The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is 5.5 years old and has 72k. I see no hose issues, but I do plan on flushing the coolant and was wondering how long people go on the original hoses. Thanks

· Registered
3,401 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
My truck is 5.5 years old and has 72k. I see no hose issues, but I do plan on flushing the coolant and was wondering how long people go on the original hoses. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Good time to change is when changing coolant, might think about water pump and t-stat also. Good insurance.

· Registered
486 Posts
Just changed mine at 94K and 5+ years. Looked ok, but not worth the hassle of a summertime roadside breakdown.

CH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

· Registered
6,005 Posts
I have always used spray silicone on all my hoses. I try and get top and bottom and in all my years of doing this I have never had a hose leave me stranded. I believe a lot variables are involved, where you drive, how often, maintenance, if they are looking dried out and cracked I would change them. This would also be a good time to switch the upper rad hose to the one for a dual alternator set up as it doesn't run through the fan belt.

· Registered
505 Posts
My origionals still look good. I wipe them down occasionly. I did just recently replace my upper hose, but that was because I put on the upgraded hose that goes around the serpintine belt instead of through it.

· Registered
243 Posts
I change them when they let go. I am still waiting, now at 115k and they look good.

· Registered
272 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I change them when they let go. I am still waiting, now at 115k and they look good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a believer in 5 years - change rubbers - NOW WAIT JUST A MINUTE!!!

Thats NOT what I ment.

BBT

· Registered
336 Posts
I changed mine at 110K when the water pump let go. While I was in there I changed the upper hose to the around-the-belt, lower hose, and serpentine belt, all which were original. The water pump is not that expensive and other than the fan nut it is a relatively quick and easy job. You might consider doing it all at the same time.

· Registered
1,554 Posts
I do the coolant hoses (ALL OF THEM) and the FEAD belt as part of my 100K maintenance interval, along with a complete coolant flush, an ATF change, and a rearend check.

My truck is currently about due for the second one of these... (206K on the odo, 100K was done at 111K...)

· Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so at 5.5 years and 71k, should I replace them? I am going to do the switch over to ELC. I don't mind doing it, but don't want to just waste money and time for the hell of it.

· Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do the new hoses use regular hose clamps or do they use those funky factory glued clamps?

· Registered
6,005 Posts
You can use whatever clamps you want, as to whether or not you should change them, as I said before look at them and decide for yourself. Some hoses depending on how they have been maintained and where they have been used can be cracked and split at 50K others can go 150K, just look at them.

· Registered
209 Posts
350K on my 95 with factory hoses.

· Registered
7,518 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Do the new hoses use regular hose clamps or do they use those funky factory glued clamps?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you buy the hoses from Ford they will come with glued OE style clamps. If you buy from an auto parts store they don't come with clamps. Part of the reason I bought mine from Ford is because I like those clamps.

· Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There was a time when folks did not like those clamps. I have not had a problem, but some hated them and felt they were prone to failure.

· Registered
816 Posts
I replaced mine at 90k (truck was 7.5 yrs old). I also installed ELC at that time and the outside the belt hose. To be honest with you, the original hoses still looked great inside and out. No soft spotsor anything, I was very impressed. I kept them as emergency spares. I left the original belt in place as it showed very little sign of wear or cracking, I am amazed. I do have a spare belt if needed.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
I'm going to post this and have a failure tomorrow but here we go...

I have 7 years and 165k on the factory hoses. they still look good no cracks or other signs of fatigue. when the pump goes I'll consider changing them.

· Registered
816 Posts
Had I not changed over to the EL Coolant I would not have changed my hoses....I am still amazed at how nice they looked. With the price and work involved in the ELC changeover I didn't want to have a hose failure and wind up with $100 of coolant and distilled water on the highway somehere.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.