The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just finished up banging my head against the wall all day!

was getting codes about a misfire on 8 and contribution something in cylinder 6. and was running real rough.

So i spent the day changing the injector on cylinder 8 and burning up the starter - yeah adding insult to injury here!

So get it all done and I get the same codes - reset the turner and was still running rough and repopped the same codes.

I love my fords, but am really getting sick of this truck

2008 f350 powerstroke

showing 240k
rebuilt at 140k
rebuilt again last year at 200k adding studs
rebuilds by shops not me
injector today was by me

why is it doing this in the first place? is it not an injector? is it really fuel....a pump? it still runs out fine...but shakes like a banshee in 5th at low rpms

In referencing the utube videos and all the guys posting all the bad, it really looked nice, everything was clean....nothing looked obvious...the rockers and all looked good....

electrical? this truck has been a gremlin from day one with electrical harness that runs down by the drivers firewall...had to rewre the harness a couple times isolating bad connections and resetting the pcm and tuner...but those were typically the no cruise leading to no starts and then resetting the turner etc to get it to start...nothing like this unless their is a known situation out therre where this is the result of wiring...idk rambling at this point...

DISGUSTED!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just read another post that spoke of the truck needing two(2) injectors even though it only threw a code for one misfire... should I have changed the #6 even though it just said the contribution thing?

·
Registered
212 Posts
check your pressure/volume from the HFCM/lift pump... they aren't monitored by the system, and it just assumes it's 'good'.

the HPFP is capable of priming the system all by itself, especially at high RPM's, but down low? It runs out of volume quickly and can result in contribution codes and the HPFP not being able to generate the pressure required ('cause it ain't got 'nuff fuel, yo)...

I hope you haven't damaged your HPFP by cranking dry... it uses the same fuel it pushes to cool and lubricate itself- and will quickly start to grenade when it's ran dry.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

So i in my infinite lack of wisdom - I reset the tuner againmonday and the truck was running ok - had a 150 mile trip to make and went out on the adventure!

Got 18 mpg running the freeway all the way to my destination - hooked up an older 27' camper and made the return trip of 75 miles.

got 20 miles into it and the miss came back - real bad wit the load on the motor of the camper

rolling along and POP! - Blew the "down tube" on the turbo - if I am saying the right terms

truck would run 25-40 mph under huge distress and the pyro was all over 1000 degrees at that speed - nursed it home on all back roads (love gps)- melted the gas petal off the firewall - that was fun with limited tools in the truck - zip ties and a Gerber multi tool to the rescue!

I am threw!

Took it to Jenkins Diesel and Performance in Iberia Ohio - I previously used another guy for the first two visits for major work and decided another route might be wise

His findings as of date: Plugging a big programmer thing into it:

says it needs all injectors to be safe....

new "stainless down tubes"?

Says the HPFP is ok?

Says with the "big programmer thing" he can make the injector work or some how fool them and the truck runs great?

Can I get some feedback as to thoughts on the diagnosis and does this seems possible?

since 2011 - I have dropped @$10k in the motor and seems disturbing I am here again.

·
Registered
212 Posts
busting the airflow causes the pressure to escape before it makes it to the combustion chamber... the fuel system is delivering fuel and doesn't know the air isn't present. that makes an incredibly rich combustion that likely smoked like a pig and burns stupid hot... by hooking a capable device to it, a tech can alter the FRP to match the expected air, and the engine will run right, until it's loaded. there has to be proper balance between air and fuel... on a diesel fuel is where you get your power, and air controls it- otherwise those injectors would become tiny cutting torches... air gives it something else to burn and absorb- blowing out a down pipe keeps you from being able to shove air at the process.

if he says the HPFP is good, that's good... that is an expensive fix... it still sounds to me like you aren't getting fuel at heavy load- and that could still be your HFCM...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update:

$4552.00 - says this is for all new injectors (Ford Factory) and a solid down pipe for the turbo - says this is going to fix it...

resonable?

any thoughts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE:

So I went and pick truck up yesterday .... lo and behold it still does the same thing. He does not know why and is throwing no codes. The truck runs and drives fine. When sitting here idling it makes a random pop pop vibration in the motor like it has a miss.. so now I am not sure where to go. Thinking about just trading it in! Any thoughts on a Dodge!?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Sounds like no one is actually diagnosing this concern - just pulling codes and loading the parts cannon and firing.

A contribution/misfire code means there is a problem with a cylinder. It could be base engine related, injector related or electrical (even if there is no circuit code) Also, you have one or two cylinders acting up so why did that performance shop condemn all 8 fuel injectors? An entire set of injectors do not go bad at once all on their own, water, chemicals and metal debris will affect all of them, not just one or two and if that was the case the rest of the system should have been condemned. Since the injectors were replaced we can confirm that it's not injectors. That leaves base engine and possibly injector circuit issues including the PCM which is always the last thing to be condemned because you really cant test it - all other possibilities should be ruled out first. Personally, I would want to verify the oil level is not over full, Check the injector fuel trims, look at power balance, run a relative compression test and follow that up with a manual compression test if needed. You could also load test the injector circuits...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Turns out it was more then they thought it's a major internal issue the bearings on the lifters have come out and the want 8500 to fix it plus 2000 to remove the cab I guess my wife was right don't by a ford ... what u guys think gmc or dodge?

·
Registered
99 Posts
If I had to choose Id choose a used dodge. Been thinking this myself lately. So you spent 4552 and now they want 10500 for Christ sake you could of put a motor in it for that much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts