The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone pulled a trailer with a tongue weight of 2500 to 3000 lbs and do you know what the max toung weight is for the old girl.
She is a F350 1997 7.3 crew cab with a 8 foot bed.

I need to pick up a trailer in solon OH that weighs 9000 with 3k of it on the toung empty. I was going to put 2.5k in the back of it which will lighten the by 500 lbs.

Thanks,
Lief

·
Super Moderator
6,333 Posts
Depends on your hitch, it should be stamped on the reciever tube.

Unless you have weight distribution that will be used when you haul it you need to look at the weight carrying capacity. Probably 5000 lb trailer, 500 lb tongue weight (I am not sure of this) so you will probably be WAAAAAY over.

·
Registered
337 Posts
500 lbs is a weight that also comes to mind for a tounge weight. I actully put the bathroom scale under the trailer jack one time to see the optimum spot to strap my antique farm tractor down. I rolled the tractor back and forth untill I read 300lbs on the scale, then i marked the deck for future reference. The load was nice and center over the wheels of the trailer and the tractor weighs 4000lbs. Anything more then that i'd start looking into gooseneck trailers.

·
Super Moderator
6,333 Posts
I neglected to mention there will be two ratings, weight carrying (lower of the two) and weight distributing (higher of the two and only applies if you are using a weight distributing hitch). I do not know of ANY bumper pull hitch rated for 3000 lbs of tongue weight on anything smaller than a medium duty truck (F650 or 750 and up).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
info needed (max toung weight)

thanks all,

My chev 2500HD (3/4 ton) has 1000 lbs and 1500 distribted. The 1 ton ford must be more. The truck is a little ways away so I can not read it now.

You guys must have small 3/4 ton stuff.

Anyone with a factory hitch on a 97 1 ton dually??

·
Super Moderator
6,333 Posts
Factory ratings aside, the highest rated reciever hitch I am aware of is the Reese Titan V which is limited to 1400 lbs tongue weight, less than half your stated tongue weight. You do not say what hitch the truck has that you want to tow with.

LINK TO TITAN SPECS

·
Super Moderator
6,333 Posts
BTW, if you click on the bumper link in my signature you will get a look at my bumper. We figure my reciever is rated for 15k+ and was used for towing a bobcat or small dozer on a lunette eye equipped equipment trailer. Might want to take a look before you dismiss us "small 3/4 ton stuff" guys.

·
Registered
41 Posts
my small 3/4 ton has a Class V hitch on it...

i have 1500 pound tongue weight rating. and total trailer weight of 15000 pounds.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Has anyone pulled a trailer with a tongue weight of 2500 to 3000 lbs and do you know what the max toung weight is for the old girl.
She is a F350 1997 7.3 crew cab with a 8 foot bed.

I need to pick up a trailer in solon OH that weighs 9000 with 3k of it on the toung empty. I was going to put 2.5k in the back of it which will lighten the by 500 lbs.

Thanks,
Lief
This has nothing to do with the truck it's just what the hitch is rated at. I had to purchase an aftermarket hitch to get 1500# w/o weight distribution. The stock hitches are much less, more like 500# or so w/o weight distribution regardless of whether it's a F250 or F350. I don't know about your year truck but my year truck the F250 and the F350 use the same frame for a given style truck (SB,LB,RC,SC, or CC) as I understand it, it's the axle ratings that make the difference.

·
Super Moderator
6,333 Posts
This has nothing to do with the truck it's just what the hitch is rated at. I had to purchase an aftermarket hitch to get 1500# w/o weight distribution. The stock hitches are much less, more like 500# or so w/o weight distribution regardless of whether it's a F250 or F350. I don't know about your year truck but my year truck the F250 and the F350 use the same frame for a given style truck (SB,LB,RC,SC, or CC) as I understand it, it's the axle ratings that make the difference.
With all that said, you are still at only half the hitch rating the original poster needs for his 3000 lb tongue weight. The weakest link in this chain will be the hitch. I can add 2,220 lbs to the total weight of my truck before I exceed the GVWR (GVWR of 8800 minus scaled weight of 6,580 = 2220). I can add 2924 lbs to the weight of the rear axle before I exceed the GAWR of the truck (GAWR of 6084 minus scaled rear axle weight of 3160 = 2924) but I would still be over the GVWR by 704 lbs. None of this matters, though, if the hitch is only rated for 500 lbs tongue weight without weight distribution. That is most likely the lowest rating and the one that you should not exceed, followed very closely by GAWR.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
With all that said, you are still at only half the hitch rating the original poster needs for his 3000 lb tongue weight. The weakest link in this chain will be the hitch. I can add 2,220 lbs to the total weight of my truck before I exceed the GVWR (GVWR of 8800 minus scaled weight of 6,580 = 2220). I can add 2924 lbs to the weight of the rear axle before I exceed the GAWR of the truck (GAWR of 6084 minus scaled rear axle weight of 3160 = 2924) but I would still be over the GVWR by 704 lbs. None of this matters, though, if the hitch is only rated for 500 lbs tongue weight without weight distribution. That is most likely the lowest rating and the one that you should not exceed, followed very closely by GAWR.
I agree! He needs to be looking for a much larger truck capable of towing a BP trailer with that tongue weight or different trailer.

My earlier comment "...This has nothing to do with the truck..." while unclear on my part, was directed at the inference that the F350 would have a heavier duty hitch than the F250.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all!!

That was great. I have a 9000 lb dry ( not loaded) trailer to bring 566 miles. This trailer is a gian leaf vac with a 125 HP john deere diesel close to the toung, darn. The back ;half is a 9 yrd empty dump. I was thinking to add 2500 lbs of shingles to the very back of dump, it is a triple axel but I can get them about 1.5 feet behid the last axel.

Now I might have 2k to 2.5k on the toung. I would like to know if anyone has (or was ^##^% enough to try) overloaded the toung that much and for 600 miles or even 100 miles.

I do have a gooseneck that I could load it on backwards and put the weight over the axels of the trailer. The trailer has 3 7k axels and I've halled 17k + 8k load + traler for 500 miles. I know the 350 could do it. Just not sure about my total height and did't really want to pul 2 trailers.

Just never did the bumper pull this over loaded.

Thanks all for your help in advance,
Sorry about the little truck comment, really, very sorry.
Lief

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
...Just not sure about my total height...
Taking the GN trailer sounds good to me and think about loading the trailer then removing the wheels and set it on blocks as low as possible if that makes the height right.

·
Super Moderator
6,333 Posts
I would strongly suggest using the gooseneck - even with the heaviest duty hitch noted here you would be at 1 and 2/3 times the maximum tongue weight rated by the hitch manufacturer, and if you have the factory hitch you would probably be at 5 times the recommended maximum (most here have confirmed 500 lb tongue weight max for weight carrying as the rating on the factory hitch).

The truck is not the problem - the hitch is the problem.

Choice is yours.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I saw a comment on here not too long ago where guy mentioned hauling a tag trailer with a 4000lb tongue weight...but it pulled the hitch off the truck. Maybe he'll chime in with more info.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Haha I'm one of the ones that have been stupid enough to haul way passed the factory hitch ratings. For the past couple of years I have been hauling hay on my trailer (see sig) in the range of about 14,000 lbs with I'm guessing about at least 2k of tounge weight at any to given time (never using wieght dist) keeping in mind that the hitch that came on mine was rated for 500 tounge w/o wieght dist. and 1000 with. Also my boss and I have gone on several multi thousand mile trips with 2-3k tougne w/o wieght dist. on his stock dodge 2500 hitch with very bad roads in between... And believe me if any hitch were to fail I thought it'd be the dodge hitch (no bias haha) but we never have had any problems as of yet. Although I ended up getting the bumper in my sig so that I would avoid that dreaded nightmare ever happening. Check out their website Reunel Extreme Heavy Duty Bumpers they make great bumpers with the highest tow ratings I has able to find. Super down to earth people with very reasonable prices (ok commercial is over). Good luck though, I would just take it real easy and do everything you can to minimalize the strain on the hitch. Take backroads and remember that above all keep it clear and safe behind you, perhaps having a buddy tag along behind you? 'cheers!

·
Super Moderator
6,333 Posts
Well, REUNEL makes one rated at 6,000 tongue weight and 20,000 trailer weight, highest I have seen. Someone DOES make a hitch that will easily handle this load. Thanks for the info Josh03

Dave / Believer45

1 - 17 of 17 Posts