The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my original wheels from my 99 F250 that I'm trying to sell on Craig's list since I don't need them anymore and I always thought all 8 lug Ford wheels were the same. I've had some guys asking me questions about the lug spacing and saying that Ford changed the wheels to a metric size around the time my truck was built. Last guy came and actually looked at the wheels and said that my wheels were for the newer Fords because they were metric. So does anybody know what the deal is and how I can verify just what I have?

·
Registered
187 Posts
The superduty trucks have a 8 on 170mm circle and the old body trucks were 8 on 6.5"
I got my rims from a friend who bought them for his obs truck but they wouldn't fit his truck.

Yours will fit 99-04 trucks
In 05 they changed the backspacing of the wheels and i think the rotors are too big to fit a 16 inch wheel but the bolt pattern is the same.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So a set of stock 18" wheels off a 2008 should fit a 2003 but the stock 16" wont fit a 2008?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
So a set of stock 18" wheels off a 2008 should fit a 2003 but the stock 16" wont fit a 2008?
Correct, because for the '05 model Ford went to bigger brakes and 17" wheels, hence the higher GVW of 13000 lbs versus 11500 lbs in the '04 and older (Dually model anyway).

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
No. Neither will fit the other truck.

The 18" 2008 SRW wheels will bolt onto the 2003 SRW truck, because the bolt pattern is the same. But the offset is not even close to right. So don't do it.

The 16" wheels will not clear the brake calipers on the 2008.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Will the factory 19.5" wheels from a F450 fit my truck? I've been playing with the idea.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The superduty trucks have a 8 on 170mm circle and the old body trucks were 8 on 6.5"
I got my rims from a friend who bought them for his obs truck but they wouldn't fit his truck.

Yours will fit 99-04 trucks
In 05 they changed the backspacing of the wheels and i think the rotors are too big to fit a 16 inch wheel but the bolt pattern is the same.

Thanks for the help, it will likely come in handy next time someone calls for those wheels.

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Smokey Wren, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So tell me this???? 17x9 wheel off a 99 F250 with a 8 on 170mm offset WILL or WILL NOT fit a 06 F250? if not is it because of the back spacing?
Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
If I remember correctly, the backspace on a 99-04 wheel was 4.5", and the backspace for 05 and up was 5.5". (assuming talking F250/350 with 8x170 lug pattern)

So if you put a 05-up wheel on a 99-04 you can end up with rubbing because the wheel is sitting an inch closer to the suspension, etc. Some people have used wheel spacers, but other have discouraged that.

However, putting a 99-04 wheel on a 05-up should work as long as the wheel is big enough in diameter to clear the bigger brakes on 05-up trucks....

Could be wrong... much smarter people here will correct me in no time if I am :)

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
So tell me this???? 17x9 wheel off a 99 F250 with a 8 on 170mm offset WILL or WILL NOT fit a 06 F250?
It will not be a proper fit.

'99-'04 stock rims have one quarter-inch of offset. '05-up have 1.57 inches. That's 1.32 inches difference.

A 17x9 rim off a '99 is not a Ford stock rim. All Ford stock rims for '99 F-250 SuperDuty SRW pickups were 16x7. And any aftermarket rim is suspect because the SuperDuty pickups require hub centric rims and almost all aftermarket rims were lug centric. Weld and Alcoa made expensive hub-centric aftermarket rims, but any less-expensive rims were probably lug centric. A hub centric rim has exactly 4.93" pilot bore (big center hole in the rim). The cheap aftermarket rims will have 5" or bigger pilot bore.

...if not is it because of the back spacing?
Yes.

Ford specs don't mention back spacing, but offset affects back spacing. So if there is 1.32" difference in offset, there will be 1.32" difference in back spacing.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Late in getting to this thread...

...and hoping that Smokey and others still look at it:

So - one's looking through Craigslist or garage sales or what have you, and one finds some rims, OEM or otherwise hub-centric, with just that right 4.93" diameter....but the seller doesn't know what year they really are (or you don't trust him/her)....

....now: with the rims on hand, other than mounting them on one's own truck, HOW do you determine/measure the backspacing????

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
....now: with the rims on hand, other than mounting them on one's own truck, HOW do you determine/measure the backspacing????
Backspacing I don't know. But offset is fairly easy to see with the naked eye, and easy to measure with a stick ruler or even a tape measure.

Find the exact center of the rim, bead to bead. Then look at the backside of the rim where the rim touches the hub when it's bolted on. How far is that surface with the bolt holes from the center of the rim, side to side? If it's about the same (a quarter inch offset), then it's a '99-'04 rim. But if it's over an inch offset (1.57") then it's an '05-up.

Or with a measure, determine the exact distance from bead to bead, then divide by two. Then measure that distance on the backside of the wheel at the mounting surface. It should be evident whether the offset is 0.25" or 1.57".

But if it's a Ford take-off stock rim, the practical way to tell is the diameter of the rim. If it's 16", then it's a '99-'04. But if it's 17" or 20", then it's '05-up. If it's 18" then it's probably '05-up, but Ford made a few 18" rims for the 2004 Harley Davidson and King Ranch, so pay attention. ;)

·
Registered
944 Posts
Heh. For once, a term that means what I thought it did....thanks, Evan and Smokey.

·
Registered
409 Posts
How much of an offset error is still OK? I'm looking at rims that will be at least 5mm more than the 1/4" required for my truck.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Ted,
I don’t think there is any hard & fast rule for aftermarket wheel dimensions.

Can you find the name of manufacturer and any model and size number stamped on the wheel? Then you can look up the actual specs.

My initial hunch is No they will not fit due to different backspacing but I think the only surefire way to know is by my instructions above.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts