The Diesel Stop banner

41 - 60 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Door ajar light on, No auto headlights, Radio stays on.

On my 2002 F-350 I had a variety of symptoms. Door ajar light staying on, Radio staying on, loss of auto headlamp feature, dome light would only turn on manually.. I hoped and prayed it was just a stuck door stitch of course it was not.:blowingup:
It is the VSM module, Vehicle Security Module which is located behind the cupholder'radio area. its about a buck fifty, thats the good news. The stealership will charge a hour labor to tell you what I just told you and another hour to reprogram it.. At least they fixed problem this time!! I have seen other posts with exact same symptoms and after these guys chased door switches still had problem as I did.
What I share here is only my experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
double ya dee forty... Is that a 80 year old?? Named Dee??

I am glad for all those who are fixing this problem with a good spraying of WD-40/Other chemicals.. Ya might remind your Ford friends to spray mechanisms/latches/switches every oil change. Well at least thats what I am gonna do now. In my case it was the V.S.M., so if the switches don't fix symptoms you might think V.S.M. I know this thread is going on ad nasuem but, obviously lots are having this problem... Good luck. Peep my post on this 2000 I just bought regarding the keyless entry question and lemme know what ya think.. Thanks

:ford:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went to dealer service for the above stated problems and was told I needed to replace the GEM module, lighting module, and possibly the keyless module for a grand total of $1900.00. There was also a code B1352. I walked out and drove away. If this is so prevalent, then can the VSM be replaced by someone other than dealer? I would like to fix this before I sell this truck (02 PSD F350 SRW) and save the cash on the dealer's misrepresentation of the problem.

52 Posts
wd40 works everytime. very common problem on many fords.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Can someone post a pic exactly where the switch is? (and where to spray the lube?) - I looked given the description on my 99 CC but can't see any switch that might be sticking.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I fixed mine

Thanks for the WD-40 idea.

I used it on my Edge this weekend and fix the stupid dinger and door ajar light.

Beats the heck out of slamming the door to try and fix it.

Spray the door latch on the inside of the door. Just hose it down.

Please be aware that WD-40 is a solvent not a lub, so it my flush out the necessary lub.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought a '99.5 F350 CC SRW Lariat 6speed w/ 119k, and it has this problem. I WD-40'd it earlier today up at the shop, problem went away for a few hours, now it's back again....:brickwall:

VSM? Vehicle security module? I would think if this is the problem, it wouldn't have gone away for a few hours when I sprayed down the switches...?

Anymore insight?

·
Registered
49 Posts
have not been on this site in awhile. Thanks for the info. I just started having the same problem

·
Registered
49 Posts
how do you determine which door latch.
my excursion has 8 latches total. I have sprayed, sprayed, prayed, and strayed some more.
The dealership is the last place I want to take my X.
any sugestions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
not very happy.
I tried all the WD-40 and contact cleaner tricks and no luck so I sucked it up and took it to my dealer today.
They said I need a new VSM!!!! $400.00 freaking $$$$$$$

I could live with out but. I pull a trailer and leave the truck running when loading so We have cargo lights and without the doors being about to lock by the key pad I and crap out of luck.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo anyone know how to TOTALLY DISABLE the door ajar?????????????????????????????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo anyone know how to TOTALLY DISABLE the door ajar?????????????????????????????
Just remove the relay in the fuse box... When I bought my 99 crew I noticed the dome light did not work so I replaced the bulbs, still nothing, checked fuse, nothing found relay missing, replaced relay, the light stayed on and did not turn off, tried wd40 no luck. The passenger door does not fully latch so I think that is the problem. So for now the relay is still out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can someone post a pic exactly where the switch is? (and where to spray the lube?) - I looked given the description on my 99 CC but can't see any switch that might be sticking.
here is a view of your truck. Without a scanner one can tell which door it is. even with that the 2 rear doors are on the same circuit.
in pic 2 these are the switches in each door latch. note: door panel must be removed..

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Opposite of the Norm

I have a similiar, but opposite problem. I first noticed that my dome light was not coming on when I opened the door. Then I noticed that I was able to still operate the power windows once the keys were removed and the driver's door was opened. So I figure that the truck does not know that the door has been opened. It is a 2001 F250. Could this problem be with the same switch at the latch?

BTW, it started after I installed aftermarket door lock actuators. I clipped the wires going to the original actuator. Is this the same wire for the switch, or is it separate?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a similiar, but opposite problem. I first noticed that my dome light was not coming on when I opened the door. Then I noticed that I was able to still operate the power windows once the keys were removed and the driver's door was opened. So I figure that the truck does not know that the door has been opened. It is a 2001 F250. Could this problem be with the same switch at the latch?

BTW, it started after I installed aftermarket door lock actuators. I clipped the wires going to the original actuator. Is this the same wire for the switch, or is it separate?
Sound like the door switch is not working did you leave it unplugged? No the wiring is different for the actuators.

·
Registered
43 Posts
thats awesome i wasnt even looking for this answer and i found it... I love you guys

41 - 60 of 166 Posts