The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided that I am going to pull the turbo off my truck and check and clan the ring. The truck is a 2005 F350. What all do I need to get this job done? I have the tools, but what will I want to have on hand as far as gaskets or seals?
As I posted in a previous thread a few weeks ago the turbo is over boosting. Every time it does I get 3 codes, P0234 P0460 and P0463. I am also getting a faint smell of oil after long trips. I looked and can see a slight oil leak on a tube that comes off the front of the turbo. It is a small metal tube on the bottom side of the turbo. It looks like there is a very small amount of oil dripping from the turbo side of this tube.
So, what all will I want to have on hand when I take the turbo off?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Turbo install kit from Ford has all the o-rings and gaskets, plus new bolts. For cleaning you can just use an air angle grinder with a gasket cleaning pad, and add a very light coat of antiseize on reassembly.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You can cut 1" cleaning pads down to 1/2" with scissors and hold the backing pad against a grinding wheel while running the die grinder to cut it down to size. Harbor Freight or Northern has cheap angle grinders.

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I don't know about those, but when I rebuilt mine at @ 140,000 there was no corrosion to speak of, and I live by the Chesapeake Bay. Mine is a daily driver though. It seems that those that sit have more corrosion problems. I did replace my unison ring with a Ford one off of Ebay.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My truck came from Daytona Beach Fla, i'm guessing thats where the corrosion came from

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Some of the byproducts of combustion are corrosive. Geographical location probably has little to do with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts