·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best off the shelf cps I am looking for one to throw in the toolbox

·
Registered
628 Posts
Which one do you have in your truck now?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Best one is the one from NAPA, pn CSS1103. There is a very long thread from Maryland Nick on the superiority of this one.

·
Registered
628 Posts
There are several good options, and at least as many long discussions... the point to my question was that if 5he one you have currently isn't necessarily the best one for you to be using (but it's still good), then by default it should be the spare. Buy the one you want (I get the purple oring one from riffraff and like it just fine) and throw the old in the box...

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gator I am not sure which one is on my truck. It was on it when I bought the truck . Just thought I would buy one so I don't get stranded. I spend a lot of time in the woods with no cell service.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
Get one from the dealer. There are post all over where a owner has one in their truck from a parts store and the truck isn't running right until they put a Ford one back in.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
For plain reliability with no modifications get a ford blue or grey cps. Dieselorings or your dealer carries both.

The blue one is for 95-97 trucks but works good in the 99/03's.

I wouldn't run the Napa one without the chokes on the wiper harness. And the grey ford cos lasts the longest.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Buy it from Ford, don't buy the crap from a parts store:winking:

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
For plain reliability with no modifications get a ford blue or grey cps. Dieselorings or your dealer carries both.

The blue one is for 95-97 trucks but works good in the 99/03's.

I wouldn't run the Napa one without the chokes on the wiper harness. And the grey ford cos lasts the longest.
Does the Blue one retard timing slightly?

I have the grey cps from IH which is identical to the grey Ford, correct?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
The Napa Echlin is not crap. It's is the Ferrari of CPSs. You don't have it right you might stall with the wipers, in most cases on intermitant. Not all is this case unlike a Ferrari, especially older. You just to have old Mario the mechanic get it right. Non of those ford grey or Int. Blue give you a .7 on number 8 perdels. If Mario uses that cps and has everything else right, you can have glass, the quietest idle, more power and fuel efficiency.
Now the title is for the best spare. In my mind it's one in the same, either way really. By that I mean, if you had used the Echlin and gotten things straight. I want the same in my glovebox. If I had not used it and or still have a grey or blue, keep one of those in your glove box because it's not yet proven that Ferrari might stall when wipers are on intermitant. The grey or blue is gauarranreed petty much to start you back up from a complete failure, in that worst case your old(probably ford) left you on side of the road on a day it was also raining.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
The blue cps that retards timing is the one for the dt466 cps.

The Echlin has good perdels but you have to put the chokes on to prevent stalling.

I have a napa Echlin and bwd cps. Both ran great but the truck would stall on intermittent it full wipers. Which was some scary stuff!

The ford cps aren't the best for power or idle but they flat work.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The blue cps that retards timing is the one for the dt466 cps.

The Echlin has good perdels but you have to put the chokes on to prevent stalling.

I have a napa Echlin and bwd cps. Both ran great but the truck would stall on intermittent it full wipers. Which was some scary stuff!

The ford cps aren't the best for power or idle but they flat work.
Talk about scary stuff - I had the blue International in my truck, pulling a car on a trailer, and it stalled in the middle of a busy intersection. Was only probably only about 5 seconds, but it seemed longer than that! The grey Ford that was in before the International one would stall regularly for me, so in my experience they flat fail.

Since I've had the NAPA one I havent had a single stall. I did put the chokes on the cps wires, but havent done that on the wiper motor wires yet, although I do have to admit I havent driven in the rain yet (yes, my truck is mostly a garage queen). I have the large choke for the wiper wires, just havent put it on yet.

For me, Im thankful to Nick for pointing me in the direction of what I believe has solved an annoying, embarassing and potentially dangerous problem. Not only that, but the NAPA CPS's are way cheaper than both the Ford and Intl ones, so are a bargain in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
What is the best off the shelf cps I am looking for one to throw in the toolbox
I suppose it depends on whether you have chokes installed or intend to install chokes.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would like to see pics of chokes and were to install. I can do almost anything. But I am a retard when it comes to wiring.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But like most Marines I can follow picture directions.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
+1 Texkenusmc--
Would not mind having that Echlin in my toolbox but install pictures of the chockes please :)

Semper Fidelis

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
You just have to do it my way. In the thread people report problems but upon inquiring, it comes to light no he didn't. You don't do 85% of a brake job, you don't do it in Nick's mod.
Apples to apples( Echlin and Echlin) and chokes installed as outlined in beginning of thread.
There was one that did but had problem but replaced it with a new one and all was good. I've seen that once with grey OEM as well. Never seen a stall on while going down the road, only idling in park and on intermitant, not to say it couldn't happen but my testing procedure is well listed and recommend it due to safety reasons so you won't be on the road and in addition to that, I spent like two hours with that hose creating different conditions, from full on down pour to light, to ultra fine mist, to letting them run on a dry windshield after it wiped water away.
Another issue is a lot of people run straight to trying a new cps first due to it being easy to change and it's relatively low cost. Now you have a truck with the Ferrari of CPSs in there. Did you choke it right? Did you forget you have prison yard HID lights or other equipment installed? Is the truck trying to run better bring to light or exasperating other underlining problems?

I ask you, Are you ready to pull on those mechanic coveralls on with the Mario or Elio name patch on it, grab a salami sandwich and head out to the shop to take a step in a series of items and modifications in getting the awesome 7.3 to a top tier running state?
Make those from the last that toiled for hours, weeks, months squaring away inherent engine or an engine control issue on an engine that's awesome but has always held back from the true pinnacle of perfection it truly can be?
Nick's cps mod is just one very big step in that direction. Lots of money, time, hair loss/ greying, electrical engineer friendship straining, all taken out of the equation for you.

Mario's cover, a salami sandwich, say hello Bella for for starting and follow instructions.
Once tested and vetted on your truck after following 100% of instructions and testing, it's the next step.

I also recommend downloading the free "Db" app. It's a decile app that not only shows the number, it will equate it to something like,"loud Sreet" quiet conversation" and so on BUT what's really cool is moving across the screen is a spiked or fuzzy type of read out. I do not know the word for it but is in movies all the time.
You can doing a reading right from the beginning of getting to perfection every step. You can do reading in front set on a phone, video with another devise, lost it to YouTube and then here. We could actually have a fun completion. It would have to have two catagories; one for single shots and one for split shots, to keep it far.
I can tell you my readings swing between only 2-3 decibels louder than a 6.7. That is also with kick panels off.

·
Registered
473 Posts
+1 Texkenusmc--
Would not mind having that Echlin in my toolbox but install pictures of the chockes please :)

Semper Fidelis
What is this "chokes" thing?????

I've had good results with the Ford CPS, never tried a NAPA one, but the one I bought a Advance Auto caused stalling issue's in the rain.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts