The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been using Fleetguard DCA4 coolant additive and Fleetguard 3-way Coolant Test Strips CC2602A. Now it is time to flush my system out completely and have read a lot of good regarding the use of PennCool 3000 and using their Penray Test Strips.

Summarizing from an old post regarding DCA2 vs. DCA2 and PennCool : what dca does fleetrite make, dca2 or dca4

Apparently in the use of PennCool 3000 or using Fleetguard DCA2 one avoids the following problems with DCA4 such as having Sodium/Potassium based buffers and phosphates that turn into abrasives after they flake off the metal and go into the water system causing damage. This damage is caused by too much DCA4 additive to coolant ratio or after extended use without the needed install of a auxiliary coolant filter.

From what I can comprehend if I move over to PennCool from Fleetguard and keep my UPG at 2.5 for my 1993 IDI 7.3 the need to install a auxiliary water coolant filter will not be as critically necessary even if I exceed that UPG ratio. Less baby sitting of the DCA4 titration ratios or overdosing the system causing damage to water pump etc. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding using PennCool 3000 and avoiding the use of installing a coolant filter. My truck sees around perhaps 2000 miles a year or less in operation. Also, apparently obtaining the PenRay test strips are hard to obtain now according to my searches. I will call PenCool help line and see what they say. On a side note, PenCool claims using the 2-way test strip is less confusing then interpreting the 3-way strips and having test strip results askew while attempting to interpret molybdates ratios.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I've never used any of that. I typically use the cheapest ethaline glycol I can find mixed with 50% filtered water. I flush once a year in the fall, so that it is fresh for winter then don't worry about it from there. I have run 7,3 engines since the early 90s and never had any trouble with any cavitation or anything coolant related. The first one I owned ran for 750,000 miles before it broke a crankshaft. Probably would still be running if I had known what a failing dual mass flywheel sounded like.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts