The Diesel Stop banner

what is this?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JimTJr 
#1 ·
ok i was out crawling underneath the front end and saw a hard plastic ring with a groove all the way around it in the middle. the ring was, forgive me for my terminology here but.....it was between the end of the axle and the u joints i believe, just hanging there it would spin in a circle freely. not sure how long its been like this. it is the same on both sides. any suggestions on what it is and what i have to do about it. thank you.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
it is a part of one of your axle seals.. they are all probably shot. Mine were when I did my Ball Joints.
I replaced them,,,dont know if it's worth tearing down JUST for them,,if that is all thats bad. The ones between the differential housing and the
U Joints is just a dust seal I think..does not hold oil or anything.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

#3 ·
thats what i thought they were, just a dust seal. it doesnt look like anything has been leaking or anything like that. can i just take a screwdriver and hammer and lightly tap them back into place? also if they were bad how can you tell?

#4 ·
If you have ESOF, this seal is also a vacuum seal. A vacuum leak here can either keep the hubs from locking automatically, allow dirt and water to be drawn into the spindle bearing or both.

Replacing these seals is part of the spindle bearing service. The recommended service interval for these bearings can be found here https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/maintenance_schedules/Getymm.asp

#5 ·
The one he is talking about is the seal on the differential side I think....between the diff housing and the U joints...nothing to do with the vacume there,,,right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.