The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be changing the brakes on my "new" 2001 F250SD (bought in Feb 2016 with 64K mi, now at 69K mi) before I take it to Alaska next spring. For over 15 years with my '97 F250 I used Motorcraft parts and thought they were OEM.. But after reading many of the posts here about brake pads and now seeing on fordparts.com that there are Motorcraft ( $71 (BR-1266) - $83 Super duty (BRSD-756))pads and OEM ($116) pads for my F250 I am wondering what the difference is.

I do not haul a heavy trailer, occasionally haul a 20ft flatbed with my 1948 mercury on it, but mostly use it for hauling stuff to and from the yard (1.5 acres) of apple, plum, fig trees and garden things. For camping we use it for carrying our Four Wheel Campers Keystone camper, but empty it only weighs 1200lb, loaded it comes in about 1600-1700lb.

SO,, what is the difference between Motorcraft and OEM ? I'll be looking at new rotors too so same question IF they have both.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
OEM is a brand for generic Chinese tools.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CMDPCQ/[/ame]

"Original equipment manufacturer (O.E.M.)" means any company that made any part used on any vehicle at any factory assembly line. For instance: Siemens made the blower motor that Ford installed on your truck. So by definition, Siemens is an O.E.M. And any part Siemens makes could be called an "O.E.M. part", even if it's not a part that Siemens ever delivered to an assembly line. Because Siemens was once an O.E.M. , they could accurately describe ALL their products as "O.E.M.", even if they started making toothbrushes and chewing gum. And even though they still make blower motors, the new motors are NOT exact copies of the ones they delivered to Ford; there's a LOT of new technology that has affected their designs and products.

So it's really a meaningless term.

"Original equipment (O.E.)" means the actual exact parts that an automaker installed on the assembly line. Not the ones you'd buy at the dealership, even if the vehicle was still in production. The ONLY places to get true O.E. parts are 1) off the dealer's lot by buying a vehicle, or 2) at the JY. Nowhere else no way at no price.

MotorCraft is Ford's licensed brand name for authorized replacement parts. Before a manufacturer can put his parts into a MC box/bag, or put a MC label on his parts, those parts must meet Ford's exact specs for replacements (NOT for factory use). At the time they're built, they have all the revisions & upgrades that Ford has developed for that part in that application. If they're old, then they may not have the latest revisions.

The distinction between SD & OEM among MC parts is subtly different... The "MC" pads are what Ford recommends for people who use their vehicles as Ford expected (those who follow the normal maintenance schedule). The "SD" pads are for those who follow the Severe-Duty maintenance schedule. Read your truck's owner guide or maintenance schedule for the differences. Neither of those is necessarily made by the same supplier(s) who shipped parts to the assembly line in '97. The "OEM" pads are made by the assembly-line supplier, though that DOESN'T mean they're identical to the OE pads.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Anything that reduces a rotor's surface area (like slots or drilling) reduces its braking force (with the same pedal force), and INcreases its temperature & wear. Solid-faced rotors are better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll be changing the brakes on my "new" 2001 F250SD (bought in Feb 2016 with 64K mi, now at 69K mi) before I take it to Alaska next spring. For over 15 years with my '97 F250 I used Motorcraft parts and thought they were OEM.. But after reading many of the posts here about brake pads and now seeing on fordparts.com that there are Motorcraft ( $71 (BR-1266) - $83 Super duty (BRSD-756))pads and OEM ($116) pads for my F250 I am wondering what the difference is.

I do not haul a heavy trailer, occasionally haul a 20ft flatbed with my 1948 mercury on it, but mostly use it for hauling stuff to and from the yard (1.5 acres) of apple, plum, fig trees and garden things. For camping we use it for carrying our Four Wheel Campers Keystone camper, but empty it only weighs 1200lb, loaded it comes in about 1600-1700lb.

SO,, what is the difference between Motorcraft and OEM ? I'll be looking at new rotors too so same question IF they have both.
Because Steve83 is incapable of giving a concise answer to the question, I will. The price is usually higher for O.E. style parts because in theory, you're paying for the version of that part that would've been installed on the assembly line. Buying it now would also yield a different number from back then most likely because the part will have 'revisions/updates' to it. On top of that is the warranty, which is not always better versus going aftermarket.
Motorcraft on the other hand will typically utilize certified 'aftermarket' manufacturers that meet the specifications provided by ford.Thus earning the motorcraft stamp

·
Registered
2,257 Posts

MOTORCRAFT BRSD756 {#2U2J2C452ACA, 2U2Z2V001AF} Superduty Pads; Integrally Molded Info
Front; D756

<
Part image
>
$39.89

I get my brake pads at rockauto.com. Motorcraft superduty pads BRSD756 sound to me like a good choice.

2001 FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY 7.3L V8 DIESEL Turbocharged Brake Pad | RockAuto

·
Super Moderator
26,393 Posts
To answer your original question on a recommendation for brake pads, I would go with the SuperDuty pads like Don suggested. That's what I used. Also I used Motorcraft Rotors (which had Made in China on the box). Since I have a manual tranny, my brakes last quite a bit longer than a truck with an auto tranny. I've been over 15,000 GCVW (towing a 21' boat and carrying an 8' camper) without issues in braking.

·
Registered
239 Posts
:rolleyes:I might have been interested in knowing what he ended up with for brakes 5 years ago, and if he made it to Alaska.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts