The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Its made by Conoco this week. Who knows who the low bidder will be for the next batch. I'm sure its great oil - Conoco is a solid company - but people just need to be aware that its not consistently made by the same company.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I understood the sarcastic humor :jester: , i just thought it best to clarify a cold start. Some people believe a cold start is only in the winter, and fail to realise that these 7.3's have a hard time when the engine has been off for a while, if not maintained properly.

Thanks for all your imput so far, looking forward to more :read:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Anybody have any thoughts on Rotella T6. Does the lower viscocity hurt anything? 5w 40 vs 15w 40

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ive used Rotella T6 in my Volkswagen, and had no noticable change, however the engine was freshly rebuilt, and ran really smooth anyway.

Never used it in my PSD because of the price difference.... But I may try it during the winter to see if it starts any better.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I've been using Mobil1 Delvac 1300 15W-40 for the last 80k+ and have always used a Motorcraft filter. Haven't had any complaints up to this point. Truck has 101,800 miles on it now.

-Todd

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Mobil Delvac 1300 or Rotella 15W40 summer, Amsoil fully synthetic 5W30 winter with Amsoil filters including a bypass filter. No starting problems down to -20. Plugged in, it will start anytime.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have shared my mixture in the past, and will again

2 5qt bottles of Motorcraft 15w40
1 4qt bottle of WalMart 15w40
1 qt of Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer
Motorcraft oil filter

I buy all these products from WalMart, except the synthetic Lucas. I started using the Synthetic Lucas on a recomendation from Blackstone, for my race car. With this mixture I change my oil every 7K miles, based on Blackstones 8K mile change interval, and excellent oil analysis results. I have 182K miles on my 7.3 and it is still running strong, even though I am having a starting issue with it right now. Hopefully the new battery cables I ordered will cure this.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Its made by Conoco this week. Who knows who the low bidder will be for the next batch. I'm sure its great oil - Conoco is a solid company - but people just need to be aware that its not consistently made by the same company.
Interesting??

·
Registered
126 Posts
rotella 15/40 in summer 10/30 in winter truck gets plugged in when temp drops bellow 40 because I live 5 miles from work. I usally change oil 2 times a year. I also started to change up oil and add pro long to it to. Seen that on powerstroke help on youtube.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use Lucas 15w40 synthetic and wix filters. Found oil several places for $20 gal, interesting that no one uses this. Texas to Minnesota with good battery's it starts every time regardless of temp

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I have never heard of that before. A quick google search showed their website with a package that states it is still a CI4 rated oil. Do you have a jug you could verify that? It seems all the oils have moved to CJ rating which is necessary for the ULSD crowd but bad for the rest of us.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My mix

1 gall 5w40 Rotella Synthetic
The rest 15w40 Rotella T
Either Motorcraft or Fleetguard Filters.

I find this mix helps negate the romps in cold weather, but is more economical than a full synthetic fill.

150K - oil stays honey brown till 4K mark, uses about 1 qty in 5K

Oil and filter changed at 5K.

Coolhand

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have a simple way of maintaining oil changes with the correct type. I live in the south, so I don't have to worry about changing grades for colder weather.
I have my oil changes that correspond with the odometer. Every 5,000 miles increment on the odometer means an oil/filter change. (ex. I am at 161,000 now. It had an oil change 1,000 miles ago and will have another at 165,000) The other filters and services are set like this as well. I use Motorcraft brand oil, 15W-40, and Motorcraft FL1995 oil filter bought from wally world. Just 1 more way of how to do it!

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Rotella 10w40 dino preferred if its the one on sale; if not, Valvoline Blue, Castrol or Delo. Last fill was Valvoline at 12.99 a gallon from NAPA, same as what's in the garage for the next fill. Last Blackstone, on a 6k change, suggested I would be good for a 7-7.5k interval, but I'll stick to 6k so long as I use dino oil. I like the MobilOne filter when I think to get it on sale as part of the Mobil1 syn oil sales for the syn I use in one of the cars; if not, Ford 1995, PuroOne or Fleetguard filter. All of the above seem to work fine with the 6k interval, which makes the change about twice a year. If I lived in a cold clime I would consider using the Rotella syn, maybe a Fleetguard stratapore filter, and perhaps longer intervals, but I don't .....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Amsoil DME

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been using Rotella T 15/40 since you could buy a case 9 gal.) of it for $18.00. (early 80's) We just had a 2000 Peterbilt (bought new) with a Caterpillar engine that got hot and cracked the head so it was torn down and rebuilt, it has had Rotella T 15/40 in it from day one and had 1.3 million miles on it before the rebuild. The F350 gets Rotella T 15/40

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
My mix

1 gall 5w40 Rotella Synthetic
The rest 15w40 Rotella T
Coolhand
That's just like my Okie friend does it -

I change mine regularly. I use conventional 15w-40 oil in the engine but I like to use synthetic 5w-40 in the HPOP.

Before anyone jumps at this - he was joking. Great sense of humor...:lookaround:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I use Motorcraft 15W40 because the price at WallyWorld is right, and it comes in 5 qt. jugs. When I was using Rotella, I'd have to buy three gallons and 3 separate quarts which are much more expensive than by the gallon.

Motorcraft 5 qt. jugs are just easy to deal with. I usually use Motorcraft filters, also available @ WalMart.

I'm using Rotella 15W40 in my pontoon boat with a new Yamaha 150 hp motor. It's quite popular in the marine world for 4 stroke gasoline powered motors.

See BobistheoilGuy.com for anything you ever wanted to know about motor oil. It's a great source of information--where you can read for hours.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I use Motorcraft 15W40 because the price at WallyWorld is right, and it comes in 5 qt. jugs. When I was using Rotella, I'd have to buy three gallons and 3 separate quarts which are much more expensive than by the gallon.

Motorcraft 5 qt. jugs are just easy to deal with. I usually use Motorcraft filters, also available @ WalMart.

I'm using Rotella 15W40 in my pontoon boat with a new Yamaha 150 hp motor. It's quite popular in the marine world for 4 stroke gasoline powered motors.

See BobistheoilGuy.com for anything you ever wanted to know about motor oil. It's a great source of information--where you can read for hours.
I like this guy.. Motorcraft oil is great for 5,000mi changes and used it on my first oil change the day after I bought my truck before I had time to research oils. I went with Motorcraft because I knew it was a safe choice while I got up to speed. From there I went to T6. I usually bought 4 gallons of T6 and saved the extra .25 gallons for top offs.

Since joining Bobistheoilguy.com I found Amsoil to be a good oil, tired it, loved it and am now a dealer and believer. Although its not a miracle pill and not for everyone, I like it.

I still run Motorcraft filters though.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts