The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ford 2001 C.C. 7.3L truck has been becoming harder to start even in warm weather , with 160 K, I jumped the gun and installed 8 new Glow plugs, I have a lot of tools and time on my side .(8 hours of time,what a PITA). After installing new G.P.'s there was no change in this starting issue ( Should have tested them first ).
Then the truck went to the local garage for tranny maintenance etc, and the fellow tested my G.P.R. and he stated it was'nt working !!! So back to my garage and got the meter out,sure as Chit , I was only getting 10 volts to the hot side of the GPR...(eh gads, my batteries suck). Nope corrision under the rubber cover ," a bunch of corrision", you couldn't see it becausof the rubber cover protecting the hot side of the GPR . So I cleaned up the corrision and tested voltage to the GPR (yes 12+ volts) started the truck up , and the old girl fired right up ! I should have tested the GPR FIRST ! A new GPR was ordered and installed as the original had 160K on it and winter is coming !

Next was intermintent default of defroster to windshield ,no control over the vent control, all air flow went to the windshield ( I hate cold feet ). So I know I have a vacuum leak , and I have a lot of tools, and buckets of spare time . I started with a manual vacuum pump and another vacuum gauge to test the hubs in the truck and they tested OK :smile2: . Then testing all the other lines,all lines are fine, and if you take the vacuum line off of the vacuum pump and block the intake with your finger it shuts off almost instantly ! and I found out that the vacuum pump will pump down to 17 ,SO IT"S NOT the pump ,I even checked the resevoir for a leak ,and no way everything is good .
So why is my vacuum pump running forever and the vacuum pump is not shutting off ? Well let me tell you guys it's the Vacuum switch for the 4WD that is DEFECTIVE .....and not all the time in my case . So I ordered a DOORMAN from Ebay and voila ,defrost system is working 4WD is working all for $35.00 .FYI once the new vacuum switch was installed ,it took the little vacuum pump 1min and 45 sec. to pump down the sytem and shut itself off :laugh2:
So the lesson I have learned is to test the componets , DON'T jump the gun . If your not mechanical find someone that is ,and use youtube as that is an ocean of information for you to use !

And "Thank you gentlemen" for taking the time to post all the issues and all the repairs to keep our old S.D. running the best we can !
You never stop learning :lol:

Bigbird34

Reactions: aclasshog

·
Registered
382 Posts
Good advice bigbird, thanks for posting. Love my 01.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts