The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this in "GENERAL" and I want to bring it here too.

I will preface this bit by writing that I am in a bit of a funk today... A heifer upon which I did a c-section on Thursday died last night... AND I've been reading the forums on this site a bit much. One is partially my fault the other is completely.

See my sig. I am/was eagerly awaiting my truck from the plant. I have had a bit extra time to spend on this site lately and have done so to catch up on tidbits I might find useful soon. Well, what I have received is a healthy dose of NEGATIVITY from the site once again.

For those of you who feel I should just stay away, well you might as well not read the rest. It is a bit cathartic.

I propose that the moderators add a new forum to the site. Name it COMPLAINTS/PROBLEMS whatever. Make subheadings such as Drivetrain, Brakes, Engine, Turbo, Fuel System, Interior, Exterior, etc.. Then a final category Dealer/Service. Now you probably know where I am going with this...

With this new forum, people who have complaints of any mild nature (fingernail gets stuck on the shift knob, tennis shoes slip off the clutch... some people just naturally need to whine) and those with real nasty beefs (turbo bolts loosened AGAIN, dealer/serviceman looked at me like I was STUPID, my mpg's are not 25 like I wanted... again some people, takes all types) could go to cry in their beer.

I know I will not be Dr. Popular with these views. I just need to get it off my chest.... It has unfortunately gotten to the point that nearly every discussion thread heads into negative bashing of the truck, the dealers, the service, the FMC, and lately even each other. We too can implode as a group.

I am serious about the concept. Let's work on getting this forum to be what it can be...a great resource for information, exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences (good and yes bad), etc. There is a need for some to complain, and if I were FMC I would read that section thoroughly EVERY day, but there are many of us (sorry if the assumption is incorrect) that would prefer not to listen to the incessent bichen all the time. SQUEAKY Wheels always annoy, they never make sweet music.

Last thing I need to say. To those of you that need to WHINE all the time about your "PowerChoke" why don't you just sell it? It is positive action which moves you into the class of people that are assertive and no longer VICTIMS.

OOOH that was strong....

FIRE AWAY.

Dr. Lowell Wickman, New London, WI

------------------
ORDERED 1/7 Y2K F-350XLT Super Duty-PSD, SC, LB, 6-speed, 3.73 LSD, ABS, 4x4 Elec. Shift-on-Fly, Cab Lites, Trailer Tow, Camper Pkg., Idle Control Kit, 60D Pkg. SILVER w/ Denim Blue interior Built 2/14, ETA 3/6

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
I guess I don't know how you'd do this. For example, the turbo bolt problem is a complaint, but since I read it, I know to look out for it. Ditto on brake pulling/lack of steering under braking complaint. Found out there is a TSB for pulling, a problem with the shield, etc. The point is that these are complaints, but have useful info.

Your post seemed to want to relegate all this to a gripe section. The complaints people post are valid and the responses have useful info for all of us. I don't think that running them off to a different forum is productive.

I also do not think the folks who have complaints would get anywhere near the amount of help they have received if they were shunted off into a corner. Because of that, the moderators would be pretty busy, moving threads that people with gripes post in the happy-talk sections to get exposure and assistance. The moderators have a tough enough job as it is, just keeping ME in line!

I know that this next is going to sound pollyanna-ish, but I don't like the idea of sending someone over into the corner to rant. I can't think of anyone, not even the folks I cross swords with down in the Other section, that I would not want to listen to if they have a gripe. Part of being a member of this forum is listening to your compadres ***** when they want to rather than telling them to go someplace else and not bother you except if they have something fun to listen to.

I don't mean to be hard on you. But notice - I'm listening to your gripe.

Probably want to post this in the Ford-Diesel.com forum. Likely it will soon be moved there, anyway.

------------------
Kevin

[This message has been edited by kreynol2 (edited 02-19-2000).]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey animal doc! Your post comes across like a bottle of "Merlot 96" just a touch on the bitter side.
You complain about other peoples "WHINE" (view points and opinions), would you like some cheese and cracker for yours?
Jason and the other moderators do an AWESOME job managing this site!
I don't support the complaint forum, but do like the idea of the sub forums.

------------------
2000 - F350,CC,LB,PSD,4WD,Lariat,3.73LS,D/Alt,4W ABS,born and released 08-12,Skyjacker level kit,35x12.50x16.5 BFG's mounted on 16.5 x 9.75 Center Line Type 33.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup a bit bitter..

I admit I don't like to listen to people complain... My wife thinks I'm not real empathetic.

I don't mean to suggest that we stop all complaining altogether. I do think that having a forum headed Complaints/Common Problems would suffice as both an oulet for proper venting and for the purpose of categorizing all problems areas of the trucks, I would read these areas quite a bit, especially as I have problems with my "rig".

I may have been a bit sarcastic/cynical previously but I reassert that this is a serious suggestion.

Thanks.

Lowell

------------------
ORDERED 1/7 Y2K F-350XLT Super Duty-PSD, SC, LB, 6-speed, 3.73 LSD, ABS, 4x4 Elec. Shift-on-Fly, Cab Lites, Trailer Tow, Camper Pkg., Idle Control Kit, 60D Pkg. SILVER w/ Denim Blue interior Built 2/14, ETA 3/6

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I think of these forums as problem solving, not complaining. I don't have problems with people spouting off, but I would prefer they not beat it into the ground (no new information-no new post).

No solutions if we can't state problems.

I think the moderators are doing a great job of keeping it under control.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cowdoc

Have to admit I see your point. There are some legit gripes out there, but then there are the ones that stand out. I'm a loyal ford owner and although I will admit that no car is perfect, even Ford. But in the month or so I've been on this site there are select few that I think just need to sell there truck and move on.

I know this is going to get alot of heat but like I said, I can see cowdoc's point.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey cowdoc;

Sorry to hear you had a bad day. Sounds like you had alot of time and effort tied up in the heifer and she up and died anyway. Let me ask you a question, I'm sure I'll be told if I'm wrong, but; is it true you were just having a really bad day? You said you needed to vent. Was the vent the fact something you really love (your work) gave you a kick in the pants; and then you came here to get some good news about your "NEW" $30 some thousand truck and read about more stuff guys are finding wrong with them? Been there done that! Waiting for you truck to come in is one of the hardest things for us to do. We decide emotionally to invest alot of hard earned money into something and then have to wait. While we wait we read others guys posting about their trucks in a negative manner, 'cuz their pissed too. Then we start to wonder, did we really make a good decision? Ultimately, it starts to snow ball and some guy flapping about his loose turbo bolts can't measure up to the kind of day you had. If any of this comes across in a negative manner toward you, it's not. You did make some good points in your post. I agree with the others that relagating someone with a problem to the corner to rant is counterproductive to the forum. Perhaps an area that addresses some of the common problems - turbo bolts, brake pull, Torque Converters, all the biggies would be appropriate. Someone looking for specific information or the latest fix would have a place to look. As far as ranting or whining it is actually a good thing. For those of us having a bad day we really don't want to read the garbage, but; the guys that are carrying it have a real issue on their hands. Once everyone calms down and gets back on track the issue suddenly calms as well. So I guess I have to say, "Yeah, you bought a good truck! If you do have problems, guys who had them before you will be able to help you solve them. And if you find new ones (we hope you don't) there'll be folks here to listen to YOU rant whilst you find a fix." I'll get off my soap box now. By the way your wife is wrong about you being empathetic. If you didn't care you wouldn't vent. You just gave it to us instead of her!

------------------
2000 F350,PSD,6spd,XLT,CC,LWB,4X4, ACM, TTT mirrors, TT/CC Pkg, Dark Toreador Red

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Doc my daddy always said they sometimes just insist on dying no matter what you do or how much you spend.
I'm waiting for my 4th F-250 in the past ten years and wouldn't own anything else. (Tried that and been there)
This forum as is, is the best thing for people wanting to learn what they are buying and how to take care of it.
Try to understand we all have to vent once in awhile and let it go.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Cowdoc....

We all have "our" days and I guess yours was yesterday. But that's OK!! Remember you're among friends!!

Yeah..me too. I get tired of all the p*ss*n' and moanin' also. But I recall I was a newbie then at one time. I really appreciated the input the "old timers" gave me about my hysterical problem at that time....what I didn't know was that I was ONLY the 173rd time the old timer answered the same question
,perhaps even that day!!

The F-D Forum is just doing fine at it evolves naturally.Give it time.A SUPER staff oversees the operation and is h*ll bent to keep things on track.

Cowdoc...I see your point and feel for you.But hang in there and tomorrow is a better day,especially if you put aside today and concentrate on the 'morrow.

This is a typical BB. Bulletin Board or *****/*****. The perception is yours and yours alone.If it helps...go fishin for a few days and stay away for a while.(but you can't cuz yer hooked like the rest of us)

OK...let's turn this around and ask Jason & crew to open a new "category" labeled ""What a Great Ford Super Duty PSD I Have"" or ""I Love My Ford Dealer and All his Experience"" or ""MY Driveshaft is Bigger and Faster Than Yours""..........

what would really happen.....nuttin.ain't in the human nature to praise. or be positive.or encourage others. Even God Himself said so in His Bible,the original owners manual....

E-mail me if ya want....cost is nuttin

Hizzy

·
Registered
315 Posts
Filing all the complaints into neat catagories is great when you want to find all the responses on say "turbo bolts." But How many of us have the itme to look into 40-11 (southern for a zillion) different sections to see whats up with our SD in general or respond to questions?

So if you don't want to see whining and complaining and a little humerous bashing, what do you want to see
A bunch of guys (or girls) beating thier chest (sorry girls) over how darn good thier truck looks or runs. Or how they smoked a chevy last week. Complaints generate ideas which generate results. Just like your Cow... something positive can easily come out of something negative.

How about lets post, learn, and have a few laughts at the "human" in each of us.

------------------
2000 F350 Lariet, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Dually, V10, Auto, 4:30LS, LT235, Trailer, Off Road, Deep Wedgewood Blue/Harvest Gold Ordered 2/15

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree with the Doc how many complaints do you guy's really want to hear about turbo bolts falling out or the famous beat to death fuel cackle ,I like seeing things like hizzy's fix with cat replacement or artical on sealant for turbo bolts .these help everyone, complaining that ford is going to buy it back for fuel cackle is a waste of user space .i could go on but i think you guy's got the message. oh ya i have a seatbelt that won't reel up correctly so hopefully we can start a major discussion on it.hahaha

[This message has been edited by roller (edited 02-19-2000).]

·
Registered
377 Posts
So it appears many of us see both sides of the coin.I like reading the problems and the members replies,but it would be nice to read how a members truck really stepped up to the plate when the cards were down.Maybe a few positive stories could help?After all why did we buy them?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Doc, sorry to hear you've been having a bad day. Just wait until you get the truck- then you'll really be able to complain like the rest....

We just have to remember that unhappy people generally have a lot to say about those experiences; happy customers just get on with enjoying the product and keep quiet.

That's why I've had so little to say lately

There will be better days- Mike

------------------
Black '00 3500 SLT QC,4x4,24v,auto,3.42LS

·
Registered
161 Posts
COWDOC:

Do you fill better after ventilating?
Is this forum not organized enough to fulfill your interest?
INTRODUCING THE NEW FDC Category:
ORGANIZED BIT*HING:
YES you can file your complaints under topics
from A to Z. Just type the words until your hearts content. Remember the moderators can delete it, but dang if you don't feel better.
You will look back at your post in the near future and say, wow, was I wearing my emotions on my sleeve or what. Another day is coming that will be filled with joy and happiness. Until then, just go to the organized page and start typing.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hey Cowdoc, I know what you mean.

I suspect winter has alot to do with it. Once spring arrives and our SuperDuties are all clean and shiny again, and are out-performing everything else out on the road, the complaint index will go down!

As to your forum suggestion, Smokeywren would double his postings moving everything around.

------------------
2000 F250SD PSD XLT RC 6SP 4X2 3.73LS MTT mirrors & TT Pkg AIC Woodland Green PS/CD 40/20/40 Cloth Seat Delivered 2/Feb/00 and happy with it!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sounds like you did have a bad day. Not unlike the rest of us from time to time. Although my job doesn't effect living breathing things, I too fail occasionally. I know what it is like to try to get a piece of machinery running even though I may not have what I need to do it right, and then watch as it fails with the best rigging I could come up with. And then you are in waiting. I posted a question once about why guys are ordering thier trucks. I got some good responces too. Things I hadn't thought much about. But I don't think I could stand it much. Anyway, you will certainly enjoy your truck when it gets in and you should learn to ignore (skip over)the petty post that you complain about.
BTW, sorry to hear about the death of the heifer. What about the calf?

------------------
2000 F-250 SD PSD 4X4, 4R100, Built 7/99 Super Duty Pics

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think I can relate to what Doc is saying, and believe it is this.
With few exceptions, what I am hearing is whining.
Yes, Turbo bolts are a concern. The solution has come from the posts and is simple, check them from time to time.
TC's are a problem, again a simple solution, listen and if they're bad, (mine was) Ford will replace them.
Fuel knock, hey, I bet mine is as loud as any of them and it highly irritates me. Unfortunately, I am one of those who always listens for engine noises, bad for a diesel owner. Any diesel mechanic just laughs at my concern, that tells me something, maybe I should not be a diesel owner.
I have noticed one thing lately, no new problems have appeared, only a rehash of old ones from new owners.
Hey, give Doc a break, he just might be trying to tell us something.
Remember, even God goofed up when he made Adam.
You certainly cannot expect a bunch of engineers, button counters and assemblers to make anything that hasn't faults.
My wife can though.

------------------
99.5 F250 PS, 4x4, CC, SB, 373, A/T
Fuel Knock and Goofy Brake fade

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
If there was a complaint section for each category, what would be the purpose of these existing forums? Do you want to post everyday, "Boy this Power Stroke is great!"? These forums were started so people could get help with problems and they will stay that way.

Jason

------------------
Ford-Diesel.Com Webmaster
1997 F-250 PSD 5-speed Banks Stinger-Plus

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Also, this is off-topic here .. moving to Ford-Diesel.Com forum.

Jason

------------------
Ford-Diesel.Com Webmaster
1997 F-250 PSD 5-speed Banks Stinger-Plus

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jason,

Hey...I didn't mean to rumple your feathers. Sorry if I did. There is no doubt that this is one of the best discussion forums on the internet. I have recommended it to my fellow bovine practitioners as a n example of how our site there should look. I think you moderators do an excellent job!

My beef was with the content and tone of so many of the recent threads. Maybe I was having a bad day, and maybe I was a bit harsh, but I am glad you let me say my piece. My original idea was to suggest a forum area for the most common complaints/bugs in the trucks we have/will have. I thought that with a nice organized area, potential buyers might go and look for possible reasons to buy/not but the truck of their dreams. I thought to that it might be a place where we might go to see similiar problems to our own. ( I know that the search function also does this, I merely offered the suggestion so that we don't get so repetetive with the questions, and so that the same gripes wouldn't continue to recirculate to the point that they have of late.)

Again, I am sorry if I offended you. Keep up the good work. And, sorry I missed the correct forum with my original post. See how well I "surf" the site? Didn't even know this forum existed.

Good day.

cowdoc

------------------

1 - 20 of 20 Posts