The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts
The shift schedules are adjusted for altitude. The shifts will happen at lower RPM for a given pedal position.

I have a question or two. I have had three of these trucks equiped with the famous E4OD and I am not very pleased. the latest one is in a 1992 f250 7.3 idi. the trans was just rebuilt by a so called pro. However I have burned that bridge as the trany has been out of the truck more in the last year than it has been in. my current problem is a tork converter that wont stay locked up. running down the road at any speed. you feel it lock then un lock at any tempriture. yes the converter was replaced the oil is new of course driving the truck causes the oil to super heat. this is just the latest problem, any one have an idea? I am getting fed up with fords E40d.

Often a lockup problem is electrical. A burned out brake light can cause this, either side OR the center brake light on the rear of the cab. Just replacing parts without any diagnosis gets very frustrating, not to mention expensive.

I have a 92 with E4OD and know that the later models (95 and up) are suppose to be upgraded. Anyways I will be rebuilding this trans in the future and it was stated above to get the same year or close due to everything electronic working together. Can anyone post a parts list of what I can upgrade to the later model trans and just good upgrades in general when rebuilding? I pull heavy and only want to do this once. Thanks in advanced!

Often a lockup problem is electrical. A burned out brake light can cause this, either side OR the center brake light on the rear of the cab. Just replacing parts without any diagnosis gets very frustrating, not to mention expensive.
Mark, well said. My trailer brake controller was shorting out and causing this behavior with the torque converter lock up. I unplugged it and the transmission behaves like brand new.

98 van coasting issue?

My 98 van seems to have a coasting issue ...when i finally hit overdrive it feels as if Engine Boggs down at first.. As if it's in way too high a gear even though I'm already at 70 mph.. This goes away after a few miles ... And then when i coast at high speed feels like engine rpm drops like im in a neutral at 70 + mph... I can Coast faster than any van ive ever had... I also hear a rattle at higher speed coast ... Sounds like in the tranny.. Engine braking seems to work in lower gears.. it doesn't feel anything like my newer 2001 van. I get back on the accelerated no noise and feels right. Is this how they all are???

Hi, Great information !! Would there be any way to get details of how you resolved speedometer issue? I have put a 95 e4od into a 91 and have same issue. I did however swap solenoid pack and the shift lever but obviously do not have speedometer. was planning to pay to swap output shafts but would prefer a different option.

Thanks!

Coast clutch and OD clutch

Hi all,

Great info here. I was wondering if it's possible to have the coast clutch and OD clutches engaged together when the selector is in the manual 1 position and the solenoid pack unplugged on an E4OD.? If i understand the limp correctly, it defaults to 4th gear and manual 1 engages the coast clutch. I have a serious drag in man. 1 after rebuild . Reverse, man 2 , etc seem great. Thank you

If the OD clutch and the coast clutch are on you'll have a tie up. That's where the output shaft can't turn and the truck won't move. If one of them is dragging, but not fully applied it could do what you're seeing. That will cause extreme wear on the dragging clutch.

I've never seen this condition happen, but it could be the coast and od clutches.

Mark while we are on this clutch deal, I have a question. I have noticed after sitting for weeks these trucks make a sound when coasting at speeds under say 40 mph, that sounds like the coast clutch releasing and engaging back and forth. You can hear it by the way it effects the engine.
They seems to clear after driving for awhile and does not return till they sit for weeks. I noticed this on a fleet that gets rotated to and fro a separate location and lot.

Mark while we are on this clutch deal, I have a question. I have noticed after sitting for weeks these trucks make a sound when coasting at speeds under say 40 mph, that sounds like the coast clutch releasing and engaging back and forth. You can hear it by the way it effects the engine.
They seems to clear after driving for awhile and does not return till they sit for weeks. I noticed this on a fleet that gets rotated to and fro a separate location and lot.
I've never heard that, and have no idea what would cause it.

Great so there must be a problem with my rebuild. Maybe a backwards roller clutch?
If either roller clutch were backwards you'd have a lot worse symptoms than this. My guess is that there is a leak between the coast clutch and the overdrive clutch.

One way to determine that would be with all solenoids connected, push the OD OFF button. If it has the problem in in any gear, then that's what's happening.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.