The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just drove down from Kingman, AZ (Where I live - "close to retirement") to San Diego, CA (Where I am stationed), In my 96 F350 7.3L 210000miles....

At the ThousandPalms "Flying J" I checked the oil and it looked low and wierd - but I couldnt recognize the smell (seemed to be a combo of stuff).. It was NOT chocolate milk looking as if it was pure antifreeze.. but it did have some bubbles and was a runny... So I dumped in 3 bottles of LUCAS engine oil additive (to thicken up the mix) to get me the remaining 138miles to base so I could get underway yesterday morning (didnt wanna miss ships movement).. I didnt have the time Monday morning when I got in to check everything very thorough due to the time and it was dark out (0330). but it almost smelled like diesel and antifreeze.. like I said a wierd smell.. the exhaust had ZERO smoke of any kind.. but did smell of oil.
(Usually a 6hr trip - ended up being a 10hr trip, cause I wanted to take an easy).. ..

So I have came to the conclusion of (All base on Internet Searching):
- Possible blown head gasket
- I need to pressure test my coolant system
- Probably will have to replace the injector cups (will know forsure when I remove the injectors)
- should probably replace the injector O-rings (Speaking of this - Anyone have the numbhers for the injector O-Rings from VITON)
- Need to check the coolant overflow for oil slick.

Is there anything else I need to look at?? I did atleast mark the coolant overflow bottle so after this week of underway I can see if there is a difference.. and as far as fuel.. well all I could do is mark where the needle was at when I turned it off.

Thanks for any assistance and or insight..

Tim

·
Registered
813 Posts
also check your fuel filter for oil contamination, if the filter is black... it usually means injector orings are shot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Could be your engine oil cooler.
I just did mine. Different sympton though, I had an oil leak coming out of the oil cooler o-ring.
But oil AND coolant come together at the oil cooler.
Just a thought.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts