The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The truck is a 2001 with a 145,000 miles and I just completed my 2nd oil change. When I bought it, I did an oil change using 15-40 Rotella. I did not notice any drips or leaking and have been checking. Just did an oil change at 5,000 miles and she was 4 quarts low. I had checked the oil at 2,500 miles and it looked fine. Now, I am wondering if I misread the dipstick or what. I obviously need to check this every other fill up.

Since buying this truck, I have replaced the fuel filter, water pump ( did the 20 gallon flush, only took 18), replaced upper and lower ball joints, replaced u joints, shocks, front bearings on both sides and the manual locking hubs (used Warn). I thought I was taking care of this truck, and now I feel like a schmuck.

What kind of oil consumption is normal if any? Does synthetic oil reduce quicker than non synthetic? Am I better off to buy 5-40 and change at 3,500.

Thanks,
Rich

· Registered
7,518 Posts
Mine uses about half that amount. I rarely drive anything other than highway miles, cruise set on 65-75 mph.

I change mine at 3000-3500 miles and it is about a quart low when I change it. If I remember to pour my left over quart in at around 2000 miles it will be real close to the full level when I change it.

· Registered
59 Posts
I'm interested in this as well.. mine's at 160k and is usually down at least two quarts when changing the oil.

I've used the Power Stroke oil for the last two changes, but apparently, it's not the best oil to use - it was ALWAYS Delo before that.

· Registered
1,407 Posts
Although I only have 53k on my truck, I am only down about a 1/2 qt in 5,000 miles. I have found no difference between dino and synthetic oil as far as consumption is concerned. I don't think I would be too concerned with 2-3 qts with 5k between changes.
Jim

· Premium Member
18,824 Posts
My '99.5 used almost exactly one quart every 4,000 miles, from day one thru 194,000 miles. I normally used Shell Rotella T 15w40, but I ran a few oil change intervals (OCI) with synthetic 15w40. Dino or syn made no difference in oil consumption. My truck was always towing heavy in dusty conditions, so I used 3,000 miles as my OCI for the first 50,000 miles. Then I began Blackstone Oil Analysis and they said my OCI was 5,500 or 6,000 miles. I always changed the oil very close to the OCI Blackstone recommended. Blackstone oil analysis showed no difference whether I used dino or syn motor oil.

· Registered
371 Posts
7.3 with 105 kmiles , no leaks .
3/4 quart in 5k oil change interval. teeny bit more when towing allot.
shell rottela 15-40 dino.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should have mentioned that about 1,000 of thos emiles were towing a heavy boat/trailer combination. Thanks for the thoughts.

Smokey- are you using the non synthetic 5-40 or 15-40? The only Rotella 15-40 I have found in Maryland in the synthetic.

· Premium Member
18,824 Posts
Smokey- are you using the non synthetic 5-40 or 15-40? The only Rotella 15-40 I have found in Maryland in the synthetic.
I suspect you got it backwards. Rotella T6 full synthetic is 5w40.
Shell Rotella® Products - Shell Rotella

Rotella T dino is 15w40, and also comes in 10w30 for wintertime use up north.
Shell Rotella® Products - Shell Rotella
I used the 15w40 dino except for a few oil changes when I tried synthetic.

Amsoil has both 5w40 and 15w40 full synthetic for diesel engines. I used the 15w40. One time I found 16 quarts of Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 synthetic at the same price as dino so I bought it.

· Administrator
25,202 Posts
I've added oil about 3 times in the life of the truck (nearing 140k miles), and the last time was right after a change, because I think I shorted it just a bit. I change oil at 5000 miles and am rarely in the lower half of the hatched section on the stick, so maybe a quart low when changed. My engine oil will drop from the top of the hatches to about midway pretty quickly, and then stay there for the rest of the OCI.

I've never used syn, and stick with Delo 400 15W40, except for one winter I tried it in 10W30. Saw no real difference in performance and it was a pain to get, so stick with the 15W40.

· Registered
1,359 Posts
I use the Amsoil bypass filtration system (2 oil filters), with Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic and change it every 15k or 1 yr, whichever comes first. I Blackstone test every other change and have seen no marked problems or major changes. I usually add 3-4 quarts over the year, and I do have a very small oil leak (a drop or 2 a night).

· Registered
1,957 Posts
I was sending my oli to Blackstone and started with a 5000 mile change, 7500 mile change anf finally a 10,000 change! Blackstone noted no difference and said I should keep doing what I was doing. That said, the truck is ALWAYS two quarts low. I fill it---it drops it. I dont understand it.

· Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Mine uses a bit under 1/4 Litre (.05 Gal ) not sure of the conversion , and is only used for towing heavy, I oil change every 5000 klms (3000m) and change the filter.

· Registered
770 Posts
Approaching 160K, change oil approximately every 5,000 miles, Rotella T, Chevron Delo 400 Multi Grade and Mobil Delvac 1300 Super - whatever is selling at the best price, all 15W40 and am consistently about one quart low at oil change time.

· Registered
74 Posts
How do you check the oil level in our trucks?:no:

haha... usually 'lose' around 1+ qts per oil change. Towing my travel trailer bumps that number closer to 2 qts.

My HPOP oil leak lost about 3qts in 400miles, but the silver lining was a well lubricated underside all the way back to the trailer chains!

· Registered
3 Posts
My 2001 F-350 has 209,000+ miles, Blackstone once a year. Change oil and filter at 7,000 miles (Blackstone 8,000 +). Pull 12,000# 5th wheel. Usually, about 1/3 miles are pulling, rest running empty, while camped. Rotella 15W40, Ford filter. Just changed oil/filter at 6,914 miles. 3,234 miles were pulling trailer. Made trip East to Massachusetts, Vermont, Michigan, then home to SW Missouri. Added 2 quarts on trip! Quart low when I changed. No complaints, other than we burned a lot of diesel !!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.