Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New and learning about my ‘99 7.3.

Can someone identify the part in this pic? The black part with vacuum lines on one side.

It is right below the solenoid on the passenger side.

It vibrates and makes a ton of noise - is that normal?

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Gas Electrical wiring

8,791 Posts
Welcome to The Diesel Stop. You must have heard about our once monthly, “ Name This Part” contest. Spectacular gift certificates from participating site sponsoring vendors are rumored to be had. Unfortunately, your question was answered before the commercial break.
We do however, welcome you and your future questions. ****
****= I am in no way affiliated with this joint. I am here soley to answer technical questions, offer technical advise and comical relief when such is appropriate.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
As JGK said - Vacuum Pump. Yes, noise is normal.

Taken from another site:

“Petrol engines have a throttle in the air flow path. When throttle is closed there is vacuum in the induction manifold. This vacuum is used to power assist the brakes.
In a diesel engines there is no throttle in the air intake path. Engine speed variation is by varying the amount of fuel injected. Hence there is no vacuum generated.
Because there is no vacuum , a separate vacuum pump is operated, this is used to power assist the brakes.”

Also, vacuum is used for the Heat/AC controls - duct door flaps.

Big Horn

Reactions: rc4man and Oneof6
8,791 Posts
Incorrect. That pump operates the HVAC control door. It also operates the auto locking axle hubs.
Correct on no tappable vacuum source on Diesel engines.
‘99 up use a hydraulic booster to assist the apply of piston of brake master cylinder.
Pre ‘99 used an engine driven vacuum pump to supply vacuum to a vacuum assist brake booster.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Taken from another site:
“...Because there is no vacuum , a separate vacuum pump is operated, this is used to power assist the brakes.”
Big Horn

Naaaaa Bruh...
I know you were quoting another site, but that is very misleading.
As previously stated, this vacuum pump is for AC blend doors & 4WD actuators (when applicable).

For the record, Brake Boost assist on this truck is accomplished with HydroBoost - basically an extension of the Power Steering Pump loop...

Reactions: 1999f-250superduty

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Ahh, no. Climate control still requires vacuum on those models.
So your saying if it has climate control, it’s a 4 Wheel Drive with auto hubs and ESOF? We were discussing “Hubs” ..........as in some are manual

8,791 Posts
Ford Doctor was replying to you saying that the electric pump was only on trucks with ESOF and auto hubs and the thread is about the electric pump. At least I think that.
Big Horn, If you look at post #6, You will see what Ford Doctor is referring to brother🙂

·
Administrator
24,978 Posts
Question asked and answered.

No need to get argumentative.

Closed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.