The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck fires straight up any morning without waiting for glow plugs ( Doesn't get very cold here in western Australia ) However... If i start up when cold and run for less than a minute or so (As in i am just moving the truck) and try to start up again after half an hour or even next day, it wont start without using the glow plugs
Next problem. When i turn ignition on the glow plug relay will not turn on unless i wait for about a minute or so with ignition left on.. Watching my volt gauge verifies that GPR is not engaging until i have waited for this time to laps.
Using a meter shows when ignition is first turned on there is 2 volts to both small terminal and then after waiting for the whole minute or more voltage will show as it should and glow plug relay will kick in and after a few seconds truck will fire up just fine...
Any ideas would be much appreciated
If i cant sort it out, how do i go about changing GPR to a manually operated system
Thanks... Greg

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
You have a gpcm or just the regular relay?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a normal type relay I have a new one here and it's not a Relay problem.. For some strange reason there is a very long wait before a signal gets sent to the relay.. Also seems strange for there to be 2 volts at the relay even with ignition off. Or is that normal.. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Hey Greg,, you should have 12.7 vdc one of the posts constant, when you turn the key the voltage drop should only go down about .5 of a volt and activate the relay.
Does the glow plug light come on when you turn the key?
You say you only have 2 vdc at the relay with the key off what does the other post read when you cycle the key?

Did this problem start when you fitted the chip?
Read this thread from Kl.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f47/hard-no-start-check-here-first-75094/

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Oil temp switch?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did wonder about the oil temp sensor.. But the temp shows up as it should on my scanguage 2
Anyway.. Problem has been there for several years. I would just try to avoid starting the truck at all unless i was going to drive it somewhere. That way the problem would never showed up.. At first i didn't know the GPR was not kicking in and i would just have to crank and crank with heaps of white smoke until it would suddenly fire up and run perfectly. I guess that was when the Relay finally kicked in. Found out by accident that the relay would kick in eventually. When i fitted my pyrometer that also has a digital volt gauge. While checking some wiring with ignition on, the volts suddenly dropped and that's when the GPR kicked in. Anyway.. I'll fit the new GPR I have and see if that helps at all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts