The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
didn't know about another relay, that would be interesting news. Very welcome, interesting news. Doesn't solve my 4WD selector issue though. I'd love to hear more about this extra relay. Is it in the column?

[/ QUOTE ]The relay I was refering to is in the distribution box under the hood. there are two # 1& #2 Relay .# 3 & 3 4 are not used you may be able to switch them around & see if it helps, they are fairly small.The column problem is the actual switch , I think it is on top of the column, connected to the key with a small 1/8 rod. This is what does the actual starting & sending power to the PCM to tell it to start working..It is also the part that shuts off the power to the PCM...You may have to drop the column to see the switch..Someone else may have already had this problem. they may chime in...

·
Registered
241 Posts
I ran the codes this morning at Advance Auto.

P1280 ICP out of range low

P0603 PCM keep alive memory (is this because I had the batteries disconnected recently?)

P0470 Exhaust Pressure Sensor

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I ran the codes this morning at Advance Auto.

P1280 ICP out of range low

P0603 PCM keep alive memory (is this because I had the batteries disconnected recently?)

P0470 Exhaust Pressure Sensor

[/ QUOTE ]DTC P1280 indicates injector control signal circuit out of range low was detected during KOEO Self Test or during continuous diagnostic monitoring.
Possible causes:
biased ICP sensor/PCM
open ICP sensor circuit
short to SIG RTN or PWR GND on ICP sensor circuit
open in VREF circuit....

Sounds like a bad ICP sensor to me...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Do I need to "reset" the codes to see if it's still faulty or just giving me that error because I unplugged it once as part of the diagnosing I was doing?

I'll pull #9 tonight (is there another way to reset codes?) and see if I still get a cell.

It's shutting off like a champ now, too. (using the key instead of the key AND my 4WD selector)

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
or just giving me that error because I unplugged it once as part of the diagnosing I was doing?

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah , that makes sense. The place that pulled the code can clear it also..Pulling # 9 resets the pcm . It may clear the light, but not the memory. I'm not sure about that , cause I have a scanner & I never tried it...

·
Registered
2 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
hpop oil level is fine and shouldn't affect the tach signal.

[/ QUOTE ] Did you look..? I know it won't effect the tach, the reason I asked , is ,If you have been cranking it for a long time , the resevoir may be low...
I had a pcm go bad one time and my 7.3 would not start even with starting fluid. Try using some starting fluid to see if it will try to crank

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
I had a pcm go bad one time and my 7.3 would not start even with starting fluid. Try using some starting fluid to see if it will try to crank
This is a 14 year old thread.

But never use starting fluid on these newer engines even with the glow plugs disabled. If you do you may be in for more expensive repairs that you started with.

Reactions: 1997VAstroker

·
Registered
97 F-250 HD
93 Posts
Do I need to "reset" the codes to see if it's still faulty or just giving me that error because I unplugged it once as part of the diagnosing I was doing?

I'll pull #9 tonight (is there another way to reset codes?) and see if I still get a cell.

It's shutting off like a champ now, too. (using the key instead of the key AND my 4WD selector)
This is a 14 year old thread.
The burning question still remains.. whatever happened to Groves's truck??? Was it the PCM??? Did Groves give up???

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yeah, it should be a LAW that you MUST come back to the forum to report your results, even if you have to report: "I sold the truck for scrap because I couldn't fix it."

21 - 29 of 29 Posts