The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a late 2006 6.0 with 117,000 miles. The HPOP has been replaced, the oil cooler has been upgraded, and the EGR has been deleted. Along with a coolant flush with ELC, a straight pipe, and a tune to turn CEL light off for EGR. All of these done before 100,000 miles and everything looked absolutely fine just wanted to go ahead and get them outta there. My question is is it safe to move on to performance parts like an SCT with innovative diesel tunes? I really don't have the money or the time to stud it yet but I'm not hurting for more power

·
Registered
266 Posts
Head gasket issues are inevitable with a 6.0L. It's only a matter of time. Stay away from the race tunes and towing heavy loads and you'll be fine for a while

·
Registered
312 Posts
The biggest thing I did to my 6.0, besides the studs and HGs and so on, was the FICM. I sent it to FICM.com for a diagnostic which it failed. I had them rebuild it and install the atlas 40. With the atlas 40 I really dont need a tune. It runs great with enough power for me. I really recommend it. It doesnt effect your HGs at all.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
You can get head bolt friendly tunes which are safe. We offer them.

However, with a 6.0L, it is a toss up and nothing is 100% "safe". I know on my 6.0L I had head gasket issues at 40k miles. And that was running the stock tune the entire time. We also have customers that have been running our Extreme tune on stock head bolts for quite some time without issues. I wouldn't recommend doing that though.

All you can do it prep for the inevitable. At some point you will need to do studs.

The tune we usually recommend for non-studded trucks is our 80HP Daily/Light Tow. Great tune to bump up performance, but not crazy enough to tear everything up.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Run some can tunes, or be adventurous with some Eco/ light custom tunes. Definitely agree with ficm tuning but still, on stock head bolts, tread lightly, atlas 40 is plenty! Don't forget billet turbo wheels, intakes!

Sent from
AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
724 Posts
Oh yea, I would look at quick tricks, and gearhead for tuning when your studded, innovative are good too, but I don't like the harsh shift on my tranny.

Sent from
AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
The best thing I ever read about it was something Diesel Power published some years back. The gist was, you can tune a 6.0 and get a lot more power and it won't break any more than it already will. So if you tune it will it increase the likleyhood of blowing a HG? Maybe, but on the other hand at 117k it could blow a HG starting it tomorrow, or it could go another 100k before it happens. What's my point? It will happen eventually; its inevitable. Personally, I'd do the HGs and studs and then tune it. Why take the risk? A truck that's fun to drive quickly becomes no fun to drive when its parked because its got water in a cylinder and won't turn over.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The best thing I ever read about it was something Diesel Power published some years back. The gist was, you can tune a 6.0 and get a lot more power and it won't break any more than it already will. So if you tune it will it increase the likleyhood of blowing a HG? Maybe, but on the other hand at 117k it could blow a HG starting it tomorrow, or it could go another 100k before it happens. What's my point? It will happen eventually; its inevitable. Personally, I'd do the HGs and studs and then tune it. Why take the risk? A truck that's fun to drive quickly becomes no fun to drive when its parked because its got water in a cylinder and won't turn over.

Agreed

Sent from iPhone PSD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts