The Diesel Stop banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
How To Edit A Post

You should be able to edit your post for up to 24 hours. Near the timestamp at the top of the post, you should see an edit link if it is within that time limit. After 24 hours you would need to reach out to a mod/admin for assistance.

Time limits are used in order to preserve useful thread content, while also protecting the forum against spam. We have formulated the current times in a way to best prevent thread confusion and time gaps left vulnerable to spam.

- Cricket
I am getting used to the new format and I like that I can now give a thumbs up to posters while on a mobile device; however, I would prefer more than 24 hours for the edit feature. IIRC, we had weeks to edit posts on the previous format and we did not suffer spam issues.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,671 Posts
I actually think that 24 hours is enough time to edit a post.

If you are going to add more information or correct something after that just do another post

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Edit:
I guess I should ask what the expiration time is for deleting posts?
And where is the delete icon?
Thanks

·
Administrator
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Edit:
I guess I should ask what the expiration time is for deleting posts?
And where is the delete icon?
Thanks
Only moderators and admins are able to delete a post, as needed.

If a thread is deleted, it then deletes all the responses and thus other people’s posts too. Or, when deleting a post, people may respond. Then, if you delete one post, the following posts will not make sense - because one is missing it, it destroys the understanding and flow.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
8,671 Posts
You need a better alert for PM's or as you call them now "conversations"

That little red icon up in the corner of my avatar on the page just isn't making it.

·
Administrator
76 Posts
You need a better alert for PM's or as you call them now "conversations"

That little red icon up in the corner of my avatar on the page just isn't making it.
We are releasing push notifications in Q1 2020 to enhance this feature.

Jeff M

·
Registered
868 Posts
HELP! With the new format I can’t figure out how to select “email notification” or “instant email notification” when I post or respond to a post. I like to be notified when there is a response to something I am following. PLEASE tell me how to select this. I can’t imagine that this feature would have been eliminated.
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Administrator
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
HELP! With the new format I can’t figure out how to select “email notification” or “instant email notification” when I post or respond to a post. I like to be notified when there is a response to something I am following. PLEASE tell me how to select this. I can’t imagine that this feature would have been eliminated.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Click on your avatar, near the upper right-hand corner of the site. Select

When you are on the account settings page, click on"preferences" in the left-side navigation.

On the preferences page, scroll down to content options, add checkmarks to those referring to email notifications, and click Save at the bottom.

- Cricket

·
Registered
632 Posts
New layout looks nice and I look forward to familiarizing myself with it over the next while...
But, one thing that seems to have gone away is linking directly to a sub-forum. Before, my favorites would take my right to the sub-forum for 2017 and up PSD's. But it appears that is no longer an option?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
New layout looks nice and I look forward to familiarizing myself with it over the next while...
But, one thing that seems to have gone away is linking directly to a sub-forum. Before, my favorites would take my right to the sub-forum for 2017 and up PSD's. But it appears that is no longer an option?

Thanks!
Can you explain more so that I better understand? Are you referring to favorites in your browser?

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
8,671 Posts
How about a "report post" button?

It helps when a new member post his question in the wrong forum. Other than that you'll start getting cross postings.

The few moderators that we have can't see all of them.

·
Administrator
76 Posts
How about a "report post" button?

It helps when a new member post his question in the wrong forum. Other than that you'll start getting cross postings.

The few moderators that we have can't see all of them.
You have one in the dropdown above.

report_post.png

Jeff M

·
Premium Member
8,671 Posts
It would be nice if it was on the post like it used to be.

Down where it say Reply, Quote, or Like instead of having to go hunting for it.

·
Administrator
76 Posts
It would be nice if it was on the post like it used to be.

Down where it say Reply, Quote, or Like instead of having to go hunting for it.
This was part of the update noted here under Release Notes this week:

Restyling of Action Buttons
We’ve done some restyling of the action buttons on a post to make it less visually cluttered. We’ve also moved the Report function to the three dot overflow action button.

Jeff M

·
Registered
895 Posts
@Administrator @AG Jeff

Several times throughout this thread, @bugman has asked for the whereabouts of the original 97 FAQ, which has a library of useful information covering the 1994 through the 2007 model years that is well known in the broader community of Ford Super Duty diesel owners.

I would argue that the only reason why The Diesel Stop has remained viable as a forum over the years is in no small part due to that FAQ, which we, the members of this community who have been here for decades before you became administrators of this forum, built, post by post, with our contributions and links that were curated by volunteer moderators and friends of Jason Lester, the founder of Ford-Diesel dot com, which has become whatever this now is.

And while you, as administrators, have faithfully addressed every perfunctory concern and question raised regarding this forum's new format... you have deftly ignored @bugman 's repeated requests for the most useful compendium of data on TDS... the original FAQ (and, I would add, a link to all the non searchable Archives from the Ford-Diesel.com days, which were not lost, unlike the pre F-D BBS data).

The irony is that Cricket writes: "Time limits are used in order to preserve useful thread content".

Such a statement seems to stem beyond irony, into the realm of hypocrisy. But it doesn't appear malicious, or even intentional. It just demonstrates that neither Vertical Scope, Auto Guide, or you guys, as the administrative staff tasked with the management of this forum... really understand the underpinnings of what once made this forum great, nor what motivates many formerly active members to revisit this cemetery to gaze upon the grave markers of "preserved useful content" seeking remembrance.

You guys don't get it.

·
Administrator
76 Posts
@Administrator @AG Jeff

Several times throughout this thread, @bugman has asked for the whereabouts of the original 97 FAQ, which has a library of useful information covering the 1994 through the 2007 model years that is well known in the broader community of Ford Super Duty diesel owners.

I would argue that the only reason why The Diesel Stop has remained viable as a forum over the years is in no small part due to that FAQ, which we, the members of this community who have been here for decades before you became administrators of this forum, built, post by post, with our contributions and links that were curated by volunteer moderators and friends of Jason Lester, the founder of Ford-Diesel dot com, which has become whatever this now is.

And while you, as administrators, have faithfully addressed every perfunctory concern and question raised regarding this forum's new format... you have deftly ignored @bugman 's repeated requests for the most useful compendium of data on TDS... the original FAQ (and, I would add, a link to all the non searchable Archives from the Ford-Diesel.com days, which were not lost, unlike the pre F-D BBS data).

The irony is that Cricket writes: "Time limits are used in order to preserve useful thread content".

Such a statement seems to stem beyond irony, into the realm of hypocrisy. But it doesn't appear malicious, or even intentional. It just demonstrates that neither Vertical Scope, Auto Guide, or you guys, as the administrative staff tasked with the management of this forum... really understand the underpinnings of what once made this forum great, nor what motivates many formerly active members to revisit this cemetery to gaze upon the grave markers of "preserved useful content" seeking remembrance.

You guys don't get it.
@NYB

Understood and there is no update or ETA on the wiki page to be restored at this time.

The data is not lost however it will take some time to restore and once we have an ETA we will let you know as the developers are focused on some other major rollouts over Q1 2020.

I do have this reported and it is on the radar.

Jeff M

·
Registered
10,578 Posts
"The data is not lost however it will take some time to restore and once we have an ETA we will let you know as the developers are focused on some other major rollouts over Q1 2020."
??? Not holding my breath on this ... already can see where this is going. Cheers!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dear Community Members,

We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform! We’ve worked hard over the past few months with a leading design and product firm to deliver a cleaner, faster and more engaging experience for you. Our goal is to provide modern design and technology to make the site run faster, smoother and more reliably. All of the valuable content within the community is still here, even though the layout may look different.

A Consistent Experience Across All Devices
The site is optimized for all screen sizes, including mobile. All features are available and ready to use on all devices.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Your home page now features the most active forums, trending discussions, featured showcases, and top contributing members. This will help keep you up to date on what’s happening in your community and eventually become a very personalized experience for our members with all the great content you love surfaced effortlessly for you.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, that will help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Easy to Use and Navigate
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

You can also navigate by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Clicking on your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.