The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, does anyone know what kind of plastic the air intake box is made out of?

I've tried to glue mine twice, unsuccessfully. Finding a replacement has proven impossible (this is an e350).

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Honestly just do a 6637 setup.
I think it was on this site was a long thread about air filter setups for vans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) no way in hell that will fit 2) already have nice filters for this box.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
1) it's been done. 2) hopefully not a k&n.
Here's another option.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,507 Posts
The intake boxes are made out of polyethylene. It can't be glued, but you can heat fuse it. There are plastic welding rods available and with a heat gun you can weld it. Kind of like oxy-acetylene welding.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Hey, does anyone know what kind of plastic the air intake box is made out of?
Generally, and on most of the Ford parts I've looked at, that information is molded into the part (for recyclers' use). There's a list of some common abbreviations near the top of this page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked pretty hard. The top piece had no indication. Maybe the bottom half does somewhere, but it wasn't obvious.

Some other air intakes (from other vehicles) imply polypropylene so I bought some "GOOP" and will give that a try when it arrives. I'll probably have to preheat/anneal (whatever you want to call it) before applying it. In the meantime I've used packaging tape to patch it.

I tried plastic welding a different kind of plastic once with terrible results. The welding (using special welder which blows hot air) worked at first, but the plastic became brittle and snapped. I somehow doubt polypropylene would be any better but if the GOOP fails I'll be back in Oregon where I can have access to the plastic welder again.

Replacement unit is like $460

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I looked pretty hard.
TMI :nono:
...I bought some "GOOP" and will give that a try when it arrives.
I prefer E6000, which is available clear or black.

I'll probably have to preheat/anneal (whatever you want to call it) before applying it.
That's not necessary for glue - read the packaging for the application temperature range.
Replacement unit is like $460
From where? What brand? Have you checked local JYs, Amazon, & eBay for Ford/MotorCraft ones?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think anyone is making them currently. The ones being sold are likely old stock hence the astronomical prices.

No local junkyards in five different cities had them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts