The Diesel Stop banner

What brand tires are best on F450

21K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Suman 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys... Hope all is well ... You all were a HUGE help to us in 2008 when we bought our F450 to haul our RV. It is working out great and we are very happy with the decision. Now we need to replace the front tires (first time).

What brand you you recommend? Our fully loaded haul is ...
Steering Axle ..... 5,560 lbs
Drive Axle.......... 7,540 lbs
Trailer Axle ...... 12,420 lbs
Gross Weight..... 25,520 lbs

The tire shop is recommending Firestone FS560 Plus (225/70R19.5)
$200.00 ea + $10.00ea to balance???

Can anyone also comment on the need for snow rated tires on the front. We live in Texas and do most of our Rving in the South.

Thanks guys...
Gordon

#2 ·
I am a big fan of Michelin XZE/XZE2. They ride well, wear well and balance well. Not the cheapest tire out there, but one of the best IMHO.

#3 ·
Thanks Alexb,

I couldn't find my size on their Web search. I need 225/70R19.5...

Do they make my size?
gp

#7 ·
I couldn't find my size on their Web search. I need 225/70R19.5...

Do they make my size?
Michelin makes several versions of their all-position truck tires with model numbers beginning with XZE. Some come in size 225/70R19.5 and some don't. Here's the best one for your needs = XZE2+. Click on "specifications" and you'll see your size:
Michelin Americas Truck Tires XZE2+

Those are not cheap. But you don't want cheap tires on your great tow vehicle. If I had an F-450 pickup and needed tires, that's the one I would go for.

#5 ·
tires

I have continental hsr and hdr's and they are smooth and ride well. they are a littl narrow and not aggressive enough tread for the sand. they work very well on the road.

#8 ·
Thanks guys...

I'm going with the Michelin XZEs. I found the size and my tire shop will put them on Saturday.

Little higher price $322.00ea but I'm going with your advice on the qulaity and road features.

Thanks again,
gp:thup:

#9 ·
Question on XZE load

Hi guys,

I just put on the Michelins and I have a question...

The original tires (Continental) had a single load max of 3970 lbs @95 PSI.
The Michelins have a maximum load of 3640 lbs @ 85 PSI.

I'm guessing this won't be a problem but need your opinion.

Thanks,
gp

#10 · (Edited)
It probably had 14 ply tires originally, and likely replaced by 12 ply tires. I wouldn't worry about it on a steering axle, but at the same time I'd ask the tire shop why they put on F's where there should be G's... if that's the case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.