The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What Is What - Definitions For This Forum

Per requests from several on the forum, the following is what is what:

Please PM me if anyone sees anything that should be added.

B20 Mix of 20% biodiesel and 80% Diesel

Bio Diesel is fuel made from oil through a process called transesterifacation. That is the seperation of the glycerine from the esters in the oil. This is what the methanol and lye do. The glycerine is the waste and the esters is the bio-d.

Blended Vegetable Oil Mixing Vegetable oil with a thinning agent to lower the viscosity of the Vegetable Oil so it pumps and injects more like diesel.

FPHE Flat Plate Heat Exchanger

RUG Regular Unleaded Gasoline

SVO is new straight veggie oil (any kind, never used). May also need heated, like WVO.

ULSD Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel

WVO is used veggie oil, usually picked up from a restaurant or food processing plant. Once processed it may need to be warmed in your tank or pickup in colder weather so your engine can use it.

I will edit as I come across clearer or other definitions.

Dave / Believer45

·
Registered
37 Posts
what does harpooned tank mean?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
It's 'transesterfication'.

·
Premium Member
4,063 Posts
Transesterification (Chemical Conversion of Biodiesel)

The manufacturing of biodiesel from vegetable oils (e.g. soy, canola, jatropha or sunflower seed) or animal fats, involves the base-catalyzed transesterification of fatty acids with methanol or ethanol to give the corresponding methyl esters or ethyl esters. Glycerin is an inevitable byproduct of this reaction.

Vegetable oils as animal fats are triglycerides composed of three chains of fatty acids bound by a glycerin molecule. Triglycerides are esters. Esters are acids, like fatty acids, combined with an alcohol. Glycerine (= glycerol) is a heavy alcohol. In the conversion process triglyceride esters are turned into alkyl esters (= biodiesel) using a catalyst (lye) and an alcohol reagent, e.g. methanol, which yields methyl esters biodiesel. The methanol replaces the glycerin.

The glycerine - the heavier phase - will sink to the bottom. Biodiesel - the lighter phase - floats on top and can be separated, e.g. by decanters or centrifuges. This conversion process is called transesterification.

The conventional esterification reaction in batch processing tends to be slow, and phase separation of the glycerin is time-consuming, often taking 5 hours or more.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
W85: An 85% waste motor oil (WMO) to 15% regular unleaded gasoline (RUG) blend that has been found to be a good starting point for both the IDI an 7.3 PSD engines. W85 should be completely de-watered and filtered to at least 5 micron absolute.

·
Registered
593 Posts
SBC = Small Block Chevy. Used often to describe an oil pump setup that has been modified to transfer oil through hoses. ( ie- SBC pump)

·
Registered
212 Posts
SBC = Small Block Chevy. Used often to describe an oil pump setup that has been modified to transfer oil through hoses. ( ie- SBC pump)
Also SBC= worthless boat anchor. haha. If im lying im dying on this one, a guy i worked with, and yes he did happen to have a mullet, i swear, said quote: "that thar 350 in my chevy will pull circles around that yonder pieceojunk paarstoke (powerstroke-too dumb to know im an idi) and git better gas mileage a'doin' it." May God strike me down if im lying. My reply-well, I have 230-odd thousand miles, and A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA. hahaha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts