The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine running about 800RPM hot and cold, day and night. Don't see any difference of idle with the engine temp. Probably fast idle solenoid how do you diagnose that ? Truck is 1991.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
In gear it's 600 RPM. Check your throttle cable to make sure it's not sticking, make sure both springs are intact.

Is the plunger on the fast idle solenoid staying extended?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Mine running about 800RPM hot and cold, day and night. Don't see any difference of idle with the engine temp. Probably fast idle solenoid how do you diagnose that ? Truck is 1991.
Assuming you have a tach.
Adjust the idle speed to 650 - 700.
The cold idle solenoid plunger should just be touching the throttle tab, see pic.

With a cold engine start, cycle the throttle WOT one time, that sets the cold idle solenoid plunger to idle speed 950 - 1000 RPM.
Adjust the cold idle plunger to achieve that. Adjust with a 1/4" wrench, screw plunger in or out.

When the pass side head reaches 120*F, the cold idle solenoid should de-energize and the idle should return to the 650-700 idle speed. The temp sensor is like under the alternator in the head. That sensor also controls the IP cold idle advance solenoid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
750 to 800 when cold but I have to tap the throttle to get mine to kick in.

once its run for about a minute or 2, it drops back to 600-650.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts

That's because the fast idle solenoid isn't strong enough to push the throttle lever.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't normally have any issues unless it hasn't been run in a while. then I get that typical miss until I get it up and running and rev it just a bit a time or two.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts

Ain't that what I said in the above post?

With a cold engine start, cycle the throttle WOT one time, that sets the cold idle solenoid plunger to idle speed 950 - 1000 RPM.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After rediagnosis, idle speed is 600 Rpm when cold and then it stick at 800 RPM when hot, I'll check for plunger sticking. Truck is Zf5

1 - 11 of 11 Posts