The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone-

I’m new to the forum, new to this truck and I’m trying to get it back to having everything functional. It sat for years, and was given to me for towing my boat. There are a lot of minor issues, but it runs strong.

My question is, what is this thing? It’s on the passenger side of the engine compartment, up against the firewall and on top of everything. It sound like it has something to do with the heater/AC. It has one white wire going to it and it’s broken. It looks like a solonoid.

Anyone know what it does?

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
That’s the heater recirculating door actuator. It’s vacuum operated. There should be a 1/8” hard plastic tube leading to it. It looks like yours has been chewed by rats/mice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s the heater recirculating door actuator. It’s vacuum operated. There should be a 1/8” hard plastic tube leading to it. It looks like yours has been chewed by rats/mice.
Well that would make sense. I’ve been wondering where the copper part of the wire went. It’s been rotted out by AZ hear and sun.

What exactly does that do/mean? What would happen with it broken? This truck never gets part the “N” on normal as far as engine temp, so I think it may have a stuck thermostat as well; unless that would affect it somehow?

Do you know where the tube runs to? I’ll replace it, but it would be helpful to know how long of a tube I need and where it needs to run rather than pull the entire harness apart to find it.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have noticed this on my 1996. I guess IDI and PS have them. Mine looks exactly like yours with the white piece dry rotted and broke in half. @0298PSD, What does the tube look like? Or is the white piece the tube? Is there a part number for it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Kinda the wrong thing to call it. Yes for recirc, but only kicks on with max a.c. setting.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well that would make sense. I’ve been wondering where the copper part of the wire went. It’s been rotted out by AZ hear and sun.

What exactly does that do/mean? What would happen with it broken? This truck never gets part the “N” on normal as far as engine temp, so I think it may have a stuck thermostat as well; unless that would affect it somehow?

Do you know where the tube runs to? I’ll replace it, but it would be helpful to know how long of a tube I need and where it needs to run rather than pull the entire harness apart to find it.

Thanks for your help!
If the tube is broken you’ll lose vacuum in the system which will affect your brakes. The tube runs to a fitting on the pass fender liner if I remember correctly.

I have noticed this on my 1996. I guess IDI and PS have them. Mine looks exactly like yours with the white piece dry rotted and broke in half. @0298PSD, What does the tube look like? Or is the white piece the tube? Is there a part number for it?

Thanks.
The white piece is the tube, you should be able to get it at auto parts stores

Kinda the wrong thing to call it. Yes for recirc, but only kicks on with max a.c. setting.

Not trying to be misleading, that’s what Rock Auto called it when I ordered it.

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
Yep, that's exactly what it's referred to all the years I've worked in the trade in both shop and parts manuals, don't know what else you'd call it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info. I’ll try and find the fitting tomorrow and get it fixed. It’s got a lot of small things like this to repair, so I’m sure I’ll be asking more questions about other things.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
If the tube is broken you’ll lose vacuum in the system which will affect your brakes. The tube runs to a fitting on the pass fender liner if I remember correctly.

The white piece is the tube, you should be able to get it at auto parts stores

True. But they also call a icp sensor a fuel injection sensor. Lol

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
^^^^ And how many places call the starter and/or GP relay "solenoids"....

That line does NOT come directly from the vacuum manifold under the hood. It comes from the vacuum controls on the HVAC head in the dash, and then goes to the recir... er... max A/C door. Tearing apart the harness is overkill. Cut each side back to where it's clean, get som appropriate sized regular rubber vacuum hose, and slip over each open end to re-join. Doesn't need to be anything fancy. Shoot, that hose broke on one of our '95s when we were out in the boonies at the cabin. My wife had the idea of cannibalizing a Purell pump bottle for the hose; we patched it in, electrical-taped it to secure it, and I actually have forgotten about it until being reminded by this thread. Had to be at least 6 years ago.

And actually, you won't lose any brake boost, because there's no vacuum supplied to that line until you hit Max A/C.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts