The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious what type of oil everyone uses? What temperature range do you live in? How well does your 7.3 start from a cold? How often do you change your oil? What type of filter do you use?

I have used Motorcraft, and Rotella and so far, the Rotella seems to last longer, and start better. I generally always use the K&N oil filter because of the nut welded to it makes it easy to take off.

I live in Northern Illinois, so we get our fair share of cold weather. Sometimes it takes a while, but it almost always starts.

I change my oil every 5000 miles and do mostly Highway mileage.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Cat 15w-40, but only because I got a drum of it for free. Once that runs out I'll just get whatever Pep Boys has, usually Rotella. I shift to 5w-40 starting in September/October.

I did use Cat 0w-30 once. That thing would start effortlessly, but it is ruinously expensive. Can't imagine the operating costs of an Arctic fleet.

·
Premium Member
14,676 Posts
Rotella 15W40. No problems starting in the middle of winter when temps plunge into the low 70s all the way to triple digits of summer.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
All three diesels get Amsoil. They used to run Rotella T syn and Mobile 1 syn but the oil got black after taking it around the block once. Now with the Amsoil it stays brown for several thousand miles.

Starting in the cold MN Winters is not an issue with the Amsoil. The three trucks never got plugged in once last Winter and all started even on the coldest morning. I change oil every 18-20,000 miles and run Napa Gold filters.

My friend also has a high mile PSD and he runs Amsoil every 5K miles and his cold starts are much better now. I asked him to save his old oil for me!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Farm and Fleet 5w-40 Synthetic has held up good according to UOA,so I'm sticking with it .

·
Registered
507 Posts
Rotella 15W-40 and a Motorcraft filter has worked well for me. I don't have any starting problems until the temperature drops to the teens. The engine turns slowly when starting, but will usually fire up after a few tries as long as the batteries are good. If I plug in the block heater for about 1.5-2 hours before starting, it fires right up just like it was summer.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The 99.5 I used to own used rotella 15-40 and never used the block heater, fired right up. I live at 6300' and winters get cold here in Colorado.

My current 03 does not do as good. I use chevron delo 400 that can be bought at wallymart for less than $13/gal. This will be my first yr knowing I have good glowplugs.

I change my oil every 3-5k depending on my mood.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Rotella 15W-40 here every 3,000 to 5,000 depending on how much time has gone by, sometimes I don't drive it 5,000 in a year. I've been using Fleetguard filters LF9027 which is a bypass filter but I will probably switch to Motorcraft as I'm on my last Fleetguard and they are expensive, don't think I really need them.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I forgot the filter part. I currently use Baldwin filters for everything.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I just started using the full Synthetic Rotella T6 . After putting a new HIPOP and injectors in, it felt like the right thing to do. Its 5-40 instead of the 15-40 they say you rsupposed to use for diesels. I dont know how this affects the Hi pressure oil system, but I Have been having some issues. not sure if they're related to the oil. I think Ill try Amsoil next. Ive heard that you can get a Full Syn in 15-40 with Amsoil.
I live in Eastern NC. By the way, what is a cold start??

·
Super Moderator
25,424 Posts
Delo 400 15W40 year round. Change every 5000 miles. Get the oil and Motorcraft filters from Wal-Mart. I tried Delo 400 10W-30 one winter and didn't notice that much difference, but I do live in the Bananna Belt of Alaska. I think we saw 20 below F for a day or two last winter.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By the way, what is a cold start??
In my definition, a cold start is when the engine is at the ambient temperature of your current climate; hence the cylinders have not been turned over and are cold compaired to running temperature. A cold start could be in the summer, or the winter.

I was curious more on winter starts, and what temperature range do you normally run your vehicle.

Here in Illinois, I have seen -39F and +113F, so we get all sorts of weather here. Mostly in the winter I drive my VW because it started better, however now that its concitered a classic, I have retired it to the garage, and the Ford is my daily driver.

I do not treat my fuel, I dont think these engines should have any more cetane than the fuel pump gives.

·
Registered
507 Posts
In my definition, a cold start is when the engine is at the ambient temperature of your current climate; hence the cylinders have not been turned over and are cold compaired to running temperature. A cold start could be in the summer, or the winter.

I was curious more on winter starts, and what temperature range do you normally run your vehicle.

Here in Illinois, I have seen -39F and +113F, so we get all sorts of weather here. Mostly in the winter I drive my VW because it started better, however now that its concitered a classic, I have retired it to the garage, and the Ford is my daily driver.

I do not treat my fuel, I dont think these engines should have any more cetane than the fuel pump gives.

I think Machiner1 was just being a little cynical. His location of Eastern NC says it all - it probably doesn't get cold enough to qualify as "cold". I would imagine that 50 degrees is considered "cold" there. :icon_wink:

Of course, I could have just misinterpreted that comment , too!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Rotella 15W40 in summer and 10W30 in winter for faster start up.

·
Registered
374 Posts
5w40 rotella synthetic with a purolator pure one filter and changed every 5000miles or 6 months.. Which ever comes first..

·
Registered
67 Posts
10-30 Rotella semi syn Oil filter is one of those big Donaldson's. I do not pull any big loads so I opted for 10-30 because of that. My truck sits a lot in a enclosed barn so I don't put many miles on it,,,but when I need it, I really need it!!!.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ya I was being sarcastic.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Anyone have any opinions on MC 15w40. I started using it again last oil change, I have always heard it is a decent oil. I figured since it's made by Conoco, can't be a bad choice.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts