The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i going to put in a pillar in my truck. I currently have the edge attitude but as we know that doesnt have a trans temp or a correct boost pressure ( with the boost fooler )

so i figured if im putting in a pillar i might as well put a three or even a four pack to get some feedback from our trucks.

The gauges i came up was

Boost - For proper reading
Trans - its a must
Power - only cause im running 5 hella 4000's with high out bulbs, and the head lights and fog lights have silverstars...

what else....

One more thing, what is the reason for a boost gauge, why do we need to know are boost... just a thought

Thank you
Noservice4you

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
First and formost should a EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature).
Second, Tranny temp.
Third and subsequent can be anything you want, but Boost is what most of us put in.

·
Registered
662 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

One more thing, what is the reason for a boost gauge, why do we need to know are boost... just a thought

Thank you
Noservice4you

[/ QUOTE ]

You will need a boost guage so that you will not blow your turbo. With a stock turbo on a PSD it is really not good to run over 25 psi for any extended length of time. Just a short spike could damage the turbo. That is why a boost guage is important so that you dont blow the stock turbo and cause $100's of damage. When you could just spend the $45 for the boost guage.

Ryan

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thank you
Noservice4you

[/ QUOTE ]

You will need a boost guage so that you will not blow your turbo. With a stock turbo on a PSD it is really not good to run over 25 psi for any extended length of time. Just a short spike could damage the turbo. That is why a boost guage is important so that you dont blow the stock turbo and cause $100's of damage. When you could just spend the $45 for the boost guage.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

what about for a early 99, what is the a safe amount of boost, what is red line, i can hit 25.3 no problem on WOT and ive hit 26 a few times, sound i be worried

·
Registered
678 Posts
Not sure on the max boost for a 99, but they do make a four gauge A pillar mount....

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Our most popular selling kit is Pyro, Boost, and Trans Temp. If you want a Voltmeter, we have that too. Either Black or white dial. Another example of why a boost and pyro gauge are important is this:

3 weeks ago I went up to Maine (some place that does not even have a town name) to go on a fishing/camping trip with some family. We had the whole clan, 10 of us going along w/ 5 canoes - you see, you can't drive out to where we went, must canoe 2 hrs. I thought I was going to need my passport. Anyway, on the drive up 95 my brother in law told me to "Punch it" to see what she had. I did just for a little bit to impress him. Well, I heard a pop, whishhhh and then had a loss of power. I instantly know what happened. I blew a boot. No problem, all I had to do was limp to the nearest rest area and reattach the boot. The Boost gauge was obviously reading 0 Lbs and my pyro was climbing. I was able to judge how much further I could go like this before the EGTs got too high. So you can see, in this case having gauges was extremely beneficial. By the way. There's no fish in Upper Jo Merry Lake. Didn't catch a single thing.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I think most will agree that a pre turbo EGT and tranny temp if you have an auto are two equal musts. For me the next most useful has been my boost since when towing it tells me how hard I can push the engine before the tranny downshifts. Also, as already mentioned it can tell you if you're having issues with this all important engine system and is a fairly cheap and easy mod to do so why not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Now in addition to those three I have four others and not sure if I can put a number on how desirable they are, but two not normally seen in most PSDs are an in cab air filter restriction gauge and a fuel system restriction gauge and those aren't A-pillar type gauges and take some custom work. Those two are IMO invaluable in performance monitoring and for proper maintenance of things like air filters and pre pump fuel system and filters if you have that mod. I also like my water temp gauge since I find it useful in gauging when that 747 fan is going to engage when I'm running the snot out of my Van and I have the 203* T-stat and think if you mod something from the factory you should have a way to monitor or check on whatever mod you have done. The last that most can get away with not having is a post turbo EGT gauge since the pre turbo can also be used, but with my heat wrapped downpipe I have found it useful.

I gauge that I would put in the same category as the air and fuel restriction gauges that I don't have would be an in cab fuel pressure gauge, but that's a $200 mod and the wife has said no more gauges ... I guess I could substitute that for my post EGT gauge, but need to have my $$$$ tree produce a little more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I do like my AIC since the older Vans didn't have a Tach and it can also be used as a basic voltmeter, but I don't think that is a very useful parameter.

I also have three more gauges/indicators I use for towing, but won't get into those here.

Larry

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
lets hear them...

[/ QUOTE ]

O.K. trailer batter charge amps, trailer brakes amps and trailer side to side level indicatior. <font color="red"> HERE</font> is the first and <font color="red"> HERE</font> are the other two

[ QUOTE ]
so no one is running oil temp or anything like that....

[/ QUOTE ]

A few have either the oil temp or pressure, but the PCM will shut down the engine for low oil pressure and the oil temp is very well controlled from the robust cooling system as far as I have seen from the posts. I think any oil temp problems would show up much sooner with a water temp gauge than an actual oil temp guage.

Larry

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have an oil temp on my 95. It serves no purpose really. The oil cooler more or less stabilizes the oil temp with the coolant temp. If you push the truck REAL hard, the gauge will move up, but so will water. I had it laying around, so I put it in. Would I do it again? Probably, because it looks cool!

Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
whishhh sound

I have a early 99 350, pretty much stock, exept I have a hypermax 300hp chip. My truck makes a whissh sound at low rpms (1200-1600) and I can feel the engine losing power a bit. It seems to be coming from behind the engine by the turbo. This is my first powerstroke, so I don't know much about them.

Our most popular selling kit is Pyro, Boost, and Trans Temp. If you want a Voltmeter, we have that too. Either Black or white dial. Another example of why a boost and pyro gauge are important is this:

3 weeks ago I went up to Maine (some place that does not even have a town name) to go on a fishing/camping trip with some family. We had the whole clan, 10 of us going along w/ 5 canoes - you see, you can't drive out to where we went, must canoe 2 hrs. I thought I was going to need my passport. Anyway, on the drive up 95 my brother in law told me to "Punch it" to see what she had. I did just for a little bit to impress him. Well, I heard a pop, whishhhh and then had a loss of power. I instantly know what happened. I blew a boot. No problem, all I had to do was limp to the nearest rest area and reattach the boot. The Boost gauge was obviously reading 0 Lbs and my pyro was climbing. I was able to judge how much further I could go like this before the EGTs got too high. So you can see, in this case having gauges was extremely beneficial. By the way. There's no fish in Upper Jo Merry Lake. Didn't catch a single thing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a early 99 350, pretty much stock, exept I have a hypermax 300hp chip. My truck makes a whissh sound at low rpms (1200-1600) and I can feel the engine losing power a bit. It seems to be coming from behind the engine by the turbo. This is my first powerstroke, so I don't know much about them.

Check the boots on the intercooler tubing, make sure its on right and tight with no holes. Then check the (usually orange) tubes that run from unfer the turbo to the intake manifolds. there are two and are only a few inches long. ive poped those off twice on my early 99. if those are all intact, look at the uppipes:sick:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I also have an Early 99 with the edge juice with attitude. i am contemplating a 4 guage a pillar pod but am def getting a 3 gauge at least. This is what i would suggest with a 3 guage pod, but maybe we can both be enlightened for a 4 guage pod.

The edge will monitor boost, Post turbo egts, and rpms:icon_rolleyes:. The pillar will have Trans temp, Pre turbo EGT, and Boost. If i get the 4 guage pod, what should the 4th guage be??

·
Registered
159 Posts
If i get the 4 guage pod, what should the 4th guage be??
I would say go with the 4. You will find something to stick in the hole. I got the 3 guage and kicked myself because I now I want a fuel pressure guage, but more than that I'm looking at a DP tuner and they make a controller that sits in a guage hole (this doesn't apply to you with the edge, but you get my point.)

·
Registered
281 Posts
yea i was thinking fuel press too. Thanks. just helped make my mind up! i should have them by Feb.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts