The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sudsy-what did you decide? How's your frame rust wise?

·
Registered
829 Posts
I see them from Houston to batonrouge La. On Facebook and craigslist for around 14k. But the price goes up around hunting season and really drop right after.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It's been a while but the decision has been made and the project started - it's going to be a rehab no body swap

A good friend of mine is a master welder and is going to help with the bodywork
My youngest son just graduated from college with an auto degree and is going to help with any non diesel specific issues
I'll be paying a guy $50 an hour to work with us, he's a mechanic who's gone out on his own but has extensive experience with the 7.3 - worked for an ambulance company that ran them

The weak point is going to be Excursion specific issues. I'm sure I'll be stopping in here for advice

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
And here are two to start with ..............

I was told a while ago by a mechanic I wanted to have work with us about a mod that takes the fuel pump out of the tank and also removes the fuel bowl, replacing it with a different filter, he called it an In-Line system
I have no idea what he was talking about but I like the idea, anyone familiar? Is there already a thread here on the subject? I did a search but I'm not sure I was wording it well.

The fill tube to the tank is in pretty rusty shape - $400 for a new metal tube ?? (insert look of shock here)
Would the fill tube system from another Ford vehicle fit?
There's no such thing as an Excursion in any of the junkyards around here but there are a few pickups I could vulture bits and pieces off of.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Greetings Sudsy;
What's your hang up??
Why do you have to stay with a 7.3 ???
Yah, they're great trucks, BUT expensive trucks to maintain..
I'm thinking about selling my X after 18 yrs.
I live in Jax. Fl...
Think about what you'd be willing to pay for a rust free 7.3 X truck...
And save yourself a lot of hassle...
Your said you live in Manalapan, Fl ??
I used in live West Palm Bch, so I'm familiar with the area...
PM me if your interested...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts