The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, been viewing the site for awhile, but new poster. Making the switch from Ford gas to Ford Diesel and I'm looking to pick up a used truck. I'm sure its a thread that's been done before but I can't seem to find it. What year(s) are good so steer clear of in the Powerstroke ? I seem to recall early 00's maybe? Thanks for any and all help!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'd avoid the 1998 models.:D
Yeah, I've never heard a good thing about a 1998 Superduty!

A lot of folks on this forum say that the 6.0 L engine (2003-2007) should be avoided, but if you go over to the 6.0 forum, people seem to be as happy with their trucks as with any other. Nevertheless, if I were personally looking for a new truck, I'd try to find an early '03 with a 7.3 L engine. Ford (Navistar, actually) made over 2 million of them, and no other engine has that kind of track record.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips! I seemed to remember hearing something like, "avoid the 01-03's" , but I could not find anything concrete. Thanks for helpin' a new poster as well!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I seemed to remember hearing something like, "avoid the 01-03's" , but I could not find anything concrete. Thanks for helpin' a new poster as well!:thumbsup:
They might mean try to find a 99-00 with forged internals vs the 01-03 But in my opinion any late 7.3 is the way to go....:ford:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
2003 and up.:wink2::jester:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Search for Powerded Metal Rods (PMR), Mechanical Diode Transmission, and 03 - 04 6.0s. That should give you a good start.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
The powdered metal rods are only an issue if you mod over 400hp. If 400 hp is ok for you, and if great reliability is what you are looking for, then any 7.3 turbo from 1999-2003 will do you fine. The weakest point of the 7.3 Powerstroke was the automatic tranny. If you rebuild it with a Suncoast kit, you will be set. The 7.3 "Stroke" is by far, the most dependable diesel engine out there....even more so than the Cummins. Stay away from the 6.0's(commonly known as 6-leakers) and the 6.4's(commonly known as sootbags). I believe that the 2002/2003 7.3 powerstroke is one of the best diesels ever made, even with the tranny situation. After that, the 1997 PS was also a good one for longivity and reasonable power.

Reactions: benz97

·
Registered
55 Posts
Check out the great videos at the powerstrokehelp website. It will give you a very good comparison of the 7.3 vs 6.0.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would agree with the above comment that anything after 02 is questionable at best --- that said I am getting ready to sell my 02
G

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
i went thru the same thing when i was considering a new superduty. i was told the 7.3 was the only way to go and steer clear of the 6.0. i started looking and promptly found that a 00-03 7.3 cc 4x4 with 90-160k was selling for more than a 70-90k 6.0. i waited a bit shopped around and at the fist of the gas hike when people were dumping their diesels for nothing and the dealerships flooded with nice trucks i bought a 2004 6.0. with 83k. i now have 95k on the truck absolutely love it. got the truck it has practically every option shy of a moon roof and a rear slider for 13k. i searched alot and it seems the key to buying a 6.0 is to get the vin and get an oasis repot. if the truck has a bad history run. the 6.0 are great trucks dont let a few bad apples steer you away from a truck that is fun to drive

·
Registered
766 Posts
Love my 2000, will not trade it for a new truck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Love My 99 Bulletproof 7.3

·
Registered
8 Posts
i went thru the same thing when i was considering a new superduty. i was told the 7.3 was the only way to go and steer clear of the 6.0. i started looking and promptly found that a 00-03 7.3 cc 4x4 with 90-160k was selling for more than a 70-90k 6.0. i waited a bit shopped around and at the fist of the gas hike when people were dumping their diesels for nothing and the dealerships flooded with nice trucks i bought a 2004 6.0. with 83k. i now have 95k on the truck absolutely love it. got the truck it has practically every option shy of a moon roof and a rear slider for 13k. i searched alot and it seems the key to buying a 6.0 is to get the vin and get an oasis repot. if the truck has a bad history run. the 6.0 are great trucks dont let a few bad apples steer you away from a truck that is fun to drive
I would agree with your point about researching the truck. Some have better luck than others. But even after the smoke clears...there is alot more than a "few bad apples" They had enough problems with these trucks that there is a permanent black spot on their rep with the 6.0s

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I'd like to know the percentage of 6.0's over 100k that had NO warranty issues vs 7.3 to 100k with no warranty issues. Then I'd like to see how many 6.0's went 200k with NO issues and how many 7.3's went 200k with NO issues, other than normal maintenance situations. Most 6.0 owners that I know, made sure that they traded off their "leakers" at or before the 100k warranty became an issue. No doubt that the 6.0 could make some decent power, but dependability is the thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love my 6.0! I have an 03 with 170k on it! Idk if it's been bulletproofed or not but I do know it's fun as hell to drive!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Personally, I would avoid the 6.4l trucks. I would only buy a 6.0l truck if I had enough extra money to bulletproof it. My favorites are either the 99-03 7.3l or the 6.7l. If I bought the 7.3l, I would put aside enough money for a transmission rebuild. Personally, I chose a 2001 7.3l, and I am happy with my choice.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had to put a transmission in at 81k miles. Victim of Ford's decision to use a mechanical diode in the '01 Superduty. Certainly a big ticket repair. I was unhappy to have pay that bill but I'm very happy with my truck otherwise.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts