The Diesel Stop banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I just started treating my fuel, we are dropping into tge 20's overnight, so I add 6oz of powerservice to every tank. Im not a huge fan of the added cetane, but i want the anti-gelling properties without the alchol. I have been told Powerservice does not use alchol, but Im not sure if thats a fact...

My truck still burns 3qts of oil a week, and my oil is hardly black, even after 5000 miles. So I just buy Rotella T 15-W40 by the 55gal drum. :eek:

I have 5000 miles on my oil right now, and am debating wether or not to change it....

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G-LTE smartphone

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
If you burn three quarts a week - you've changed it a few times during the last 5,000 miles...

Honestly - I don't think you'll ever need to change it again with that turn-over. Just change the filter every once in a while until you get it fixed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My truck still burns 3qts of oil a week, and my oil is hardly black, even after 5000 miles. So I just buy Rotella T 15-W40 by the 55gal drum. :eek:

I have 5000 miles on my oil right now, and am debating wether or not to change it....

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G-LTE smartphone
That little tidbit about burning 3 quarts of oil in a week would have been nice to have in your beginning post on this thread. :sneaky:

I don't think I'd even drive my truck if it burned 3 qts. of oil in a week. How many miles do you drive in a week?

I just turned 244,000 miles on my odometer of my 2000. I used to be a die hard 3000 mile oil change interval guy until oil and fuel prices got to be outrageous. Now I go 4000 miles between changes. I may use a quart of oil in that 4000 miles, but I've never had to add a quart in between changes. I noticed several people here posted they go 5000 miles between changes. I just can't bring myself to go that far yet. My oil looks pretty black after 4000 miles.

I always use the Motorcraft FL1995 filter, (wal-mart) and I like the Motorcraft 15W-40, the Mobil Del-vac 15W-40, and the Chevron Delo 15W-40 in the summer months. (I usually just get whichever of those 3 brands is cheapest at the time.) In winter months, when morning temps are almost always below, if not well below freezing here, I like to run either Motorcraft 10W-30 Diesel oil, or Rotella T6 synthetic blend 10W-30 Diesel oil. Our Wal-mart used to carry both, then just the Rotella, this year.... niether. :mecry: However, if you're burning 3 quarts of 15W-40 in a week, I certainly wouldn't try running 10W-30.

I think RT hit the nail on the head with just changing the filter every once in a while till you can get it fixed. At 3 quarts a week, you're changing your oil every month already.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I was driving about 700-1000 miles a week, but i lost another injector on monday. Suddenly started knocking loudly on the RH side. I limped home, and parked it. Been driving the Cavalier all week, until I can get the valve cover off to check it

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I was told by an injector guy, that the amount of smoke and oil im burning, He thinks a piston is damaged, probably from an injector tip falling off.... And I should just buy a newer engine.... He also says that im mixing oil and fuel together, so i should change my oil soon, or stop driving it.

Followed doctors orders and stopped driving it.

I have no idea whats wrong with it.

Certainly getting tired of taking the valve covers off all the time.

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Oil, mine came full when I bought it 10 years ago :wink2:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cat 15w-40, but only because I got a drum of it for free. Once that runs out I'll just get whatever Pep Boys has, usually Rotella. I shift to 5w-40 starting in September/October.

I did use Cat 0w-30 once. That thing would start effortlessly, but it is ruinously expensive. Can't imagine the operating costs of an Arctic fleet.
ReefBlue,

There is a Cat Dealer not far from me. Who makes the 15w40 oil for Cat?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is not an ad for Amsoil?!?

I use Amsoil 15W40 HD diesel and Marine along with the new Amsoil Ea 099 filter which keeps my oil clean for about 3000 + miles. These are expensive but with no bypass filter it is better than Ford or other filters. I use my truck to tow a 9000 lb travel trailer with two kayaks on the roof of the truck so it has to work pretty hard all summer. I change my oil in the Fall before storing it all winter and that's it. I also use Amsoil in my transmission, ttransfer case and differentials. I get 600 + miles per tank of diesel with Amsoil Cetane boost and my program for towing by Edge Products.
Cheers, Peter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a 2000 f350 with 318,000 miles on it now. Being in florida i change it at 7k to 8k miles and use the ford motorcraft ( which is drsigned for your motor ) and fram oil filter for 10k miles. I also change my fuel filter every oil change. Beats dealing with a messed up injector. Motor compression is with in specs. This motor is much better than my 6.0 and no matter how many oil changes and fuel filters injectors still gets messed up due to the heat. No reason to buy all that fancy stuff if you have a constant maintence. Looking forward to see my truck running well at 500k miles

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
ford motorcraft ( which is drsigned for your motor )
Where to begin...

First, neither Ford nor Motorcraft make oil. Motorcraft oil is simply produced by the lowest bidder. There have been several vendors that fill the Motorcraft bottles since this platform was introduced.

Second, the engine isn't even a Ford design. It's an International engine. And "Ford Motorcraft" didn't design any oil for International.

While Motorcraft oil is certainly a fine oil this week, who knows what the future holds when Conoco gets underbid as the supplier. I'm sticking with Rotella.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use the Mobil 1 Delvac. The engine runs pretty quietly so I assume it's doing ok. I just bought the truck with 110,000 miles on it and I wasn't sure what the previous owner used so I used the Delvac because O'Reilly's had it on sale for $12.97 a gallon so I bought the limit of 8 gallons. I figure that will get me through to 120,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Lol thread is about what i use. Thanks for letimg me know who made what.
While I am gratified I was able to make you laugh out loud, I hope I didn't overdue it to the point you were rolling on the floor at the same time. Wouldn't want you to hit your head.

I understood the point of the thread. I simply didn't want you laboring under the delusion that "Ford Motorcraft...drsigned (sic)" the oil for this engine.

Being in florida i change it at 7k to 8k miles and use the ford motorcraft ( which is drsigned for your motor ) and fram oil filter for 10k miles.
So, you state you change your oil every 7-8k miles and your Fram oil filter every 10K. Could you explain why you don't just change the oil filter when you change your oil? Does this really have to do with you being in Florida as you stated?

·
Registered
641 Posts
I run the Delo synthetic usually a mobil 1 filter and do a 10k mile oil change starts fine in these brutal so. cal. winters.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ams oil , filter every 10k and change 12 or 15 depending on much hauling i do

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
My favorite oil is clean oil. I change it every 3,000 - 3,5000 miles. For the last couple years I've been using Delo 5w-40. Prior to that I used Rotella 15w-40 or Delo 15w-40, most of the time it was Rotella. I have had an oil analysis with all three. There is no difference in engine wear between the three.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts