The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok the trucks in my signature. I seem to go through alot of needle bearings in the front hubs. I have replaced both hubs and have been replacing the needle bearings with the NAPA kind. Seems like everytime i pull a hub off there is alot of metal dust in there. The stub shafts are new on both sides as well as the u-joints. Im starting to think i have a bent axle shaft or something. Maybe the inner axle bearings?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Do the needle bearings come out with plenty of grease on them?

The shavings could be from a bad wheel bearing.

Or the axle shaft is grooved which is ruining needle bearings.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do the needle bearings come out with plenty of grease on them?

The shavings could be from a bad wheel bearing.

Or the axle shaft is grooved which is ruining needle bearings.
Last time I took the hub off i filled the area between the vacuum seal and hub assembly with tons of grease (don't worry i have manual hubs) And packed the needle bearing. Both stub shafts are brand new as well as the hubs them self. It seems to really wear out fast in 4wd. I'd say 1-3 months i hear that dreaded noise and have to tear into it again.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anybody?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Are the thrust washers in good shape? Maybe replace the thrust washers (there is a ford kit that comes with all 3) and snap ring. Maybe the stub shaft has too much movement.

Only other idea is try a different brand needle bearing.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are the thrust washers in good shape? Maybe replace the thrust washers (there is a ford kit that comes with all 3) and snap ring. Maybe the stub shaft has too much movement.

Only other idea is try a different brand needle bearing.
I know for sure atleast 1 side has brand new thrust washers and that big plastic one. Ill give it a shot next time i pull them off. I need to get the truck ready for the lake so im going to go through the front end again. Dont need another trip like last year...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts