The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be coming home from Iraq and plan on doing a cab off to make things a little easier while doing a number of fixes/PM. I have the ATS housing, Wastegate, FPR housing (boosts 10psi) and the HPO Crossover tube already, just waiting to get home and put them on. What I am wondering is; What else should I do while I have the cab off? Turbo/Pedestal rebuild? Would I have to rebalance the Turbo after a rebuild? With the ATS housing, the intake is larger, where do I find a boot to fit? I also have a leaking boot on the intake, new boots for that, best brand? I have replaced one of the factory fuel lines already and know they suck, whats the best alternative? I also plan on doing the DIY CCV kit, upgraded Up Pipe gasket and DIY intake. I also have a loud vibration somewhere in my drivetrain I haven't been able to figure out. It only happens when I accelerate, especially from a stop. I can feel it and it seems like it is somewhere behind the tranny, but not sure. I have replaced the hanger bearing, the U-Joints and replaced the fluid in both Diffs. and added the Friction Modifier for the rear, but it is still there. Any ideas on that one? Any feedback and other input is greatly appreciated, please respond.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
the ats does come with a boot to replace the smaller one.

semper fi

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I heard they came with one, but wasn't positive, thank you DJBROWN. Anybody else out there? Just looking for some input.

·
Registered
160 Posts
First thing you do is get your A$$ home safely. Thanks for going to the nutsack for us all back here in the states.

The CCV mod is a good one and it will help keep the engine oil out of your intake system and intercooler.

The tank pickup mod would be a good mod with the tank off. Maybe a regulated return or an AirDog. Maybe a high performance HPOP and injectors and DP Tuner??

I'm saving my Benjamins for a Vegistroke V3 system to run dual fuel (straight veggie oil). Its about $4k with a tank.

That's my $0.02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I really want the Adrenaline and some stage 1 injectors, both rather pricy but dooable. My true main concerne is my mileage. I only get around 12-14 on average w/o anything behind it, maybe 17-19 highway with the wind. My friend has a '99 ext. cab w/ edge and attitude and gets on average 19-21 and he gets on it considerably more than I do. My chip doesn't have a mileage setting either, came with the truck. Anything I can do on the performance end to help my mileage would be great and I hear the HPOP and Injectors help. Air Dog is on the list, just waiting to sell myself on it. As for a chip, I was kinda thinking on going with a Tony Wildman. What do ya think?

·
Registered
312 Posts
your vibration sounds like your driveshaft is unbalanced
i took mine off, had to grease up my slip joint, and make the mistake of not marking a line of where exactly it was. put it back on, drove the truck down the road and the vibration was there. hated it, but had to get use to it. didnt really want to pay the 75 dollars to have it balanced at the shop by me. hah! but theres definitally a good chance that its out of balance. i replaced my u joints right before i did this too. i had a clunk when i started moving from a stop and finally after doing the u joints and servicing the rear end, i found out it was the slip joint (took it apart and used thick wheel bearing grease) and everything was all better. but yeah, id say try taking it off and see if its balanced.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts