The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your vehicle have a Spare Tire?

In the event that your vehicle does have a spare assembly, whether it be full size or a compact, do you know the condition?

Like other tires, a spare tire can be impacted from exposure to UV, from heat, and other conditions. To avoid having spare tire troubles, check out our write-up linked below and if you're in need of a replacement spare or an entire spare assembly, shoot us a PM and we'll make sure you're taken care of!

·
Registered
339 Posts
A related, and perhaps more important question is: if you need the spare can you actually get the miserable SOB out of its storage location? Last summer I had a flat on my F250 while towing a gooseneck trailer on a gravel road. I had jacks, a good spare and no hope of getting the tire out from its location under the truck bed. It turned out I needed that stupid little gadget with the funny shape on the end that Ford uses to prevent spare tire theft, not that stealing spare tires is a huge issue out here in the hinterlands. I so rarely lower the spare that I didn't realize what I was doing wrong. Eventually I lost patience, phoned a buddy and had him pick up my cordless grinder, every spare battery he could find and a couple of cutting discs. Eventually I managed to cut the tire loose.

The point being that - in addition to checking the condition of your spare - you should check to ensure that you can actually remove it from storage in order to use it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A related, and perhaps more important question is: if you need the spare can you actually get the miserable SOB out of its storage location? Last summer I had a flat on my F250 while towing a gooseneck trailer on a gravel road. I had jacks, a good spare and no hope of getting the tire out from its location under the truck bed. It turned out I needed that stupid little gadget with the funny shape on the end that Ford uses to prevent spare tire theft, not that stealing spare tires is a huge issue out here in the hinterlands. I so rarely lower the spare that I didn't realize what I was doing wrong. Eventually I lost patience, phoned a buddy and had him pick up my cordless grinder, every spare battery he could find and a couple of cutting discs. Eventually I managed to cut the tire loose.

The point being that - in addition to checking the condition of your spare - you should check to ensure that you can actually remove it from storage in order to use it.
Very good point, Bob - it's important to know where all the necessary tools are located and that they are present in the vehicle.

I ran into a similar situation (sorta) when I first met my now wife. She had a flat and didn't know how to change it so she phone me for help. I wasn't familiar with how to release the spare from under her vehicle and of course there was no manual in the vehicle to reference. Luckily being in the industry I've had experience with similar cars and found where the terminal was after a short while to crank down the spare.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts