The Diesel Stop banner

141 - 160 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 03 f250 7.3 extended cab and I'm having some of these issues. I get NO door ajar light, no dome light but my locks and windows work. I've checked all fuses and relays and all seem good. I replaced my VSM which fixed nothing and the dealer told me it did not have to be programmed. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
2002 Excursion with door ajar light always on -FIX

Just purchased this vehicle last week. 140,000 miles. Door Ajar light was on. Headed to the internet and found this forum! Wanted to say thanks for all the info and walk the next guy through what I did for repair.

Excursion has 2 sensors in the back glass. Both of mine were bad due to the dust/grime on the rear of the vehicle.

1. When the truck is off and the doors are all shut the dome light stays on about 20 minutes, when this finally goes off open one door. If the light comes on -then this is NOT your door. One door at a time take about 90 minutes, giving the 'reset' time for the dome light override. When you finally figure out which door does not turn on the dome light, that's your culprit. As I said mine was the back glass.

2. Using the "Odometer Trick", confirm this. Just search for this in the forum. Again confirm that the door that you are opening does not change the code on the odometer.

3. The back glass has a latch on the left and right with a 'door ajar switch' on each of these. The trim comes off easily after removing the 2 screws in the handle. Taking the latch out is quite easy. Just the 3 #T-27 screws on each. This gives you the best access to removing the switch, which is done by a 1/4 turn. (apparently these are right and left sensitive - don't confuse them).

4. Replace or clean the switches. They are also $35.00 bucks or so at Advance Auto, so lets try to clean them. I was able to get mine working freely with PB blaster and using pliers to pull the button up and twisting it some then just working it a good bit.

5. Reinstall these back in the wiring. This should turn off the light. When the button is 'up' - the door is closed.

5. Reverse the removal process and enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Dude i have been suffering with this for ever. My only saving grace with the lights staying on forever is was i installed an overide switch years before. Did that so when we are camping and i leave the door open the lights are on all the time. Cant wait to figure this all out.

AJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Im new here. Just nabbed a low mileage 2000 F250 BadBoy but I got this same prob. Used the ole WD last night and it worked once for an hour, and then the lights are on again. 2 hours later, half a can of WD down and a whole lot of door swingin and door thumpin, prolly lookin like some crazy OCD neighbors and the dang lights are still on. I just pulled the bulbs for now...SIDENOTE::: I bought this truck 2 days ago and it had been throughly mudded prior to that so theres some grit to get rid of

·
Registered
9 Posts
War Machine,
This should fix your issue, just follow the steps above. Let the group know if it don't fix it. The grime/grit is the issue. The previous owner of mine apparently lived on a clay road. Has caused all my havoc.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 2003 F250 CC has had this problem for a couple of years.
First, I tried the WD40 trick a few years ago. Worked for awhile then the truck thought the doors were open again. Replaced the switches in both front doors (rears were fine) and came up with a new problem. The passenger door switch works opposite. When the door is open the door ajar light and the interior lights go off. Shut the door and the interior lights and door ajar light comes back on. I have tried several switches but all do the same thing.
Is there something else I need to look at replacing?

So, 5 years later and some time off from work, I decided to mess with this again and.....

ITS FIXED! It appears that the last time I fooled with this, I had a string of bad luck. Back in 2010 when messing with switch, I had tried 3 different new ones from different manufacturers and knowing what I know now, all of them had been manufactured incorrectly. The switch I pulled out of my RH front door was manufactured 'normally open' It is supposed to be 'normally closed' Picked up a new one from Oreilly's last night, checked it with my multimeter before purchase, and it worked correctly (opposite of the one I pulled out of my truck)

Now my interior bulbs can go back in. LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok so not trying to beat a dead horse here, but nothing is working on my 2002 crew cab.

WD-40 didn't work no matter how many applications and door slamming.

Hooked to both auto enginuity and ford tech diagnostic scan tools and they both say both front doors are always open.

I pulled the drivers side switch and it works properly, unplugged the harness which should create an open circuit... Aka door closed situation (I think) and door ajar light and dinger still on. Then I used a jumper wire on the harness just to double check.. Same thing

Purchased a new updated VSM and took to Ford to get programmed but they couldn't get it to communicate with the computer. He told me my viper car alarm might be interfering, and since I hate that thing anyways I took it all out last night.

I'm lost on what I can do to fix this thing, all I want is this door ajar light off and interior lights! :headbang:

I'm taking it to a different ford dealership tomorrow to try to get the VSM programmed but at this point I'm not real hopeful. What else can I try on this thing?

·
Registered
21 Posts
So another failed attempt at the dealership to get the VSM programmed, I'm tired of throwing time and money at this POS. pulled the cluster out and put some electrical tape on the back of the faceplate over the door ajar light and about to remove the door dinger. To hell with interior lights I'll just use a flashlight until I sell this thing.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Try pulling the fuse 19 and 102, whait a couple hours and put them back.

Worked for me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
21 Posts
Try pulling the fuse 19 and 102, whait a couple hours and put them back.

Worked for me.

Doubtful this will do anything since both my batteries were disconnected and removed for about 3 days a couple days ago while I was doing turbo work and replacing the up pipes. But I'll give it a shot for the hell of it.

From the looks of it, it may be the instrument cluster itself that's bad. Too bad there's not a how-to for that.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
My vsm problem started 1yrs and 1/2 ago. I had the battery disconnected multiple time for engine work and one time over 3 weeks. Back in October i removed the fuse 19 because the door keep locking and unlocking by themselves when driving or parked. 3 days ago i saw a post saying to remove the fuse 102 and 19 and it might fix it. So I removed the 102 fuse for couple hours and put both back in and everything work now.

Is ford wasn't able to connect to your new vsm or if they dis programme it and nothing change?

For what i know,

Door adjar switch (witch you did),
Vsm,
Cluster.

This is the sequence i know

Hope the fuse will help you, if not i think your next step is the cluster

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, I was just wondering if that "door ajar" problem could be the source of my radio staying on and the battery drain???
I just got this truck and I don't know much about it.
In my buddy's gmc the power stays on after he shuts off the key, like if it was on "acc" until the door is opened then all shuts off.
Are these fords the same?
My interior light doesn't come on but the bulb might just be burnt, I'll have to check.
Just thinking about it... I don't remember ever seeing the "door ajar" light in the dash either?

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Hi, I was just wondering if that "door ajar" problem could be the source of my radio staying on and the battery drain???
I just got this truck and I don't know much about it.
In my buddy's gmc the power stays on after he shuts off the key, like if it was on "acc" until the door is opened then all shuts off.
Are these fords the same?
My interior light doesn't come on but the bulb might just be burnt, I'll have to check.
Just thinking about it... I don't remember ever seeing the "door ajar" light in the dash either?

Yes if there is a problem with the vsm everything will stay on when you open the door but it should still shutoff after 10 or 15 min. Unless you have a problem with your delay relay.

Normally the radio will shut off when opening the door and all light will shut with the delay circuit (if i remember right) but if you have a problem with your vsm, the light won't work like they should on auto, inside and third light will take a long time to shut and will always stay on when vehicle is running, radio won't shut when opening the door.

Like i suggest in my other post, try removing the fuse 19 and 102 first for couple hours and go from there

·
Registered
21 Posts
My vsm problem started 1yrs and 1/2 ago. I had the battery disconnected multiple time for engine work and one time over 3 weeks. Back in October i removed the fuse 19 because the door keep locking and unlocking by themselves when driving or parked. 3 days ago i saw a post saying to remove the fuse 102 and 19 and it might fix it. So I removed the 102 fuse for couple hours and put both back in and everything work now.

Is ford wasn't able to connect to your new vsm or if they dis programme it and nothing change?

For what i know,

Door adjar switch (witch you did),
Vsm,
Cluster.

This is the sequence i know

Hope the fuse will help you, if not i think your next step is the cluster

Removed those two fuses all night last night, nothing changed. So looks like the cluster, but I'm not paying for that, I'll sell it before I pay $500 for interior lights.

Over the 4 hours Ford spent trying to program the VSM, it works the exact same as the old one and the new one straight out of the box, no change at all.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Removed those two fuses all night last night, nothing changed. So looks like the cluster, but I'm not paying for that, I'll sell it before I pay $500 for interior lights.

Over the 4 hours Ford spent trying to program the VSM, it works the exact same as the old one and the new one straight out of the box, no change at all.

Yap for what i know your next step is the cluster, i feel your pain

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks for the WD40 tip. The door ajar light of my '99 F250 would come on after a wet day, and go off once I was above 15 mph. Then back on again as I slowed below 15 mph. It would stay on for 15-30 minutes after shutdown. I sprayed WD40 in all four doors just after New Year's; the light hasn't come on in error since. I love it!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
The two front doors the door ajar switches are in the latches...right? Does the 2 back doors on the extended cab have switches also? If so where are they?

Thanks,

Griz

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I fixed my problem of the dome light staying on even if I locked the truck using the remote keypad. It turned out to be the intensity control knob for the dash lights. Why this would affect the dome light is beyond me. I don't have a schematic so I can't even guess why this might happen. I did not have an issue with the doors ajar indicator like some of you do...so I don't know if this would fix any of those issues.

Griz

·
Registered
628 Posts
I fixed my problem of the dome light staying on even if I locked the truck using the remote keypad. It turned out to be the intensity control knob for the dash lights. Why this would affect the dome light is beyond me. I don't have a schematic so I can't even guess why this might happen. I did not have an issue with the doors ajar indicator like some of you do...so I don't know if this would fix any of those issues.

Griz
All the way up there should be a 'click' which is the switch for the dome light. Just shy of the 'click' is dash light full.

141 - 160 of 166 Posts