The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title states, What is wrong with the photo.

I could not help my self today an took this photo and am sharing it with the folks here to get input on what is wrong with this photo.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
No snow?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
South Central Alaska gets snow 2 to 4 weeks after Fairbanks on average.
Not it.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the right track with the gravel.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
What is Wrong with this Photo

They do that to us all the time. Whatever is left over. I still say there should be 5 feet of snow in Alaska in October. You're messing with my preconceptions.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has to do with gravel and grading.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Windrow should be on the outer edge of raodway, not the middle?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What the photo shows is that the grader has gone one side and turned around at the end and then the other side leaving the ridge down the middle. The third pass will level the ridge down the middle of the road.

·
Registered
243 Posts
There's no one leaning on a shovel watching.......

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Yeah but since they can't paint CL on gravel, this berm acts like a double yellow.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Sometimes our blade guys will bring both sides to the center, then put the windrow on the down wind side on a 3rd pass. If he's going to top the center then he's going to give up his crown and that road will be a mess in the spring. How deep is the water in that low water crossing? Looks deep.
AaronSEIA

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Sometimes our blade guys will bring both sides to the center, then put the windrow on the down wind side on a 3rd pass. If he's going to top the center then he's going to give up his crown and that road will be a mess in the spring. How deep is the water in that low water crossing? Looks deep.
AaronSEIA
Aaron,

Thats actually what we do in AK as well. This operator might have had some mechanical issue which required him to return to the shed and then he just forgot...or maybe it was just beer thirty.

:winking:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More like that is the norm for the gov plows, the road slowly grows to the left and right over time.
There are roads that are done by oil field types and they pull the ditches and then re-crown the road.
Gravel roads maintained by City, Borough and State are like in the photo, both short and long.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
More like that is the norm for the gov plows, the road slowly grows to the left and right over time.
There are roads that are done by oil field types and they pull the ditches and then re-crown the road.
Gravel roads maintained by City, Borough and State are like in the photo, both short and long.
Well I respect that this is your thread and all but I have spent a good many years on the Slope, on the Haulroad and on Native Village roads as well as checked grade on everything from airports to "Roads to Nowhere" and I would say they are a good bunch of blade operators by and large no matter where you go...except for maybe the smaller villages where the operator wears many hats but is expert in none.

But you would know the guy who maintains your short road and I don't.

Happy New Year. Hopefully you bought some PFD Sale tickets and can get Outside a bit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts