The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the long tube is, that sits between the engine mount and exhaust manifold on the driver's side of the 6.9 engine? It sits parallel to the manifold, is nearly as long as the manifold is, appears to connect to the oil filter housing, and has part number 180584601 stamped on the side.

What is this part, and is it critical to engine function? I'm swapping one of these motors into a different truck, and this piece is interfering with the steering box.

· Registered
17,585 Posts
Anyone know what the long tube is, that sits between the engine mount and exhaust manifold on the driver's side of the 6.9 engine? It sits parallel to the manifold, is nearly as long as the manifold is, appears to connect to the oil filter housing, and has part number 180584601 stamped on the side.

What is this part, and is it critical to engine function? I'm swapping one of these motors into a different truck, and this piece is interfering with the steering box.
I could be wrong but I believe it is the OIL COOLER and yes it is critical to engine function...

· Premium Member
3,840 Posts
How large diameter a tube? 1805846C1 is the part number for the oil cooler housing (International part number, probably stamped on the tube portion of the housing).

· Premium Member
3,840 Posts
Chuckster you were part of a minute faster than me! Oh well, first is first, eh?

· Registered
17,585 Posts
Chuckster you were part of a minute faster than me! Oh well, first is first, eh?
Only cause I'm home alone waiting for the other half to bring dinner :lol:

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome guys, thanks!

Anyone ever switched to an external oil cooler, like you see in front of radiators on most trucks? Is that an avenue worth pursuing, or is it best to try and work around the existing oil cooler?

Also, total aside for Chuckster57, but how do you like your train horns? I was eyeing those for my truck when it's more assembled.

· Registered
12,232 Posts
Our oil cooler has both oil and coolant in it....... hot oil is cooled by the coolant within separate spiral tubes in the cooler....... Work around it!!!!

· Registered
1,850 Posts
Where did you get the motor?
Just asking because the van motor uses a different oil-cooler.

· Registered
850 Posts
Awesome guys, thanks!

Anyone ever switched to an external oil cooler, like you see in front of radiators on most trucks? Is that an avenue worth pursuing, or is it best to try and work around the existing oil cooler?

That cooler nine times out of ten would be the add on tranny cooler for larger trucks that tow.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That cooler nine times out of ten would be the add on tranny cooler for larger trucks that tow.
We're thinking different size trucks ;)

Where did you get the motor?
Just asking because the van motor uses a different oil-cooler.
86 F250HD pickup

edit: Finally found pictures of the van cooler.. I don't think that would solve the issue, but I'm going to go out with the picture later and take a good look. I think my engine mount shims lifted the motor enough to keep the cooler off the steering box *crosses fingers*. Of course, I'll be really annoyed if everything starts slapping together when I start the engine, so I'll have to go see what's what. I guess if all else fails I'll just fab some solid motor mounts :rolleyes: Gives me an excuse to airspring the cab.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.