can just go to the main forum page.

I could care less about the 6.7, 6.4, and the 6.0 forums and am more interested in the 7.3's.
How To Filter New Posts To Only Display Specific Section(s)

You can accomplish this by setting a custom default filter on the new posts page.

Step 1 Navigate to the specific forum you want to focus on and click "Follow Forum". (Repeat this for as many forums as you want to follow.)

Step 2 From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on NEW.

This will open a new page of new posts for you. On the new page, click on filters.

Now you can adjust the filters to work for your personal preferences, such as the example above and save it as the default. Make sure to click the "filter" button to save it, at the bottom.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
How To Edit A Post

You should be able to edit your post for up to 24 hours. Near the timestamp at the top of the post, you should see an edit link if it is within that time limit. After 24 hours you would need to reach out to a mod/admin for assistance.

Time limits are used in order to preserve useful thread content, while also protecting the forum against spam. We have formulated the current times in a way to best prevent thread confusion and time gaps left vulnerable to spam.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
How To Find Subscribed Threads

Click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select “following” from the drop-down menu.

This will bring you to a page where you can choose to view followed discussions, forums, your discussions, and participated discussions.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
9,711 Posts
How To Filter New Posts To Only Display Specific Section(s)

You can accomplish this by setting a custom default filter on the new posts page.

Step 1 Navigate to the specific forum you want to focus on and click "Follow Forum". (Repeat this for as many forums as you want to follow.)

Step 2 From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on NEW.

This will open a new page of new posts for you. On the new page, click on filters.

Now you can adjust the filters to work for your personal preferences, such as the example above and save it as the default. Make sure to click the "filter" button to save it, at the bottom.

- Cricket
This still brings up every unread discussion. As I mentioned I could care less about anything in the 6.4 or 6.7 forums, vendors, and the classified section.

This still leaves me weeding through everything that I don't care to read to find what I am interested in.

·
Administrator
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
This still brings up every unread discussion. As I mentioned I could care less about anything in the 6.4 or 6.7 forums, vendors, and the classified section.

This still leaves me weeding through everything that I don't care to read to find what I am interested in.
You can use the filter to see only those things that you want to see. ;)

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
9,711 Posts
Any progress on the real FAQ's and their links?

21 - 40 of 84 Posts