The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well since im buying a 97 powerstroke next week im pricing tune up supplys so here is my question.
1 im going to replace the glow plugs with new ford glow plugs needed or not
im going to put a new air filter, and fuel filter in her. my questions are are
what tranny fluid does it take? and how much with a new filter its the deep pan
what fluid do u put in the transfer case? and how huch does it hold?
what fluid goes in the axles? and how much
and how much oil does it hold?
and is there anything else i need to do? i want to put a bigger trans cooler on her

·
Premium Member
14,609 Posts
You can take a sneak peek at the owners manual - download it here - https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owner-manuals/

This will give you quantities as well as recommended grades on all the fluids you are interested in.

You should go through the front end and replace any worn steering parts, go through the brakes (lubricate the slide pins / change the brake fluid), flush the power steering fluid, probably will need to rebuild the hubs - always plenty of stuff to do on a new toy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the truck has automatic hubs so this summer those are being replaced with manuel hubs. if i can figure how to put pics on here i took alot of pics of it today.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
What model truck?

Automatic or manual transmission? Manual REQUIRES SYNTHETIC ATF, aprx. 3.2 quarts.

Limited slip or open rear diff? LS requires the friction additive, or synthetic gear lube.

Transfer case takes ATF; fill to the bottom of the fill hole. SOME t-cases have two fill holes. If yours has one, and you plan on using the PTO, you should fill to the higher fill hole.

Oil is 14 quarts with filter change. Option - siphon out the HPOP reservoir, and refill with one more fresh quart. NOTE: Contrary to what one well-known and not-well-respected youtube loudmouth says, this does NOT directly benefit the HPOP or anything with the hydraulic system. It's simply to get one more dirty quart out for each oil change. Your call whether it's worth the five minutes of your time.

Power steering takes ATF.

No owner's manual in the glove box? Tsk tsk on the PO. They're readily had on eBay. Handy to have, unless you like going fishing every time you blow a bulb or a fuse.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Check the axle code on the door jamb sticker.
35=4.10 open
39=3.55 open
C5=4.10 limited slip
C9=3.55 limited slip

If it's stock, it'll have the Dana 50 front axle. No drain, no diff cover, the axle beam itself acts as the diff cover. So you either get to tear it down, or siphon out through the fill hole, in order to change the dope. Synthetic gear oil is spendy, but your diffs will like it.

Edit - it being an F250, it's unlikely to have the PTO t-case with the second fill plug, so you can ignore all that.

·
Premium Member
14,609 Posts
what website said it had nothing
Click on the link above. In the middle of the page, you will see "Download Owner's Manuals" Put the tip of your mouse over the box next to "select year" and click. Select year. Do the same for make and model. Select F-SuperDuty for model. Click "Submit". Then, on the new screen that appears, click on the blue download button next to "1997 F-Super Duty Owner Manual Printing 1" Then, go to the section on Capacities and Specifications. I just did it and its all there. What isn't there is the Diesel Supplement, but the axles, power steering - all of that will be in the main manual.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
"Trans cooler" suggests that it's an auto. But as is often the case, we have to surmise (or just plain assume) from context, when about five seconds of typing to state year, model, tranny, cab/bed combo and drive type at the start of the opening post would save readers a lot of trouble and uncertainty.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Rear axle is actually a Sterling 10.25, not a Dana.

By quad cab do you mean four doors? If so that's a crew cab. Quad cab is a Dodge. ;)

Rear axle spec. is synthetic 75-140, transfer case is auto trans fluid. Can't remember the capacities off the top of my head. Owner's manual has them if you have one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts